Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

Settle an argument please - Veyron ??

alright peeps,

whilst down the pub we got on to the subject of cars and me being slightly "merry" come up with the amazing realisation that although the likes of the Veyron et al may be able to supposedly do 250 MPH at any one time i dont think they could actually "travel" 250 miles in 1 hour because i should imagine that whilst doing 250 MPH you would probably only get about 2 MPG and what would the size of the tank be - 20 gallons or something (probably not much space for anything bigger with all them turbo's and rads) - so the car would only be able to do 40 miles or something before running out of juice and would have to be filled up again which obviously takes time, so with my calculations it can only do about 125 miles an hour which means that a VR6 is actually faster than a Veyron !! Or am i just talking B£llocks

:lol:

no, that's right (technically). The McLaren SLR tank empties in 19 minutes at full chat so I doubt the Veyron's much different.

lol never thought about it like that but i doubt a fuel stop would half the average speed, good theory though 8) be careful you don't become dillusionsal though (just finished watching a beautiful mind:lol:)

alright peeps,

whilst down the pub we got on to the subject of cars and me being slightly "merry" come up with the amazing realisation that although the likes of the Veyron et al may be able to supposedly do 250 MPH at any one time i dont think they could actually "travel" 250 miles in 1 hour because i should imagine that whilst doing 250 MPH you would probably only get about 2 MPG and what would the size of the tank be - 20 gallons or something (probably not much space for anything bigger with all them turbo's and rads) - so the car would only be able to do 40 miles or something before running out of juice and would have to be filled up again which obviously takes time, so with my calculations it can only do about 125 miles an hour which means that a VR6 is actually faster than a Veyron !! Or am i just talking B£llocks

:lol:

if the veyron chose to travel not at top speed, but at 2mph faster than the VR it was racing, then it would have the fuel capacity to last longer than the VR, due to accelerating at lower revs.

..but yes, the VR would still be better :roll: :wink:

from what i remember about the veyron on Top Gear they said a full tank would last 12miles at 250mph?? or did i get that all wrong lol

Can anyone remember how much air was being sucked in when travelling at full whack. Was something silly like 10,000 litres per minute or something...

Must have a mighty special K&N in there!!

The Veyron needs a 250 mph petrol tanker to drive along side it and then it will do 250 miles in one hour :-)

Can anyone remember how much air was being sucked in when travelling at full whack. Was something silly like 10,000 litres per minute or something...

According to How Stuff Works it's more like 45,000 litres per minute. The calculations are all there.

Must be a lot more than that, if its 7 litres ish (off the top of my head) at 6000 rpm it will be using approx 42000 (7 *6000) litres a minute negating the volume of fuel injected and a lot of other things, gives you a rough idea. Plus it probably revs higher than that!

And it's turbocharged, so you have to take boost pressure into account - ie. if boost is 15psi/1bar, then that technically doubles the amount of air being drawn in...

so if we say that a corrado is faster than a veyron, also theoretically my battered old transit van is faster than a corrado - because you can summarise that getting from A to B it is quicker than a corrado because:

1, the van can go over speed bumps without ripping off the front bumper

2, the van can go over bumps in the road without going strangely uncontrollably sideways

3, the van actually has wing mirrors that you can see things in so you can overtake without praying !

3, you do not shut your eyes every time you go near a bramble bush down a country lane

4, vans do not run away from people with asda shopping trolleys like the corrado

5, the van actually get 30 plus mpg which i dont spose any rado's get

6, you can actually walk into a dealer and get parts so less waiting around scratching your ar$e

so all in all my van is faster than a veyron

Then again........the helicopters i work on carry 750Kg of fuel and only have a range of 335 miles, or just over 2 hours at normal cruising speed (135 mph).

So if we look at it this way..........

750 kg of fuel.....Spec Gravity of fuel = 0.83.....= 623 litres of fuel.

623 litres = about 155 Gallons

So in mpg we get 2.2mpg!!!!!!

This amount of fuel in the veyron would keep it going for about the same time but at twice the speed (nearly).

Interestingly, the heli has 2000 horsepower...the veyron just under half that!!!

What can we gain from this I hear you ask.......It would appear that the Bugatti is about as economical to run as a high performance military helicopter.

Of course in the heli you don't pay that ****** Gordon Brown road tax and fuel duty is less on aviation fuel, so you could be better off beating the traffic, and the speed bumps and flying to work every day??? :crazyeyes: