gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Ok change of plan. Just ordered a set of KW V1's :D

Will have a set of koni shocks and H&R springs for sale soon!

Would be interested to know how the new set of KW's compare to your Koni/H&R's. Particularly in the ride comfort :salute:

Ok change of plan. Just ordered a set of KW V1's :D

Will have a set of koni shocks and H&R springs for sale soon!

Would be interested to know how the new set of KW's compare to your Koni/H&R's. Particularly in the ride comfort :salute:

Would love to but the problem is Leonard - Car is off the road now until after summer :( so i've never really got to know how the Koni and H&R combo performs.I want to go a little lower so have ordered a set of KW Variants. I will let you know what i think of the KW V1s though, when i can.

Sorry i cant be of much help at the moment fella.

To those that have 40mm drop up front. Are your wishbones level or slightly inverted ie pointing up, or are they as they would be with standard suspension, pointing down?

I ask because i have i only have a 40mm drop all round, yet the wishbones are ever so slightly inverted but not that far off being horizontal. As i've been told from you guys on here, that when you lower the car and invert the wishbones that upsets the steering. Yet i want to go maybe another 10mm lower on the front when my KW v1s arrive. But at the same time i dont want to invert the wishbones more. I suppose there will have to be a compromise.

I gather those of you who have a greater drop then 40mm, have the wishbones well and truely inverted? Whats the steering like?

thats why i got KW1's as i was buying -40mm springs and they were lowering the front by 90mm. causes the wishbones to be inverted like you say.

thats why i got KW1's as i was buying -40mm springs and they were lowering the front by 90mm. causes the wishbones to be inverted like you say.

Ah yes i remember that. I think the front is actually lowered by 40mm but i would have thought the wishbones would be horizontal at the most.

Does having the wishbones inverted really mess up the steering that bad, or not?

i still have the same dodgy feeling as it stands now, and i've raised it quite a bit, the wishbones are deffo not inverted now, they point downwards, but i still have bumpsteer etc

i still have the same dodgy feeling as it stands now, and i've raised it quite a bit, the wishbones are deffo not inverted now, they point downwards, but i still have bumpsteer etc

I think i have the same issue bud, the steering hasnt felt right for a while now.

I have just fitted KW V1's to mine.

On the ride front: The ride on most roads is lovely, a little bit more solid through the bumps and holes obviously but nothing too bad at all... In fact to be honest with you, I keep forgetting that I have coilovers fitted. They are as comfortable, if not, dare I say it, MORE comfortable than the old tired 155k stuff I had on there before hand over some roads.

Handling wise... I've not noticed any adverse effects of having them fitted. I'm currently approx 40-50mm down. I haven't physically checked the wishbone but I haven't experienced any form of noticeable bump steer. True, the range of movement is obviously reduced from standard but the relationship between steering arm and wishbone is still the same constant due to neither of them having had their pivot points moved. Yes it will cause bump steer but the original setup was designed for the softer suspension and on load in corners the softer suspension will travel to the same point as the firmer suspension I replaced it with so in my honest and slightly educated opinion, the effect of bump steer will be minimal.

I'm sure you will get more variance in steering angle with the softer original wishbone bushes with 50k or more mileage in them as they will allow the wishbone to move inwards/outwards under load and effect the geometry that way.

I remember reading an article a few years back that compared wishbone bushes. The older and hence softer bushes would allow the wishbone to move as much as 4-5mm in/out depending on load, compared with brand spanking new ones. Fitting the more firm R32 ones would reduce this effect considerably? I know it is a common mod for those in the know....

I have just fitted KW V1's to mine.

On the ride front: The ride on most roads is lovely, a little bit more solid through the bumps and holes obviously but nothing too bad at all... In fact to be honest with you, I keep forgetting that I have coilovers fitted. They are as comfortable, if not, dare I say it, MORE comfortable than the old tired 155k stuff I had on there before hand over some roads.

Handling wise... I've not noticed any adverse effects of having them fitted. I'm currently approx 40-50mm down. I haven't physically checked the wishbone but I haven't experienced any form of noticeable bump steer. True, the range of movement is obviously reduced from standard but the relationship between steering arm and wishbone is still the same constant due to neither of them having had their pivot points moved. Yes it will cause bump steer but the original setup was designed for the softer suspension and on load in corners the softer suspension will travel to the same point as the firmer suspension I replaced it with so in my honest and slightly educated opinion, the effect of bump steer will be minimal.

I'm sure you will get more variance in steering angle with the softer original wishbone bushes with 50k or more mileage in them as they will allow the wishbone to move inwards/outwards under load and effect the geometry that way.

I remember reading an article a few years back that compared wishbone bushes. The older and hence softer bushes would allow the wishbone to move as much as 4-5mm in/out depending on load, compared with brand spanking new ones. Fitting the more firm R32 ones would reduce this effect considerably? I know it is a common mod for those in the know....

:salute: Cheers for that Sean, its given me some insight as to what to expect. Cant wait to get them fitted :D

It's a pleasure mate, hope that drivel made sense!!

I'm in the Oxford area if anyone thinking of trying these out, I'm happy to offer a passenger trip....

Sean and Critical - how much did you pay for your V1's? And did you get them fitted somewhere or do them yourself?

Im picking up my 1st 'rado VR nxt Friday if all goes to plan, and was looking at getting some V1's fitted. Wherebouts in the Oxford area are you Sean? Im in Wiltshire...

Thanks!

Paid £609 for them...

Got them from Jabba Sport who send them out directly from KW. Fitted them myself and splashed another £100 or so on new mounts and bolts all round. Still need to have the geo sorted but that is next weeks project while i'm on leave...

