Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

advice on 'girly' cars

I have a friend who has just passed her test and has asked if ill help her look for a car, obviously im more than willing to help her!

so far i have got out of her that it her budget is £4,500, it should be small and she doesnt want anything over 1.2.

Obviously in the price range were not going to get anything new (and dont think id let her unless it was a decent spec 'offer' type with eligible free insurance)

As she hasnt told me what cars she like the ones im currently thinking about taking her to look at are:

Lupo

Polo

Fox (may not be to many used though!)

Corsa

New panda

107/C1/Aygo (again not convinced of 'used' availability but doesnt hurt to look!!)

any other thoughts guys and girls? probably missed a couple of very obvious candidates!!

Would happily chuck in a vote for a Ford Ka. My missus has had one she bought from new (a 51 reg) and despite the 'legendary' Ford reputation, nothing has broken on it yet.. in fact its never cost her a penny other than general servicing etc and she's done 34,000 miles in it.

It is a 1.3 but very low insurance group, goes ok, and is quite comfortable.

I've driven it on and off when i've been between cars, etc and I reckon its not a bad motor at all!

Lupo. Black. Dropped and with some wide old skool rims :)

Or what about one of those gay little nissans thayt trig was threatening to buy for his mrs?

I think I'd be looking at a Lupo TDI with that budget. Cheap to run, minimal devaluation and pretty funky-looking.

Nothing Jap or French IMO

I'd be rooting for a Polo or a Lupo... although insurance premiums tend to be higher on dubs in general!

I personally can't stand the Ford Ka(ck) they do nothing for me visually both inside and out... but at the end of the day it's all about what she feels comfortable in!

Take her for a few test drives and see what she likes.

Not keen on ford Ka's but you can write "Ulrikakaka KA" on the back when its dirty! haha

if your going for the lupo, get a 1.4 sport.

the petrol is more drivable than the diesel and tends to come with extra toys as dealers used them for demo.

on the insurance front theres not alot of difference between the 1.0 and the 1.4.

To state the obvious, I assume she is the same age as you and thus would appreciate a low insurance group car - so nothing fancy (although makes little difference to a lot of us, it can for a 1st time driver). Would we be right to assume she is not car mad either?

Then, being typically sexist, I presume she wants a hatchback so as to make parking easy. That narrows it down somewhat.

Forget the Polo, highly overpriced; my gf ended up buying a Megan Dynamique instead of a Polo (the polo feeling a smaller car and lower spec'd).

For £4k you'd get a very good hatchback second-hand; this list is almost endless. Id expect very low mileage. I dont know what to offer because I dont like any of the hatchbacks of that ilk, all poorly spec'd. The Clio, Fiesta, Ka all feel plasticy inside - but maybe your friend doesnt care.

*The only way is to test drive them and see what she likes. Individual people can like some odd things about cars that makes thier mind up; so take her out and help her find test drives and finally a car. Point out the options to her, ask if Diesel is an option, etc etc etc.

Do you need a list of cars to look at? How about Honda Jazz or Civic? Would she consider Skoda? I mean, so many modern cars will be reliable for the time she will own it !!!

* or as Phil says

Take her for a few test drives and see what she likes.
:lol:

Ford Ka every time................we're(well the missus) on our 3rd now,97-99,then 2001-presently(2x KA2's and now a SportKA) and tbh the only thing that would tempt her out of it is a BMW MINI......nothing major has gone wrong other than the C/L motor going on the second one,tho they can suffer some rust where the door and rear qtr meet,but mechanically they are tough little cars with decent economy

Oooh… Arosa, Lupo or Ka would get my vote… had a corsa and the build quality is pants, plus I got better MPG in my rado...!

Had a Ka as a courtesy car for a few days – loads of fun!!! It was like driving a go kart all day, it was the 1.3, really nippy round town and happy to cruise on the motorway too… too small for me though….

Or what about one of those gay little nissans thayt trig was threatening to buy for his mrs?

That would be a Figaro then!

My mrs still plans on getting one at the end of the year when prices are cheaper. Funny how you start spotting them around when you take an interest.

At the moment she drives a Ford Ka though and I have to say it's cost her about 60p to keep it on the road in the last 3 years. Highly reccomended.

thats the one! i'm sure she'll love it mate :)

i have to say fords are pretty damn reliable these days - my ex's is still going at 140k + and that includes a period of about 70k without so much as an oil change or service of any sort!!!

all its had in 7 years/140k is a clutch! :)

Cheers for the input guys.

yes she is the same age as me, well almost!!!

she is looking for a 'little' car or i would be gently pushing her down the raddo route :lol:

i hadnt considered the clio, fiesta, Ka etc.. due to their plasticness, ill obviously still point them out to her as possibilities.

completly forgot about the Skoda's, Honda's and Seat's!!!

StuartFRZ400 - im not after a list of cars to take her to see so much as a reminder of cars ive forgotton to consider putting to her!

Not sure on the Ka front, my bro's a spanner monkey at a Ford stealership and doesn't rate the Ka or the Fiesta. My Parents have a new Fiesta and its had to go back in for all sorts, rear windows drop, had a new headlight, new steering rack - all fixed under warranty but v.poor build quality.

my missus was looking a couple of weeks ago, and all the researchers here recommended the Yaris.

as said above, nothing French :)

I know it's french but the citroen c3 pluriel is a proper girls car. Not sure what price they are going for though.

Failing that if you just want a small car get a Seat Ibiza, can't beat them on value for money (and it's a vw). For 4500 you should be able to get an an 03 or 04 plate.

dinkus, carefull now... :roll:

Yaris are very good, reliable and well specc'd for the price

KA seem not to loose much money if you pick one up at a reasonable price

VW seem to be heavy on insurance

Seat arosa seem to be very nice little cars and are what I'd aim at having a really good look at

All purely my own opinions... ;)

I thought G60's were girls cars? :lol:

this coming from Mr Pink???

You're making the mistake of taking me seriously...ever. :lol:

I thought G60's were girls cars? :lol:

this coming from Mr Pink???

You're making the mistake of taking me seriously...ever. :lol:

i knew there was something i was doing wrong.........

hmmm in that case i must remember to never take you seriously again why you suggest putting petrol on a barbecue!! :onfire: