Sign in to follow this  
MNuTz

1.8T Engine conversion cost

Hi all,

Ive been working my backside off over the last 6 months to get a new engine for my G60. I really wanted to keep the charger but i wanted a newer engine than the older 16v ones. Ive been told i wont be able to fit it to a 1.8t engine if i get rid of the turbo :( so it looks like a 1.8t it is so ive been looking for prices and received this today:

With regards to the engine conversion we would recommend having the 1.8 20VT engine fitted as the G60 engine has limited tuning to 250bhp where as the 1.8 20VT engine conversions start at around 230bhp. With the 1.8 20VT conversions they start at £7000+VAT as a drive in drive out price. With this you get a late low mileage engine with DBW and VVT.

Is that price right?? I could go out and buy a top C with god knows what done to the car for less than that!

What price should i be looking at?

Thanks

Stu

Hi all,

Ive been working my backside off over the last 6 months to get a new engine for my G60. I really wanted to keep the charger but i wanted a newer engine than the older 16v ones. Ive been told i wont be able to fit it to a 1.8t engine if i get rid of the turbo :( so it looks like a 1.8t it is so ive been looking for prices and received this today:

With regards to the engine conversion we would recommend having the 1.8 20VT engine fitted as the G60 engine has limited tuning to 250bhp where as the 1.8 20VT engine conversions start at around 230bhp. With the 1.8 20VT conversions they start at £7000+VAT as a drive in drive out price. With this you get a late low mileage engine with DBW and VVT.

Is that price right?? I could go out and buy a top C with god knows what done to the car for less than that!

What price should i be looking at?

Thanks

Stu

you get what you pay for,

1.8T 225, low mileage or fully rebuilt isn't going to be cheap

then you're looking at ECU remapping, rolling road time, new intercooler, custom radiators and the like

then the labour cost of fitting, it's not going to take an afternoon.

you can bet that along the way you're looking at buying new VAG only sourced parts and fabricating bits too.

To have the knowledge and equipment to do all of this and then have a profit margin on top, well, you can see why reputable tuners would start with figures like 7 grand.

David.

try qpeng and buy a 20v from a reputable breakers

also you can fit a g charger to a 20v pm me and ill give you a number for a guy selling his g6020v set up as hes going mental turbo power

Seven grand is a bit steep I'd say. Maybe a couple of years ago but it's not an uncommon conversion these days and 20vT engines are in more pleniful supply now too. It'd need confirming, but I believe Stan only paid around three grand for the supply and fitting of his 24v engine and they have to be thinner on the ground.

24v is much less work to fit into a VR6 C than the 20vt apparently, and the engines are also cheaper too.

Dutch

That may be true, but the 20vT would be a similar task to fit in a G60. I can't believe there's a lot of difference in the price of the engine.

I spoke to Andy Walker about this conversion before I got mine done, he said a ball park figure of £4k, I think??? Give him a ring and he'll defo give you a ball park price. It also depends which engine you want, what sort if intercooler etc etc. Its all down to you. If you just wanted the standard engine and parts from a Golf, then its gonna be cheaper than a 225 from a TT, and cheaper than one with different intercooler, remap, chip etc.

What engine did you have in mind? Standard or modded? I'll be speaking to him today and can ask for you.

bcstudent Yes dude it was.

I have just spoken to Andy, and as a ball park figure, for either a TT 225 or an S3 engine, into a G60 and therefore using the G60 intercooler and brakes is...........................................£3.5k including parts and labour!!! Give or take a bit for unforseen circumstances. Now that IS CHEAP!!!!!

Should i tell him he now has a list of people ready for the conversion?? :lol:

G60 Gearbox will bolt straight up. You wouldn't really want to use the standard G60 intercooler, best to upgrade to a decent sized front mount one as 1.8t charge temps are much higher than the g60. Rallye or G60 front mount coooler will pretty much drop straight in with a bit of work but are expensive. Merc Sprinter one will just about squeeze in between the chassis legs but is much more work. 3.5k drive in/drive out sounds cheap, any idea about what management that is using and does that include the engine cost?

I would assume (from my conversion) that it would be with the 1.8T management, in fact Im 99% certain it would be.

Makes my old G60 feel like a snail.

LOL....

Quality install that by the look of it.

This is what I like about the Rado scene.... the willingness to keep them going with modern engines and not being shy of spending a bob or 3.

It's going to get to the stage soon where 90% of Rados and other old VWs will all have 24Vs or 1.8Ts and people just won't bother trying to race us anymore :-)

Mine is a 225bhp engine using standard G60 gearbox and a Golf G60 FMIC. If you can find a good 225bhp engine i would go for that.

Your right there Kev :lol:

Modern engines are definitely the way forward.

Its all because VW havent yet made a car that looks anywhere as good as the C, IMHO ;)

Let's see what the new Rado/Scirocco turns out like....but knowing VW, they will price themselves out of the market - again! Plus they won't fit the R36 to it, so older Rados with 1.8Ts and R32s will probably beat it, much to the person who paid £30K for a new Rado's dismay :-)

Its all because VW havent yet made a car that looks anywhere as good as the C, IMHO ;)

Let's see what the new Rado/Scirocco turns out like....but knowing VW, they will price themselves out of the market - again! Plus they won't fit the R36 to it, so older Rados with 1.8Ts and R32s will probably beat it, much to the person who paid £30K for a new Rado's dismay :-)

isnt life a bitch,,, i really wanna do a 20V G60 one day when my 8V goes bang which hopefully wont be for ages and ages

I am paticulary interested in a possibly 225 BAM conversion for my 2.0 16v 94 raddo but am not sure what is involved and how much it is going to cost.

Ive seen 225 Bam engines for sale with low good mileage go from £1200-£1500, Then it would be a case of how much is it to fit this engine into a 16v and what i am going to need for the conversion. New barkes/intercooler/gearbox/drivesharfts etc.

Im in a position at the moment where I am waying up the pro's and cons of this. I love the colour, look and style of my raddo. Although it needs a respray and smoothing here and there. And an interior change(recaros/leather) And a new lump and I feel this will set me back best part of 10k. And for that I can get a M3 or a tasty 1.8 gti turbo. It is hard when we drive an exclusive car as a raddo. As no other car is like this but then im in a dilema of sell it and get a vr6 VERY HARD DECISION CHAPS/CHAPESSES.Been giving me a headache for some time now :mad: