Stephan

VR6 ABS relay

My '95 VR6 has made some buzzing noises under the hood with ignition on, now ABS light comes on and my ABS pump motor seems to be running all the time. Seems there are two relays controlling this - where are they on the fuse-board exactly? (Think one is under the hood, actually..

Stephan

According to the user manual, the Fuses are above the main fuseboard in the car. There is a 30 amp (green) motor fuse and a 30 amp fuse for the main ABS relay. The ones under the bonnet are not mentioned but I'll assume they are also related to the ABS.

The manual also states that the ABS pump can take up to 60 seconds to build up the required pressure. Maybe yours isn't pressurising enough?

Kev

Hi Kev

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check the fuses, but I'm suspicious of the relays. Hope it isn't the pressure failing, that would likely require ABS pump replacement - ouch!

Stephan

Wipers work fine. Locked wheels in the wet today and ABS didn't activate :( Elsewhere someone posted that the sensors at the wheels could be acting up if ABS light comes on intermittently. I'll check that this weekend.

Yes that could be feasible and is the most common problem associated with the ABS system. If you've planning on keeping the VR6 for a while then I really recommend you purchase the excellent VAG-COM diagnostics system. It'll tell you in an instant what the problem is.

By the way, the idle valve and electric water pump also make buzzing noises when the ignition is on, are you sure these aren't making the noise?

Kev

Hmm. I didn't realise the ISV made a noise.. Does anyone have idiot-proof pictures of the ISV on a VR6? I have a noise that comes from under the bonnet on startup (before the engine is turning) which I'd put down to a dodgy aux water pump. Could also be the ABS or ISV, if it's faulty I suppose.

Does anyone in the reading area have VAG-COM and would be willing to plug into mine and tell me why it's feeling lumpy of late?

... I really recommend you purchase the excellent VAG-COM diagnostics system...

I'm guess ££££s but how much and where from mate?

was thinking investing with a mate, so any info would be appreciated :)

Thera

Stephan, if it does turn out to be the ABS pump running continuously and not something else under the bonnet. You need to check out the pressure switch that controls the pump. It turns the pump on and off using the pump relay.

It sounds like it is stuck in the 'under pressure ' position. A bit of a tap might be in order. The switch on a mates Rallye failed so teh pump never ran. The VAG price for a new one was 180 + VAT. I hope thats not it.

Gavin

£180 for a switch is still better than £1500 for the ABS unit.

The relay for the ABS ecu is behind the glovebox.

There is also a large black ECU type box behind the passenger side kick panel. Is this ABS related?

Kev

Thats the abs control unit. Also check that there is no water coming into this area as on my old 16v this happened killing the control unit and causing the pump to kick in intermitantly.

Almost 20 years old! 

The relays behind the glove box - how are these meant to stay in place? Is there a clip or bracket somewhere that mine is missing? Tried various method with velcro, double sided tape but nothing has worked

Thanks

Hasan

8 hours ago, fla said:

Almost 20 years old! 

The relays behind the glove box - how are these meant to stay in place? Is there a clip or bracket somewhere that mine is missing? Tried various method with velcro, double sided tape but nothing has worked

Thanks

Hasan

I had my matrix out not long ago - they do clip into place - its quite an odd way how they come out but cant remember how i did it. 

There is a silver metal mounting plate that is bolted to the top of the bulk head and the relay wiring harness clips into the slots on the mounting plate.

I'll see if I have a pic'...

Thanks.

Is this in front of the duct from the fan or behind it? Ive been trying to stick the relays to the front (the bit that you see not the side facing the bulkhead)...maybe thats where 8m going wrong. Also mine has aircon, so would the mounting be different at all?

Found the setup image on google ( from the thread: G60 ABS Issue - Not the Usual - Drivetrain - The Corrado Forum (the-corrado.net) ) and the relay image from ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334259369727 ).

The relay socket has a T-piece type affair which slots between the "fingers" of the mounting plate. It could be these are cracked and don't hold it in place anymore?

G60-ABS-issue.jpg

VW-relay-socket.jpg

Many thanks for digging this out Philly. Yes, the clips on the side of one are broken off so they've been taped together. Would you by any chance have a pic of what this then clips into ,where thats located and how its fixed? I'll post up a pic of the relays in my car tomorrow hopefully

Thanks again

Edited by fla

So here's my set up with the cables for the abs relays coming under the air duct. But there's no apparent area to fit them.properly

20220514_123952.jpg

20220514_124001.jpg

Above the airbox (internal fan body area) there will be two studs pointing down from the horizontal part of the car body (under the windscreen).
Two nuts hold the mounting plate up - they may even be plastic nuts?

Hasan, I was led to believe that due to the diavia aircon box, these would no longer fit correctly. 

As was suggested to me before, I tucked them up behind the box and bulkhead,  never been an issue and accessible if needed. 

Nice to have finally seen how they were supposed to have fit as I did wonder 👍

Thanks Philly, i'll have a look.

Cressa - good to know and a good suggestion, i'll try that instead of looking to fit them at the front.