Sign in to follow this  
fla

Sound proofing

Just put some of the self adhesive roofing felt on the inner skin of the drivers door to give it a better "thunk". Double layered the door and put some fabric felt i bought on the foam side of the door card. Certainly helps on the noise front - we were doing about 130 on a *cough* a private track and talking absolutely normally. Only did the fabric felt on the passenger door card and that is leagues better too. You certainly notice the noise whn you open the windows or sunroof though. £20 from B&Q (i had a spare roll). I've put a little wedge along the bottom of the inside of the door just in case the heat makes the felt soft and start sliding, shouldnt really do that though. I've got the original Nokia speakers and I cant believe the improvement in sound quality. Amazing. BTW, can anyone suggest some cheapish speaker upgrades?

A mod defintely worth doing. I'll be doing the rest of the car soon too, although I'll try some Skinz if it is as cheap, which according to some, is.

The roofing felt is basically the same stuff as Skinz/Dynamat et al, just not as thick, so it should all work - it just won't look all shiney and pretty :)

Stan 24v, sorry mate didnt take any, but I'll probably be stripping the doors down again at some stage so I'll take some then and post up. There's a lad selling some soundprrofing on ebay 2.5mm thick and about £30 for 10 sheets 20" x 7" which seams a damn good price. Could do two door at least with that.

also (maybe even better) try going down you'r local carpet shop and taking a look at their floorwise or cloud nine foam style underlays. some of the floorwise stuff is basicly identical to dyno matt, and even has a db sound reduction rating (40/60db i think), one bag would cover every squre inch of you'r interior for a very reasonable price. I replaced the very heavy original corrado underlay with this stuff. i'll be sticking panels to the inside of my doors very soon!

so which, as a guestimate, would be better? The B&Q Roof felt or the carpet underlay?

The B&Q stuff isn't very thick, so it doesn't soak up as much sound as proper stuff does, but no idea about this underlay lark.

Yeah Dinkus is right - i've doubled up on the felt on the drivers door so it sounds nice and solid. I'm waiting for the other insulation stuff to arrive to do the rest of the car and I've got a roll of underlay that will go over the rest of the car. To be finished over the summer and I'll post the results later. A20Lee has LOADS of dynamat - i'm sure he can give us a suggestion or two?

Bitument sheeting is for reducing panel vibration and underlay is for sound absorbing. Mix the two together, especially in the boot floor and under the rear seats and you cut exhaust and tyre rumble noises significantly.

i'd say dynamatt the doors to death(2-3rolls per door) and 12mm felt the whole floorplan. That will give you a massive improvement without much outlay. Not convinced i gained a great deal by dynamatting the floorplan think the felt was enough on its own. If your fitting a sub, dynamat the roof too. I only used the roof flashing on areas were it wasn't worth buying more dynamat specifically because it wouldn't make a real difference.

Go easy on the doors, too much weight will prematurely kill the door hinges, as I've found.

Agreed - my drivers door doess feel a LOT heavier so the hinges do receive a fair lubrication quite regularly. I think its the hinge pins that suffer for the extra weight. Does dynamatting the rear quarter panels help significantly? I've got some foam blocks about 30cm square and about 15cm thick. Where would be a good place to use them, even cut down? They're quite dense too.

There's a lad selling some soundprrofing on ebay 2.5mm thick and about £30 for 10 sheets 20" x 7" which seams a damn good price. Could do two door at least with that.

Just thought I'd update this one - firstly the chap on ebay (splcrazy) who was selling the sound proofing didnt send anything, cashed my cheque immedialtely though :mad: Avoid the guy, although he claimed he sent a second delivery after I complained to him about the delay, which i find extremely hard to believe.

Anyway, put some more roofing felt on the passenger side, which for some reason had some chassis grease on it (the yellow stuff all over the engine), which i did my best to remove, but i dont know how much came off. Hope i dont end up with the layers all sliding down. I've got about 20kg of fabric felt in the garage which will be going down on the floor and in the boot. I'm going to double layer the boot floor with the roofing felt first and also stick some in the rear quarters. Will post some pics when its done.