Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Exhaust Popping

Going for an Exhaust soon, going down the usual study of the 11 page thread etc but one thing I'm wanting to ask is, whether it's possible to get an Exhaust that does that popping after you rev it hard and take your foot off.

Like a rally car (obviously not as good as that!) reeeeeeeevvvvvv pop pop pop!

What is it that causes the sound and more importantly, does it harm the car in anyway?

Cheers

you could get the guy who fits it to leave a very slight leak about half way down the system. that worked a treat on my golf vr! :)

I think that noise is unburnt fuel igniting from the heat of the exhaust. Mine does it sometimes but that's because my ECU is broke and my car's overfueling. :)

Depends on the car and the exhaust. My Golf never popped and crackled but spat huge flames on gearchange!!

My old 1.0L Metro with a cherry bomb on the back used to pop a treat!!

The G40 doesnt pop when the revs are dropping, but like the Golf, on gearchange will spit!

Since going over to OBDR2D2 mine doesn't pop on the over run at all, but even the standard zorst used to be severly popcorn goodness when she was OBD1 kenobi.... something to do with OBD2 injectors being timed differently on the front bank the good man Vince tells me....

Popping doesn't harm anything ardandy. Some folk used to deliberately over fuel their cars and fit a spark plug in the back box to ignite the unburnt fuel as it passes through :-)

Anti-lag on rally cars gives you some tasty flame outs....... but the only snag is you need a turbo!

the door is over there mate ;)[/quote:66c4a]

Dont diss the Metro!! hehehe!It did eventually turn into a 1293cc turbo powered monster!! Then I saw sense, rolled it onto its side down a country road, and bought a Golf GTI!!

me and a mate bought a 'ro for 40 quid off some pikeys once and killed it in an afternoon in a field. best 40 sheets i ever spent :)

Mine pops a bit ever since I had the remap and Milltek fitted - only seems to happen after spirited driving! Like it though!

been there done that even got it reposessed :lol: but hey we was only 15

:onfire: my 2ltr 16v likes to pop back on over run and if shes really rude a big burp of flame about 1 ft long , great fun in the dark but does attract attention from the boys in blue :lcop: , in fact the 1st time i realy knew it was doing it was when she scorched the front bumper of a following panda car when slowing down at a set of lights to stop !!! they wernt impressed but i was chuffed to f**k and couldnt stop laughing even when given a producer buy my new frends ha ha . :onfire:

My standard VR6 gives a pop or two when on the over run, more so when hot. My old Golf VR6 had a a twin 3 inch upswept Scorpion backbox and that was evil for popping, I miss that!

The Powerflow system on my Mk2 Storm Rocco pops wickedly well, once warmed up, especially so, ever since I've fitted the Supersprint 4-2-1-branch manifold last winter. I personally find the sound awesome, any tunnel etc. is just a challenge to make a U-turn at the end and go through a few more times. Best is going downhill somewhere, and just let the exhaust do the music :-)

The Milltek on my G60-Rado only pops slightly and only when the engine's been revved a bit harder.

Tempest