Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Junior Mechanic F**k Up!!

Write off city!

I read the original thread on clubgti - apparently they gave the owner a new car.

Then they had the damaged one on an alignment jig and it was spot on, so it has been fixed up and sold on, the new owner probably none the wiser cos it wasn't done via any insurance company.

Well if the car is straight..... surely theres nothing wrong with it?

There wasn't a whole lot of damage - just replace / fix a few panels and the glass?

Can't be the biggest secret a used car is hiding - still, if I was buying a used GTI, i'd prefer it not to have fallen off the ramps at some point!

I once heard a story about t trainee filling up a diesel to the brim with oil, started it up then found out that they couldnt turn it off. something to do with the way diesels work. they had to wait till it died i think

Yeah, my mate had an old van in for MOT which they couldn't turn off after the smoke test... The oil in the engine seeps past the rings and acts like diesel fuel meaning that the engine will keep going until it runs out of oil... Only way to stop it is to try and stall the car... not easy on a metal set of ramps... :shock:

apparently it's possible to stop one by blocking off the air feed, but I wouldn't fancy attempting that on an engine that's getting ready to destroy itself.

« quicky1980 » wrote:I once heard a story about t trainee filling up a diesel to the brim with oil, started it up then found out that they couldnt turn it off. something to do with the way diesels work. they had to wait till it died i think

Yeah, my mate had an old van in for MOT which they couldn't turn off after the smoke test... The oil in the engine seeps past the rings and acts like diesel fuel meaning that the engine will keep going until it runs out of oil... Only way to stop it is to try and stall the car... not easy on a metal set of ramps...

All you need to do is take out the glow plugs and the cylinders will lose their compression and the engine will stop. Might burn your fingers a bit though!! :idea:

I hate it when you go to a garage and they say "put it on the 2 post". I always make sure the little feckers got it on the proper jacking point.

at least it wasnt our dealership,phew!!! :mrgreen: our technitions all use yellow ramps.

as for parts being expensive what you on about, never expensive when i buy them. :D

if it was my car i wouldnt want it back. givem there dues they gave him a new car which is cool. everyone makes mistakes.

sh.t, and im doing my sat job at the garage tommorrow!

i had the same happen to me about 4 years ago with a brand new audi A4 , not my fault i had a lifting cable snap on the ramp i was using at the time , arm dropped to the saftey brake but it was enough for the car to come right off the ramp and land on its side , car was pritty fooked , fault was poorly maintained ramp at a main dealer so its not always the mechanics fault , ive seen accidents like this about 3 times in 21 years in the trade still makes you jump when it happens :multi:

The thing is - if they did it to your Corrado, how are they gonna find a new one of those?

i think i'd insist on a replacement with a brand new eos (no ars*e jokes plse). the one with the 3.2 motor would be adequate for my humble requirements :wink: