Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

24v V6 Engine Conversion

Hi.

I'm faced with a vr6 engine rebuild which costs a fookin fortune.

However, I've just found a 24v V6 with 5k on the clock for 1500 quid.

Does that sound like a good price?

It's very low mileage so seems ok to me.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Will

Thanks mate - I'v read all the threads I think.

1.5k with 5k on the clock has got to be a bargain then really - it's already out of the car too, so that would save time and money :)

What does it come with? Bargain totally depends on what you get with it.

I got an entire 4motion golf for not a great deal more than that, which meant I had all the loom, brackets, extras that you need, plus I had a pile of stuff to sell off it.

Jay

I got an entire 4motion golf for not a great deal more than that, which meant I had all the loom, brackets, extras that you need, plus I had a pile of stuff to sell off it.

Jay

:shock:

Clearly renshaw is a jammy git!

Depends why the engine was taken out of the car, really. If it too, needs a rebuild then it's not a bargain, no!

If it's in good nick as the dr. points out and comes with the loom, ecu, brackets, manifold, tb, PAS pump, dbw pedal etc. then it's not too bad a price, but R32's can go for that and the average price for the 2.8 is more like 1000-1200. I paid 1200 for a 8000 mile 24v with all the extra's like ECU, full loom already labelled up for the C fuseboard etc. etc.

Dutch

If it's in good nick as the dr. points out and comes with the loom, ecu, brackets, manifold, tb, PAS pump, dbw pedal etc. then it's not too bad a price, but R32's can go for that and the average price for the 2.8 is more like 1000-1200. I paid 1200 for a 8000 mile 24v with all the extra's like ECU, full loom already labelled up for the C fuseboard etc. etc.

Dutch

not the r32's i've seen mate. point in the right direction please.

I think he's refering to the one that went for £1400 recently on fleabay. That's cheaper than average though!

So you changed your mind about the 12v then double-6s, shame really. ;)

EDIT: Oh and it sounds like a pretty good price to me, for low miles like that.

no i haven't changed my mind trig. just thinking really.

i really want to stick with the 12v and then charge it tbh. and i now just about have the funds for a rebuild in place. so i'm just having a last think before i definately comit to a 12v rebuild.

I got offered an R32 lump, complete with ECU and harness for £1800 nearly 2 years ago, so prices are definitely falling.

Why not R32 it and then charge that? :-) Would cost a similar amount in the long run I reckon.

I didn't have the money back then :-(

Charging an R32 isn't quite as straight forward as a 12V as the compression ratio is 11:1, so you've got to be careful with the boost and intercooling and the 24V charger kits are quite a lot more money too.

Stage 2 (6.2 psi) is good for 350 horse though :-)

My car is a daily driver too, so I can't afford to have it off the road for more than a weekend, which isn't enough time to get an R32 in and working 100% unless you work on it 12 hours a day and have ALL of the bits and tools to hand.

I got offered an R32 lump, complete with ECU and harness for £1800 nearly 2 years ago, so prices are definitely falling.

Why not R32 it and then charge that? :-) Would cost a similar amount in the long run I reckon.

because unfortunately my name is not midas ;)

i can rebuild my bottom end for that money fitted (and i haven't even seen an r32 lump that cheap anyway) so i would also have to fork out extra on top of the 2k or so for the swap. so it works out nearly double.

also my insurance would not have it in a million years :(

A couple of R32 lumps went for around the 2200 euro mark recently on the German 'bay. Haven't seen any in the last couple of weeks for that kind of cash though.

There's a couple plus gearbox, subframes & suspension front & rear etc. going at the moment, but for over 5000 Euro's.

Dutch

36v. LOL Kevhaywire.

My g60's going this year, if r32 and 24valves can be put in a corrado within a 6000ish budget this defo makes more sense than a VR6 to me- for power, reliability etc as it appears blown VR are getting a bit old hat, even though ive always wanted one and will get one.

For the money they want mate, you'd be crazy not to buy it. You could always sell the 12v and get your money back, well a big lump.

You know you want to ;) I also know where you can get it fitted, if you dont want to do it yourself :)

do it myself stan? you're avin a bleedin laugh mate :)

already in discussion with Andy at PSI regarding rebuilds etc - decision time!

I hope you told him that I gave you his details??!! May get some discount then ;)

24v!!!!!!! you know it makes sense :D

Stan - course i dropped the Bates name mate! I have no mechanical knowledge, but I'm not dumb! ;)

Decisions decisions.............