I'm about 15 miles south of Oxford in Wallingford... 20 minutes from Didcot and the A34

'lo guys/gals

Fitted the fronts of the KW V1s today. Noticed that whilst fitting them, that the bottom spring seat has a little allen key screw in it. Whats this for, do i loosen the screw before adjusting then retighten once i've moved the seat?

Thanks

Hi all,

Need a little help with the KWs ive fitted last weekend. When i fitted them the height was how they came out of the box and for some reason the rears where set lower then the fronts, therefore the front of the car was pointing up in the air slightly. Now, i left them to settle for a week and the front needed to go down about an inch, the rear is a nice height. So i measured the thread on the front before adjusting and they were 9cm from the spring seat to the bottom of the threads. So i took them down 2.5 cm on both sides, measuring the thread to make sure both sides were lowered the same amount.

I put it all back together and dropped the car to the floor and found the passenger side is about 1cm higher then the drivers - even though they were both lowered the same amount and they were both the same before i dropped the car. My question is, does each coilover (both fronts) have to be set to the same height, or can i adjust one slightly lower to the other to get the car level - will this affect how the suspension works together?

I really dont understand why each side is different, the drivers is set to how i want it - but the passenger side front compared the the passenger rear is too high. Where its parked is pretty much flat.

:shrug:

Ive got Weitec Tx's on my Rado. Ive not had a chance to adjust the dampers so cant comment on that. They do ride very well though imo. Better than my '01 Audi A3 1.8T sport did (stock set up - facking terrible), a lot less harsh and crashy. In terms of handling, they're excellent too imo, better than most of the FK crap, similar to eibach pro streets and kw's imo. My Rado's pretty damn decked too so those wanting a more subtle stance would probably get a better ride and handling than mine.

Tbh, i wouldn't buy anything else again unless i felt rich and bought KW V2/3's.

Hi all,

Need a little help with the KWs ive fitted last weekend. When i fitted them the height was how they came out of the box and for some reason the rears where set lower then the fronts, therefore the front of the car was pointing up in the air slightly. Now, i left them to settle for a week and the front needed to go down about an inch, the rear is a nice height. So i measured the thread on the front before adjusting and they were 9cm from the spring seat to the bottom of the threads. So i took them down 2.5 cm on both sides, measuring the thread to make sure both sides were lowered the same amount.

I put it all back together and dropped the car to the floor and found the passenger side is about 1cm higher then the drivers - even though they were both lowered the same amount and they were both the same before i dropped the car. My question is, does each coilover (both fronts) have to be set to the same height, or can i adjust one slightly lower to the other to get the car level - will this affect how the suspension works together?

I really dont understand why each side is different, the drivers is set to how i want it - but the passenger side front compared the the passenger rear is too high. Where its parked is pretty much flat.

Odd because that's exactly how I set my KW-1's up, Left the rears as they cam out the box, and dropped the fronts a couple times just to get it level, but each time by the same amount each side. Did you measure from the bottom of the threads or from a locum on the strut (eg the bracket that bolts to hubs as we used)? Just in case one is threaded slightly more than the other? :scratch:

You have helper springs on both sides?

Were they new/ 2nd hand?

Hi all,

Odd because that's exactly how I set my KW-1's up, Left the rears as they cam out the box, and dropped the fronts a couple times just to get it level, but each time by the same amount each side. Did you measure from the bottom of the threads or from a locum on the strut (eg the bracket that bolts to hubs as we used)? Just in case one is threaded slightly more than the other? :scratch:

You have helper springs on both sides?

Were they new/ 2nd hand?

I measured from the bottom of the thread not from the locum. The coilies are brand new and both have helper springs.

After doing a search on here i found a few people say, one of which was Kev, that its normal for the VR6 to sit slightly lower on the drivers side due to the weight of the engine. So all i did is lower the passenger is slightly lower. I've measured the gap between the top of the arch and the top of the rim and they're spot on now :D

I wasnt really thinking it was the coilovers because i had the same situation with a previous set of coilover and shocks/springs.

g werkes seem to have good prices and they seem happy to help on the phone, unlike some other companies

Guys need of some help Please, currently using koni TA with some old jamex springs, the drive feels harsh over potholes and defo that wallowy feeling but still handles well, running 17's, have not got any strut bars etc or rear arb. I have heard so much good things about the weitecs i'm thinking what the ride will be with weitec springs and koni TA's all round. I dont know much about the spring rates etc also weight of my 20vt

Has any1 tried this combo? my main aim to improve overall ride, midlands has some of the worst roads in uk personally and speed humps dominate...not to mention cctv lol

Some grate info already on this thread! Advice appreciated! :D

Hey Y'all, I've read this thread from start to finish, thinking I might put KW V1s on shortly, struggling to breathe with the altitude of the standard shocks. Been wondering though..... So many posts reviewing so many setups but no-one has mentioned the weight of their wheels, be they 18x9 or 15x6.5. I've been lead to believe unsprung weight ratios are one of the most relevant variables effecting how your suspension works? Whether you rate your setup or not could be hugely affected by the weight of your wheels/tyres or diet status of your lardy G/F? Or not, help me out here!! I'm on 16x6.5 BBS RX2 splits, not sure what they're off, 16x6.5, 5x100PCD, ET43, Beetle maybe? (Love to know...Someone...Please) Bloody heavy anyway. Anyone tried their suspension with heavy and light wheels? Would really like to know what difference it make to the ride quality. It's a VR by the way (PCD tells all!) Little help please, don't want to spend my suspension budget when the weighty wheels could spoil it all.

Cheers guys, and Gals.