Sign in to follow this  
tarche2

Suspension Preferences and reccomendations!

I had those on a mk3 Golf which BiggerBigHugo on this site bought off me. It handled really well and was about 25 mm lower all round for about £120. I had to fit uprated bump stops at the back as the wheels kept hitting the wheel arches. The rear shocks lasted 3 months and then I fitted koni's which made the ride alot harder. The money and time it took faffing around would have been much better suited to just fitting the shocks and springs to begin with IMO

Agreed... I fitted progressively wound springs that are meant to go with standard shocks. Rough ride..... and they seem to be putting more strain on the shocks.

Going for some coilovers now to give me a better ride and some movement in height.

Anybody got views on the Supersport gold... or the FK AK kit :?:

I had FK Konigsports which were quite good and not too costly.

This was on a VR6 and is alot heavier in the front than valvers/G60's. Because of this I had the rears set up on a very soft setting 1/4 turn and the fronts on medium 1/2 turn which I thought was okay for every day driving.

The state of them after a couple of years though, I would buy stainless steel suspension if I did it all again.

Agreed... I fitted progressively wound springs that are meant to go with standard shocks. Rough ride..... and they seem to be putting more strain on the shocks.

Going for some coilovers now to give me a better ride and some movement in height.

Anybody got views on the Supersport gold... or the FK AK kit :?:

If your budget can stretch a little futher the highsports will out perform either of those 2 kits by along way. These coilovers u mention are aimed at the cheaper end of the market where everything has to be slightly comprimised to keep them cheap. although if i had to choose one it would be the AK's everytime

Have a look also at the Bilstein Sprintline kit if you are happy with no-adjustment- Its a quality set up although a little harsh if you are driving around on rough roads all the time

Eighbach springs are desing to be used with standard shocks accoding to the site!

"Eibach Springs

Sporty look by lowering the vehicle.

A progressively firmer spring characteristic than the factory springs.

Comfortable ride quality.

Designed to be fitted with standard factory dampers."

:?

They're the "OE sport" springs and not available for older cars.

The springs they do for the Corrado/MK2 Golf etc are 'sport' springs and a real Jekyll and Hyde set. I hate them personally. The transition between the coils feels like sponge and rock....

Coilovers aren't just about lowering. You can get the ride height exactly right at each corner and some of the dampers in modern kits are superb quality. They're lighter than regular mcphersons too, if that kind of thing is important to you.

If your budget can stretch a little futher the highsports will out perform either of those 2 kits by along way. These coilovers u mention are aimed at the cheaper end of the market where everything has to be slightly comprimised to keep them cheap. although if i had to choose one it would be the AK's everytime

Ah yes the dreaded budget.... well when it comes to the Corrado it always *seems* to stretch all by itself ;)

I'm bidding on some KW's right now, but if that fails then Highsports are the only way to go I guess.

Ah yes the dreaded budget.... well when it comes to the Corrado it always *seems* to stretch all by itself ;)

I'm bidding on some KW's right now, but if that fails then Highsports are the only way to go I guess.[/quote:4c65d]

I would personally be careful with buying anything like this from ebay afterall what aftersales warranty / comeback do you get with them. definatly worth checking before you part with your money.

Myself and 2cc are currently doing some investigation into the infamous Koni TA and H&R setup on valvers/G60's as the ride quality on that set-up when compared to a VR is a lot crashier.

Worth noting is that the H&R springs for a valver are also intended for use with standard dampers - unlike the VR6 springs which H&R recommend for use with sports dampers.

On top of that Koni TA dampers that fit the VR6 are also, according to Koni, identical to all other Corrados both front and rear. Interestingly this also ties in with what VW fitted to the cars - the dampers on later 2.0l 16v, 2.0l 8v and VR6s are identicle.

I had a set of FK konigsport coilovers and didn't like them as they were too crashy even on 185/60/R15s!!

Switched to Koni TA's with H&R's and they are better but still not as good as I would have liked. To re-iterate what others have said - it is best to try some other peoples cars to get a feel for what you find acceptable.

Imo, dampers should be car specific. So what you're getting is a VR6 valved damper (they must set the baseline to the heaviest car), which is gonna be too stiff for a 4 cyl car. I've tried the H&R/Koni combo on Supercharged's G60 and it's not half as good as the 'same' setup on the VR. It's a lot bouncier and just doesn't feel right.

When the oppurtunity to get some H&R coilovers at a good price presented itself, I jumped at it. H&R take 4 Bilstein PSS oversize gas monotubes (what they fit to Porsche 996s as standard) and valve them specifically for the VR, and then add their own springs, again, made for the car.

I'm not knocking the Koni/HR setup (used them since 1999 on all my dubs) but the H&R coils are in a different league. It's those dampers, they're just absolutely spot on. Loads of travel and spot on bump and rebound reaction.

I have to chime in with the Weitec. Good quality (german) and IMO a great ride on both road and track. I have used both the TA and non-adjustable kits and TBH. TA isn't worth the extra, if you softened the TAs so that you could tell, they weren't stiff enough to control the springs and it went all bouncy.

I had some Eibachs and Bilstein shocks on my MK3 16V. A truely hideous combination. I still don't know if the shocks weren't stiff enough or if the springs were too stiff. Swapping to a Weitec kit was a revelation, even my wife made a comment, which was very unusual!!! :shocked!:

Gavin

ok well after allot of Umming and Arring??? Koni Ta's and Koni springs 40mm drop, full powerflex bush kit front and back, front and back eibach anti roll bars and venom poly front top mounts! Any one think this will work nice?????

From what I have heard the Koni Kit has got cheap springs so the ride can sometimes suffer.

If people are saying that the Koni TA + H&R combo is a bit crashy on a g60 then what would people recommend? I'm not bothered about adjusting the height and want something fairly comfortable. Has anyone used the H&R cup kit? What is the ride like on this?

I found the H&R/Konis on the G60 to be a little bouncy, but far from crashy.

See this is the problem and what I said right at the beginning, it's all subjective. No one can tell you what suspension to buy as our opinions on crashiness etc differ too much, so it's a suck it and see thing ;-)

The best thing we could possibly do is line all of the Corrado variants with different kits on, and have a "let me sample your stiffness" group day!

But even that doesn't solve the problem because what's good on one set of roads could be concrete like on other roads....

I rate H&R stuff (esp' their coilovers) highly as it's more my thing for refinement. Bilstein is another great company.

I think the Koni shocks and HR springs will suit you fine, some people might complain about them (they are obviously going to be harder than factory shocks/springs) but if you're comparing Koni's to Gmax from your first post, I think you'll be happy.

One thing I've noticed is lowered suspension seems to feel more comfortable on larger wheels - I don't know why?

Bilstein Sprintline 40mm kit shocks and springs £430 anyone know anything about them???

I have got these on mine- they are a quality kit but maybe a little on the harsh side. No-one here seems to use them but if you do a seach on google you'll see loads of car forums seem to think they are ace :)

Decided to go konies ta kit now and do all bushes and arb's all togethers so will report back once done but may not be for a while!

Imo, dampers should be car specific. So what you're getting is a VR6 valved damper (they must set the baseline to the heaviest car), which is gonna be too stiff for a 4 cyl car. I've tried the H&R/Koni combo on Supercharged's G60 and it's not half as good as the 'same' setup on the VR. It's a lot bouncier and just doesn't feel right.

When the oppurtunity to get some H&R coilovers at a good price presented itself, I jumped at it. H&R take 4 Bilstein PSS oversize gas monotubes (what they fit to Porsche 996s as standard) and valve them specifically for the VR, and then add their own springs, again, made for the car.

I'm not knocking the Koni/HR setup (used them since 1999 on all my dubs) but the H&R coils are in a different league. It's those dampers, they're just absolutely spot on. Loads of travel and spot on bump and rebound reaction.

Sounds good, which H&R kit is that, or do they just do the one coilover kit?

They do 3 or 4 sets now I believe. The regular "H&R coilovers" (used to be called comforts) are what I've got. The most expensive ones are the Race ones, which are H&R's version of the Bilstein PSS9s (9 way damper adjustment) but if the PSS9s are anything to go by, they're totally unrelenting on the road and made primarily for track use.

The sets in between have "off car" bump and rebound adjustment IIRC, but to be honest, the regular ones feel spot on for the road, so there's no real need for the adjustments unless you're a keen track person.

Hmmm, well I have the classic KoniTA/H&R combo and the ride quality is lush, but the car's just not quite low enough... Am getting all the bushes done soon too (OEM all round), but am considering going to coilies... It's between the Konigsports, full-on Koni coilovers, or waiting and getting the H&R coilies... Really not willing to sacrifice ride quality when going lower!