Stone0311

G60 Resurrection

Thanks for the feedback folks, not running yet... when its every nut and bolt it only ever seems to creep along.

Latest work:

3.5bar FPR, New FMIC/Rad/Oil cooler, cam belt and psteering assey fitted, boost pipework run, front wheels and spacers fitted . calipers re-painted as the colour looked cr*p - few pics below:

IMG_20200816_074427.jpg

IMG_20200905_071040.jpg

IMG_20200913_073019.jpg

IMG_20200913_075300.jpg

Edited by Stone0311
image size

Been a little while since I've updated this thread so here goes:

Stripped out everything from the rear of the car, running gear, fuel, brakes etc 

Cleaned every inch and remediated any surface rust of which there was enough, then coated with 3m shutz and dynax UB

Deleted fuel cap locking actuator having found a large hole where it used to live

Cut out 80% of the fuel filler opening and replaced with new steel inserts

Cut out and repaired both lower sill sections to the front of the rear arch

Powder coated everything, including re-coating of the front calipers due to rust! - I won't name and shame here but drop me a message if you want to know. 

New: drilled and grooved rear disks, rear beam bushes, all bolts/clips/Fixings, wheel bearings, handbrake cables, strut top mounts, brake pressure reg, brake pipe and fuel pipe, fuel tank lift pump

Coilovers installed

Custom fuel pump and filter assembly with bosch 044 pump and performance filters

Next: pipe up brakes and fuel, mk4 rear calipers, fuel tank install, exhaust install

Track_Progress_28032021_083525_resize_96.jpg

IMG_20210503_080513_resize_64.jpg

IMG_20210424_075330_resize_35.jpg

Track_Progress_10042021_083921_resize_88.jpg

IMG_20210410_064916_resize_83.jpg

Edited by Stone0311

Superb job there. Just read back the thread - I was 17 in 2000 as well but didn't have the forsight to buy a rado back then.

There is something really satisfying about knowing the underside of the car is protected. I've done similar to you but with dinitrol. Looks the same mind!

thats interesting - matching the tank strap and caliper colour.  Some great work going on there Stone!

Cheers @fla, getting there slowly. 

Only went for the blue on the straps as i bought a bulk load of powder, quite like the contrast though 😎

Never seen the tank straps done like that b4 👍

And always nice to have a shiny mk4 brake upgrade 

Nice work on the straps! 

Is there any special knowledge on the mk4 calipers? I thought i had read somewhere estate ones were different or maybe i am going mad. Wouldn't mind doing this on mine. 

Wow, this is a nice engine and paint work! Keep up the good work and curious to see the next steps, cheers!

@MJA Afaik all Mk4 rear calipers are the same, R32 might be different 🤔

I changed mine to Mk4 a while ago but dont remember it being too much of a drama, had to buy the Goodrich hoses at the time which were expensive but others are avalible now at better prices. Braking performance was much improved, should be better again now they have been rebuilt.

Thanks for the complements otherwise, no-one else sees it so nice to get some positive feedback 😀

Hi all, update on progress over the last few mnths:
Fuel pump assy mounted
New fuel lines run
New brake lines run incl new compensator
Tunnel heat sheild fitted, exhaust installed
Front discs changed for drilled/grooved to match rear with EBC red stuff pads
Front subframe re-removed and pcoated due to issues with the finish, wish bones re-repainted also
Battery relocated to boot

b7f77777e2605b29aaf55b96132ccdb6.jpg1fa79d830c673726455fc1f954b34e57.jpgbc94ac07bbd86fafdcf5d67069619f84.jpg757c6b8fcf875812719d3287d49af073.jpg2bf65eb5d467e185f9593f745f0173f0.jpg552a3d5e57dba76bfd4d3204da8a8d7b.jpg89f6daf03ccaf8229fbcc735bb1bd00a.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Similar set up to mine, I take it yours was originally the two pump system, mines the one in tank pump but that now feeds a 044 inline pump, would be interested to know what you did to upgrade your in-tank pump as I now need to look at mine soon.

Great idea about replacing the fuel lines. Did you use hose from the tank to the fuel rail? 

Yeah, went with mocal rubber same diameter as stock all the way through. Most of the studs on the floor pan that take the fuel line clips were dying/dead so I swapped them out and welded 6mm stud; hose clips are for hydraulic hose but work lovely

Sent using Tapatalk

Top 3 gauges sit in a universal holder that took an age to chop in, lower steel plate sits in a grove created by the universal holder and is cut snug to sit in the bottom - took a while but I think the end product looks tidy

Sent using Tapatalk

This all looks superb. I like the blue, it makes it personal.

have you used the Dynax UB before ? 

Yeah used UB front to back, where there was any damage or rust to existing underseal I cleaned it back to bare metal and coated with red oxide and then 3m schutz and UB over the top

Sent using Tapatalk

Thought I'd share the milestone
14.5yrs (how time flies) since the running 16v was removed, this morning the G60 was turned over for the first time, feels like a step closer to running/driving after so long collecting parts and assembly.
Few bits and pieces to do and then it'll be fuel in too see if she'll idle, then it's off to JMR at the end of July for setup 185f64ceed76cb0a31cb28603503052f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk