Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Stealth re-chip - can I use any ron petrol with this?

Hi

Just got car back from Stealth after a re-chip and it has really made a difference to the drivability of the car...torque is available straight away. My question is when Stealth did the re-chip I had it full up with Tesco's 99 ron fuel... does this mean it was remapped/rechipped just for this 99 ron fuel or will Stealth have given it allowances so I can use at least a lower ron fuel... like 97 or 98?

Had no choice but to fill it up on 97 ron fuel on the way home.

Thanks for any info. I will confirm with Vince tomorrow about this.

Cheers

Matt

ps. If any of you are with Elephant insurance you'll have to change as they don't insure cars with any kind of computer chips. I'm changing in July when mine expires.

Yes. Vince always does 'safe' maps mate. Fear not.

He did my supercharger map with modest ignition advance as to not cause problems when I run out of water injection fluid, or use 95 fuel.

Have you got VAG-COM? If not, get it!

You can data log the knock tables for as long as you want. Simply take the resultant excel spreadsheet (CSV format) and read the knock regulation. If it's more than 6 using 95, stick to 98.

Schmescos 99 is good mate! It contains 5% ethanol!! AND more importantly, *all* Tesco 99 is supplied exclusively by the same refinery (Rumour has it it's BP) to all stations that sell it, so no chance of a dudd tank.

Schmescos 99, unlike Optimax, is refined at 99 RON, they don't simply throw boosters into 95.

I rate it :-) My motor certainly seems to like it and it's 80 odd p a litre as opposed to 95.9

Cheers guys for your help. I tend to use Tescos 99 ron all the time as there's a local one near me.

The new BMC makes my car sound like an aston martin when I floor it above 3000 revs...all the way to the red line. But it can be equally quiet when I drive normally...just the way I like it. I haven't fitted the cold air feed and don't think I will ...just love the noise it makes.

Good good. Optimax is good stuff providing you fill up from a busy station. Optimax goes off if left under the ground too long. To say I've had mixed results with Optimax is an understatement. Tesco 99 is a lot more consistent because it's refined at 99, so won't go off.

The cold air feed for the BMC makes it quieter, but there is no power difference with it on or off. It's easy to relocate the carbon can though if you want to run the feed and I would personally as it's a lot quieter.

I've found Optimax to be dissapointing in the past as well. I'm used to BP Ultimate & Esso Supreme, both are great and very consistent. Wish I had a Tesco station nearby, never tried their 99 RON fuel.

If im honest i cant notice a performance difference between Optimax and tesco's, so i just buy the cheaper of the two.

I've found Optimax to be dissapointing in the past as well. I'm used to BP Ultimate & Esso Supreme, both are great and very consistent. Wish I had a Tesco station nearby, never tried their 99 RON fuel.

Redruth

Never ever had problems with optimax (althouhg i do fill up at a services, which is always busy) but then had poor results with ultimate? always thought abt trying tesco's but dont really want to risk it and there are no more esso's round here anymore,, they have all closed down!!!

i think its mostly down to just personal preferences and what you prefer imo... if tesco's super is soo good why isnt sainsbury's? apparently they use BP fuel!!!

If any of you are with Elephant insurance you'll have to change as they don't insure cars with any kind of computer chips

ive only just insured with them they were fine with all my mods including an ecu chip upgrade, might depend on the underwritter as elepant are just a broker

Schmescos 99 is good mate! It contains 5% ethanol!! AND more importantly, *all* Tesco 99 is supplied exclusively by the same refinery (Rumour has it it's BP) to all stations that sell it, so no chance of a dudd tank.

Schmescos 99, unlike Optimax, is refined at 99 RON, they don't simply throw boosters into 95.

I rate it :-) My motor certainly seems to like it and it's 80 odd p a litre as opposed to 95.9

I work for Bp and sad to say it isnt us that supply it not in scotland anyway as its not sold up here at all

http://www.greenergy.com/1024_768.html

All the gen is there......

Chubbz

Any ideas when Tescos 99ron is going to be more widely available? We don't have the stuff in Dundee yet and I'm feckin itching to try it out....

well i've tried the tesco 99 stuff and thought it was poo compared to optimax.

don't really know why we're all wasting our breath on the subject, because it's a fact that what you get aint necessarily what it says on the pump. you can be sold optimax by bp and bp fuel by shell etc etc.

its all a nonsense! :)

But surely there must be some kind of trading standards as to what the pump is putting out..?

i guess so mate.

but i read a letter in evo from someone at a petrol company that said a whole areas shell petrol was supplied by bp! essex i think?

and i think the only iso standards are for 95 and 98 ron?? wonder how double 99 stuff is tested.

There were also those stats that kev posted up when Evo tested a MK5 GTI on different fuels and the results were amazing, +10% BHP in certain cases IIRC. I think BP Ultimate came out top.

yeah i read that mate. it also concluded that it was completely eratic as to what you get i think.

with the vr i reckon it depends on the weather etc and what fuel you use -mine was havin it earlier and that was on 95 in the wet!

mine tends to feel fine on most things at low to medium revs, and optimax feels better than anything else at high revs.