Sign in to follow this  
dexter

Replacing the Heater Matrix

Hi Guys,

Start of the summer there was a water leak in the drivers footwell near the pedals. Was told it was the heater matrix, so I bypassed the pipes to the heater in the engine bay.

I have been putting this off all summer, but now winters on its way, its time to face up to it.

ANYBODY GOT AN IDEA OF A RESOURCE WITH TEXT AND PHOTOS ON HOW TO REPLACE THE HEATER MATRIX? :roll:

As I believe it involves removing the whole dash WHICH I'M DREADING.

Many thanks in advance.

Dex

There is guide in this months the golf mag for doing it in a mk2 golf but i'm not sure if it is remotley the same as the C. Anyone confirm?

There was a VW of USA product recall note about changing the matrix that told you how to do it in a Haynes manual stylee..

Basically whole dash out.... :shock:

(edit: attached somewhere here...)

You don't have to remove the dash as in removed entirely from the car, but you do have to undo the bolts at each end and behind the centre column and pull it forward a bit. This then gives you enough room to dismantle the main heating column, which the matrix is behind.

Kev

It SOOOO much easier to remove the dash mate it really is.... I tried the method you describe and its a pig to do - I removed the dash (few extra screws) and then was a 5 min job to change over...

Even Stealth are talking about 8 hours labour for it though, so I'm really not looking forward to trying to do it...

It SOOOO much easier to remove the dash mate it really is.... I tried the method you describe and its a pig to do - I removed the dash (few extra screws) and then was a 5 min job to change over...

Note 5 min job after spending a few hours ripping the dash out.

Don't forget that when you put it all back together you will either end up with...

a) a few screws left over that must go somewhere...

b) a shortage of screws because there were so many missing and/or you've lost some

Replacing the Matrix is the ideal oppurtunity to make more an effort minimising dash creaks and rattles than VW did.

I would definitely do it if I had a wider drive!

That's my exact problem - I don't have a drive at all, so unless someone's prepared to loan me the space and the time, I've gotta pay someone...

Damn. :(

I've just changed mine not difficult really just a bit time consuming (mine's got aircon as well not that it makes that much difference) .If youre going to do it you might as well take the dash out completley it will make life much easyier...I think it took about 2 hours on and off just to get the matrix out!! And I did mine at the side of the road :)