Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

the 'green' VR that does 40.8 mpg!!!!

thought i'd just share this with you lot as i was shocked.....

left the house yesterday (worthing) and drove to dover. realised half way there that i'd done a homer simpson and come out with no wallet and no money. excellent

now i know i had about 23/24 quids worth of fuel at the most as it was empty as fek when i put the last lot in. so i just drove like a coffin dodger on the way there, and on the way back i just tucked in behind a wagon and crossed every possible part of my body and settled down for a rather anxious couple of hours and another 115 miles.

my baby returned 40.8 miles per gallon which was supported by the amount of fuel i had and distance i went, so computer is ok.

holy sh*t! 40.8 mpg from a 2.9 vr........ now that aint bad.

can i just say it is usually about 60% of that ;)

i've seen figures like that running at 60-70 constantly - trouble is, except in dire circumstances as those mentioned, no-one can resist having a bit lark around......:)

i was just sitting at a constant 58 to 60 mph mate. amazing what even the slightest tickle on the throttle would do to the mpg - then would take ages to creep back up again. sitting right behind a lorry helps a bit i reckon - i let him know i was there a few times then just tucked in.

pretty darn good i reckon. i was EXTREMELY nervous though :)

lash or thrash ? - up our way, a lash is a pee :) must've been all that time sat behind the lorry worrying - plyed havoc on your bladder ;)

i once saw mpg in the 50's in the VR but that was a sub 30mpg trundle back from my parents house (about 10 miles) stuck behind some old biddy in a corsa and no hope of overtaking, now thats torture! still, i got to take in alot of the northumberland countryside which would normally be rushing past too quickly to apreciate.

in my world, a lash means treating something badly. a lashing ya know?

i certainly didn't get some opti and go out for a slash! :)

I had 39 mpg out of my old Golf VR6 over a 200mile journey, drove like the pope. The unbelievable thing is, that was the journey I got my only speeding ticket on.

i have a small 'hillclimb route' on the way home. have been 'lashing' it up there for years. i once remember in my golf vr seeing a return of 8 mpg! not too bad at all!!!

Thats impressive, my missus can't get that in her Golf Vr6....and she drives like a granny everywhere :p

Thats what she tells you lol bet on her own shes like schumacher???

Having test driven a VR on the weekend, it seems they're built for motorway cruising. They love it. And they also sound lovley with a bit of right foot action!

Having test driven a VR on the weekend, it seems they're built for motorway cruising. They love it. And they also sound lovley with a bit of right foot action!

spot on mate, they love big roads , they dont like pottering around town, well not when they are lowered

Well I've had mine at a regular 44mpg..... but recently it only seems to get to 39mpg no matter how much of a granny I am.

Still 800mile drag to Munich in less than 2 weeks. So we'll see what that costs me ;) Glad work are paying £200 for fuel *evil laugh*

Got 44mpg out of the G60 the other day too. Just crusing on the motorway at 70mph with no harsh accelleration or deceleration. I've got a pic of the MFA read out on my phone somewhere.

yeah but i can make mine read about 65mpg if i reset it whilst cruising on the motorway. kinda cheating though....

iirc 99.9 mpg if your going down hill :wink: