Sign in to follow this  
andy

Picking up my new toy tomorrow :-)

I've had the Corrado off the road for a few months to do, rear bushes, sunroof etc. Its nearly done but I've decided to change my daily driver to a Mk 2 Golf GTi from the Renault Clio 1.2 (feeeel the power) I've been using. I can't wait! Its only the 8V version but I've always fancied one, there is something about Mk2s I reckon. Its 16 years old but really good nick, only 76000 miles (less than 5k a year from new) barely a stone chip on the bonnet. 3rd owner at the mo, (very fussy old chap with a mint Mk1 convertible). Hope its charms don't drag me away from the Corrado. Anyone else into Mk2s?

I totally agree with you about there being somthing about mk2's once your into them you never 100% get them out of your system..

Nice choice, you well love it straight away no question. I've had 1 mk1 8v and 4 mk2 8vs. and one mk2 16v which i hated! PICKS PICKS PICKS!

I love them mate!

I bought my Corrado after smashing up my 2nd Mk2.

The Raddo was superior in every way, but i still missed the golf. So I bought one to have as a daily driver and never looked back. I did, however, loose the plot and start modifying it too!!!

Sounds like you got yourself a minter! :thumbleft:

I've had a fair few MK2s too. The interior layout takes a bit of getting used to if you're used to the C! A bit dated is an understatement, but tonnes better visibility.

16Vs are a fantastic ride if you get a good one, otherwise they feel flat and lethargic. 8Vs are great too, probably better than the valver for general pootling about.....but the 239mm brakes are a bit poo.

I ran Mark IIs before upgrading to the VR. Another classic motor. Looking for a cheap one to have running side by side eventually.

I'm about to upgrade the rado brakes to 288s, will my old 280s fit on the golf? That could be handy!

an all time classic car, i had 6 in about 10 years and never had a major problem with any of them, i think the 280mm disc conversion is do-able, but you need g60 carriers/discs, so fairly straight forward. and get some pics up when you get it. 8)

I had a minter and i always look back and miss it.

Was white 8v with BBS RA's and dead standard, just how they should be if you ask me.

Along with the VR6 Corrado, would have one in my all time collection of great cars to own anytime.

Cool comments guys. I drove it down a pretty rough lane on the test drive and there wasn't a squeak or rattle from anywhere. More than I can say for the rado! I've been doing some research, am I right in thinking it will be digifant? From what I've read there doesn't seem to be many worthwhile mods, merely making sure its running peachy. Will get some photos up after its had the treatment!

I got given one about a month ago, which is now owned by a mate (and he loves it!). I've always loved the looks of the Mk2, and find mine good fun to drive, easy to work on, and the parts are SO cheap! :-)

Enjoy!

bcstudent, that is spooky! You just need to get another Mk2 now! :D

andy 280mm is very doable, you don't necessarily need g60 hubs, 16v ones will do as well. (i'm in the middle of collecting parts for my mk2!) All you need is the hubs, discs, pads, calipers and carriers.

Oh, and wheels big enough to go over your new stoppers!!! :lol:

I love mk2's as well. Black or bright blue. The shape (when lowered) just looks so chunky and right. Very practicle and cheap car too.

Once I've narrowed rado ownership down to one good one, I'm gonna buy a mk2 daily hack.

If I was looking to buy another car it probably would be a Mk2 8v. However, I only do about 4k miles a year in the car I've got so it wouldn't be a lot of use to me right now!

MK2 lover here as well... never give up my red rado for one...

currently... i was missing having an MK2 around... so i made the girl buy one for her self... and since then i bought here Rota track r wheels in white to match the alpine white jetta it is, B&G springs with tokico shocks, recaro trophy interior, GLI trunk, cross hair single round conversion and an FK badgeless, big bumpers, and a grille spoiler...

haha and it's not really even my car... oh yeh, and it gets my G60 engine when i pull it from my car to drop in my built 16v turbo...

i have always loved the Mk2 but never owned one.... im a big fan of the later big bumper version myself.

lower it and add a set of split rims and thats all it needs! perfect!

I've got an early Mk2, split side windows, 5 door, small bumpers.

Its had an easy life, but still tinkering to get it back up to scratch. The plan is it'll be my daily driver and have a Rado for fun. Atleast then one of them should work so I'll never be carless! :D

A few pics...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00029.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00031.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00030.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00028.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00024.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/Tom_vRS/Golf GTI/DSC00027.jpg

i miss my mk2, mit start looking for one as a daily driver, really want a oak green one this time tho!

spot on mate, the oak green on a big bumper GTI always looked the nuts. i worked with a guy a couple of years ago who was planning to sell his and asked if i was interested... thought about it over a weekend and by the monday he'd been t-boned and written it off! :shock:

Sold my mkII to buy my Corrado and still miss it to this day :( It was a 90 big bumper in white,uprated suspension,roll cage,stripped out interior. Not particularly a good one but was loads of fun. Did a couple of track days in it....Fantastic.

red corrado16v, your golf is originally from anglesey 8)

i too went from golf to rado