Sign in to follow this  
ChesterBTM

Corrado's and rust

hi guys and gals.

im in the market to buy a new car and i have my heart set on a corrado VR6, the thing is as i have been a student for the last 5 years i have had some fairly old cars to get me about (mainly fiestas). it feels like i am always fixing bodywork especially rust and to be fair im getting pretty browned off with it.

So my question to u knowlegable people here is, is there much of a rust problem with corrado's as they are starting to get old? if so are there any hotspots that need to have an eye kept on?

thanks very much for looking and i appreciate your help.

Rob

I've had a few places on mine... but for a 15 year old car it's pretty good.

Area's that I've seen are an issue seem to be the door edges, the door sills, near the filler cap (I think) and for me around the front close to the lights.

Hi mate, welcome aboard.

Out of the 6 Corrados i've had , only the one i've got currently has had any rust whatsoever. Corrado's were built by hand, if you ever try and get a panel off you'll see the ammount of underseal they used was more than enough :lol:

Rust is usually a siagn of a bad accident repair (( I assume my car is a victim of this as there's alot of rust on the front arch ))

The few spots that can occationaly rust to my knowledge are under the spoiler and around the rear number plate surround.

Have a quick check around for it, but in my experience rust is really not a problem with Corrados.

Have a look at this buying guide in the Forum Knowledge Base for more info! :)

the corrados are galvanized, and doesn't rust unless they've been in an accident or whatever. any marks and "repaired" bodywork will rust. Any rust should be explained by the owner. The only place mine has rusted is a bit under the battery, and it's not really rust, but rust color.

wow thanks for your help guys and especially with the amazingly fast response.

a corrado is looking better and better all the time.

and the checklist is very interesting too. lots of uneful info there.

around the side repeater seems to be a rust "hot spot"..but even then its not that bad

Yeah, they trap water quite bad. The no. plate lights harber water too.

The usual stone chips on the front develop too. mine looks a bit sore from that

:(

structure/chassis wise they are very good. :D

ive noticed the front lower panels always seem be a bit flaky.other spots are bottoms of the wings/lower tailgate edge(under the plate holder)...think thats about it as well as the others mentioned. :D

oh,ive seen a few that have rusty roofs,under the windscreen seal :shock: on the whole though,very good,mine dosnt suffer at all :D

Neil.

SOME of the body panels were galvanised, but not all... ;)

Check CAREFULLY around the windscreen for rust under the seal caused by a windscreen replacement muppet not taking enough care... :|

Which bits were galvanised then? Didn't realise any of it was. Only bit I've got on mine is where self tappers have been used to hold the rear number plate light cover on, and the self tappers where the VW alarm siren was fitted. Otherwise none.

The rust under the windscreen seal is probably due to some auto windscreen replacement bod scratching the paint up with a hot knife.

to be honest with corrado's rust is the last of your worries!!

spend a while on here and you will soon get the picture, bodys are pretty sound on them but they definatley aren't the cheapest cars to run especially in the Vr or G60 format.

(I'm) Not in a happy corrado mood today!!

EH

they ain't galvanized? I was seriously convinced they were. guess not then. so they're just wax coated like the golf 2s?

Audi used to boast about zinc galvanising in the 80s/90s and you don't see many rotten Audis! Did the Rado come with a 10 year anti-corrosion warranty? If it did then it's defo galvanised..... any rusting points to replacement panels as aftermarket ones aren't galvanised IIRC....not sure if replacement ones from VW are either?

The only other possible hotspots, apart from around the windscreen, to check are the battery tray and the rear arches. Anything else that's likely to rust is pretty much gonna be the bolt-on stuff like doors and wings.

As others have said, if you see rust you shouls immediately think 'accident repair'. My Corrado is showing signs of rust but that's because it had all the driver's side panels replaced following an accident early in its life. It's lasted 12 years so it can't have been a bad repair I guess.

I had rust around my offside side repeater and on the arch lip and I know that was replaced - I could tell, the bodyshop didn't bother with the rubberised primer (the textured stuff you see on the sills) on the arch lip! Nearside is perfect which defo are original panels, except a small bubble on the door where a stone chipped the paint, but it never got any bigger in the 3 years I had it. I suppose it is possible that the zinc plate can chip off if hit hard enough and that's what VAG guaranteed aganist....

The repeaters is common though as the plating is only done on the outside of the panel and as we all know, they only paint the visible sides of the panel with the full compliment of paint layers, so as they whack the repeaters in, the clips rub off any primer that's there and rusting begins almost immediately.....same on MK2s aswell.....but some cars last better than others.....Monday or Friday afternoon jobs!

The only place I have rust (and I know others have this problem) is on that stupid rear no. plate light thing! I think they are cheap to replace form VAG though...

I've seen 3 H platers now and they've all had very rotten battery holders, they look fine, but take the battery out and there's a hole. I reckon it's more to do with careless owners over filling the batteries with water, and letting acid sit under the battery. it's a pretty easy fix cutting the appropriate section out a mk 2 golf wing and welding back into the corrado i believe.