Sign in to follow this  
MikeyP

Koni/H&R's

Hi all,

Just a quick question - I've just had Koni TA's and H&R springs put on my '93 valver and find that even on the softest settings the front of the car is very firm. There is pretty much zero bounce/movement to it when I push down the front or sit on the bonnet.

Is this how it should be? I'm always a little paranoid with my car and just want to be sure that it's right before I get the alignment and stuff sorted out! :D

Thanks

Mike

I wouldn't say there is almost zero movement when sitting on my bonnet. Maybe just wait a little for it to bed in?

MikeyP, how would you describe the ride in general? I'm considering this set-up myself in a 16v and I'd like to know how you find it.

Pushing down on the car isn't really a good indication of how it will ride. Mine is like rock when leaning on the wing but it's far more pliant than the Koni/HR setup....but yep, that is how they are ;-)

I wish I could find a 16v owner nearby with Koni suspension. I'd really like a demonstration before I part with my cash! I put a cheap Spax PSX kit on a Mk2 Golf a few years back and I could barely live with it.

I wish I could find a 16v owner nearby with Koni suspension. I'd really like a demonstration before I part with my cash! I put a cheap Spax PSX kit on a Mk2 Golf a few years back and I could barely live with it.

Chris (2cc) will more than happily let you drive his valver with such a kit on it..... just need to get yourself along to a meet 8)

Chris (2cc) will more than happily let you drive his valver with such a kit on it..... just need to get yourself along to a meet 8)

I never really got into the meets scene. I like to hide behind the veil of anonymity that the Internet provides! Plus, they all seem to happen so far away.

No me neither, which is why I generally incorporate meets into my Stealth visits.

As for distance, that's no excuse, I travel from Ipswich and you're only 45 miles from me!! :-)

Thanks for the input you lot! :D Nice to know that i'm probably just worrying about nothing.

how would you describe the ride in general? I'm considering this set-up myself in a 16v and I'd like to know how you find it.

It's only been a couple of days, but I think the ride is pretty good. Certainly no less comfortable than my old standard setup was. Until I get the alignment and stuff done it's hard to tell 'cause the handling is so bad now!. I'll let you know what I think once it's all sorted!

The thing i'm a little disappointed in is the amount it's actually lowered the car. I know it should only be about 3cm, but I don't think it looks any different to what it did before. Again, hopefully once they've settled in a little I'll be happier! :)

To be honest, if I could uprate the suspension and keep the current ride height I would. The front spoiler thing catches on stuff already.

I too found the ride height wasn't low enough over standard on my valver. Infact the rear was ok, it was the front that was high.

MikeyP, give it time. I had mine done in Novemeber and didn't notice much difference but it's definately looking better now.

Its the size of your wheels that make it still look high, are they 17s?I dropped mine from standard to Konis and H&Rs (admitedly with lowering caps) and it looks miles lower than yours because I'm still on 15 in speedlines. It made a huge difference to the look of the car,

Cool, thanks for that... I'll just have to wait and see what happens, then!

The wheels are 16. I did think about getting some 15s but was worried they'd look tiny and make the gap under the arch look even worse! :D