Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Insurance and Vibratechnic uprated engine mounts

Hi

I'm with Elephant.co.uk (which is Admiral). Only been with them for 6 months so not sure how flexible or good they are regarding certain modifications. My car is a Golf VR6 (mark3).

I recently had Vibratechnic uprated engine mounts fitted (front and gearbox mounts only). It hasn't dawned on me that this may affect my insurance as it isn't a performance modification.. just makes the engine parts more reliable... however I always like to be honest just to be safe... should I tell them?

Will my new engine mounts make my premium go up??!

Cheers for any help

Thanks

Matt

If you like to be honest, tell them. Personally I can't see it making a blind bit of difference to your premium. Mine never went up with a Scorpion Exhaust, RamAir filter, Konis and Eibachs.

Don't bother, mounts are mounts. Insurance assesors won't know the difference.

And why front and Gearbox? You need front and rear to balance the oppposing forces. A solid rubber MK2 diesel one is all you need on the box.

as it isn't a performance modification..

hmm or is it ? surely it lays the power down quicker without the engine slopping around in the bay

if you feel better tell them , it really depends how daft they are , i told one insurance i had a legal aftermarket end can on my bike and they wanted an engineers report LOL

Don't bother, mounts are mounts. Insurance assesors won't know the difference.

And why front and Gearbox? You need front and rear to balance the oppposing forces. A solid rubber MK2 diesel one is all you need on the box.

Cheers for your replies guys. I agree with your comment about not bothering to tell them - it is just an uprated engine mount.

The Phirm told me not to change the rear engine mount as that is directly next to the mark 3 golf's steering column/rack and would cause undue vibrations through the steering wheel. They also said it was in very good condition as it doesn't take the strain quite as much as the other two mounts. I may get it done in the future... how much would it cost for just the Vibratechnic rear mount and how long to fit approx? The Phirm did my other two in half hour.

Any other comments on whether I should tell my ins company bout my uprated mounts? Who else is with Elephant and have told them - what did they say?

Cheers

tell them, or at least say that you are thinking of doing it and would that affect the premium.

What are they gonna charge you?! £25 max, if anything.

What if you stuffed it into the back of a £20k car and they decided not to payout?

Its never worth the risk.

bristolbaron, good words.

Just phone them and say you are thinking about it. Ask how much extra it will cost on your premium (if anything) and then go on from there.

Elephant are pretty good with regards to mods as far as I can remember. They're part of the Admiral group I think and i'm with them and I don't think there was a problem , I'd be suprised if it made much difference in your premium.

In the event of an accident it can add alot of extra stress if you have un-declared mods on your car, and just on that basis I would let them know.

There's a few threads like this if you want to get more opinions :)

are we really having this conversation? Its an engine mount! Paint it black if your worried lol

are we really having this conversation? Its an engine mount

I think that's why it would be worth him telling them, it's just an engine mount and therefore it shouldn't make any difference so why not just let them know.

Walesy, you missed the 'paint it black if your worried'

:evil: lol

tell them,,, you be a fool not too... u never know wat the furture brings,,, also if they are sensible they shouldnt charge you anything

elepant wont charge extra for that i told the guy everything i had done and when my policy came through it just said 'some external cosmetic mods' & 'approx 10% power increase' that covered 50 bhp over std engine mods coil overs porsche wheels different lights etc etc!!

How are you finding it with the VT front and gearbox mounts? It's what The Phirm suggested for me too as there's an alarming amount of movement on my gearbox mount... Already have the front mount though at least!

The Phirm told me not to change the rear engine mount as that is directly next to the mark 3 golf's steering column/rack and would cause undue vibrations through the steering wheel. They also said it was in very good condition as it doesn't take the strain quite as much as the other two mounts. I may get it done in the future... how much would it cost for just the Vibratechnic rear mount and how long to fit approx? The Phirm did my other two in half hour.

I disagree with that.

I've got front (race spec) and rear VTs in mine and there's no vibration through the steering wheel at all AND the front cross member bushes are plastic! I see where they're coming from but in reality, it's not the case. Vibra take things like that into consideration when design their mounts.

I also don't agree that the rear isn't taking much strain. It's taking all of the strain the other 2 are reducing...the forces have to go somewhere....and I've seen rear mount bolts bend snap when subjected to increased loads....but it's up to you at the end of the day.

Rear VTs (road spec) are £58+VAT from Stealth.