Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Fecked FUeULiNg VR6

Having a few running problems with my VR after carrying out a few mods!

Ive recently fitted 264 cams,ported inlet manifold and TB. Seemed to run fine for a while ,but then it began playing up! It starts up first time but you have to be gentle with it cause it can stall. It developed a misfire and I ended up replacing the coil ,plugs and leads. That sorted the misfire ,but now it seems to have a fuelling issue! The car cut out every now and then on every journey, so I cleaned the ISV. The idle got worse ,lumpy. I changed the blue temp switch as it sounded as though it may be running rich ,popping from exhaust etc. This didnt really change much so I ended up replacing the MAF today! Took the car for a spin to do basic settings and the idle was all over the place ,and stalled pretty much every junction!

The car did seem to pull better I felt ,but the idle and stalling was pretty bad. I plugged the laptop in to try and carry out BS and cleared a fault which read something like " Lambda something not reached" went into BS and selected 001 but it would not let me select GO.

Looking at the lambda level it was at 0.7900 or round abouts! Went back into fault codes and the same fault was there! Is this why I cant select go?

Do you think most of my problems have been a fecked probe?

This is really driving me mad and Ive been throwing money at it for long enough now !! :x

I quick reply would be smashing ,I need to get it sorted for the Pod on sunday! :)

Cheers corradovr6sc, but I really need to get this sorted today! Im probably going to order a probe today.When previously looking on vag com the lambda did seem to move up and down fast between 1.000 and 0.900 or there abouts! I really hope a new probe solves it otherwise Im going to be :mad: !

Cheers corradovr6sc, but I really need to get this sorted today! Im probably going to order a probe today.When previously looking on vag com the lambda did seem to move up and down fast between 1.000 and 0.900 or there abouts! I really hope a new probe solves it otherwise Im going to be :mad: !

Ok. If you can't get one today I can send mine next day delivery for tommorow if that helps (sent you a pm)

"Lambda - adaptation limit not reached"

That error means the fuelling is off and the ECU/lambda ran out of options.

If the lambda voltage was fluctuating rapidly from 0.1 to 0.8 V after the 2 minute warmup period, it's working. Although if it's an old probe, it could be laggy and not reacting fast enough for the ECU's liking. For the sake of £70 for a brand spanker from VW, it's worth replacing and outruling it. The extra air your throttle and cams are letting in the engine could be tipping the old probe over the edge.

If not that, you need to go over the intake with a fine toothcomb and look for air leaks and wiring faults etc.

Good luck!

Right guys just got back from Gatwick to pick up my braided fuel lines at Parcel force depot.

WOW! :shock: I think the MAF must of had a problem as it pulled like mad! It has never pulled as strong ,so pretty pleased about that!

Still have got the over fuelling issue though. I was wondering whether I carried out the BS procidure wrong? When you say warm up period do you mean I have to run the car from start at temp for 2 mins before carrying out BS?

corradovr6sc, that would of been great mate but Ive only just read the post,cheers anyway! :wink:

Just plugged the laptop back in and the lambda seems to be doing what it should! Tried to carry out BS but still the GO button doesnt highlight on 001! Has this got anything to do with the adaption code thing that I have never typed in ?

Also got a fuel adaption not reached fault code!

This is starting to wind me up a little! :x

Decided to start the BS procedure again ,disconnecting the bat and taking for a 30 min run. Got back with the engine still running the same ,over fuelling and plugged the laptop in. Checked the fault codes and they were clear. Went into BS and still couldn't select GO! Went back into fault codes and there it was again "Lambda - adaptation limit not reached" !

I really do hope a new probe will sort this out!

Right sorry if Im boring everyone ,but Im close to taking a base ball bat to my car :bad-words: !

Changed the lambda ,which was a little bit of a pain to change having to drop the down pipe etc. It made no difference the cars still over fuelling ,no fault codes now and still cutting out! I took the vac hose of the FPR and drove the car and it didnt seem to cut out! Changed it over with a 3 bar one Ive got from a 2.8 and doesnt seem to cut out as much. I think this is just because Ive lowered the pressure? Ive still got popping exhaust ,kangarooing and lumpy idle! I still cant carry out the basic settings procedure.

Can the ISV effect the overall fuelling and running of the car? What other things could cause over fuelling?

Im starting to think that the ECU is up the blink and thats probably why I cant do the Basic settings maybe?

Really could do with some help on this one cheers!

Im not sure I was going to take it out to have a look at the part no because I could probably pick one up for £55 +vat which is pretty good to know! I should have given it a compression test when I had the chance ,as my dad brought a gauge home from work ,but decided not to as the engine was rebuilt 30k ago so I didnt bother. I can check the injectors on vag com cant I?

triggermyson, Id love to do obd2 conversion but not just yet ,Got holidays and stuff to save for! BORING lol :)

You can't check for a stuck injector, no, not that I'm aware of.

You would know a stuck injector, because the spark plug will be soaked in petrol.

Right Ive know put a second hand ecu on and it seems to be exactly the same as before ,so Im rather p**sed off now after spending another £70!

Can a faulty ISV give the same problems?

Heres what VAGCOM brought up :

RPM 680 - 720

TEMP 89.6

LAMBDA .900 - 1.000 FLUCTUATING

TIMING 3 - 6 FLUCTUATING

INJ TME 3.80 - 4.00 FLUCTUATING

EN LOAD 4.O%

THRT ANG 12.5

INT TMP 61.6

Ive inspected for air leaks and I dont think thats the problem. There are no fault codes present.I have now put back in the original FPR and flowed TB.

Please stay with me on this one ,I need all the help I can get!

Should the timing be moving up and down the way it is? If the intermediate sprocket has jumped a tooth when refitting cams ,coud this of upset the timing there for its fuelling wrong? Could it just be it needs remapping too set it up to the mods? Vince at Stealth racing did say it should run alright because the cam pro wasnt that wild.

Can someone please tell me why I cant carry out basic settings ,is it just because the values arent correct to carry out the procedure?

On the subject of Lambda, what is the difference between 'adaption limit and 'Control limit' not reached? Got code 00537 coming up every time I check Vag-com after clearing the fault code. Lambda sensor hunting around .86. Usually fine at 1.0. Ta, search is not too conclusive :?

I think its a timing problem ,the chain has slipped on the intermediate sprocket whilst fitting the cams so Im having the gearbox off this weekend to sort it out!

Im also fitting a Fidanza flywheel :)

Right Ive had the Gearbox out and the lower timing marks are spot on ,so it couldn't of slipped a tooth!

Could this be because the cams are about a mm out on the aligning tool?

This is really starting to wind me right up and my car is now in a 1000 pieces on my Dads drive in till I get to the bottom of the over fuelling!

May be it could be injectors? Could it be the way the cams have been machined?

Should have done it before hand but can I compression test the engine just my turning the bottom pulley ,probably not.

I think I might have to stick the old cams back in and see how they time up. Vince was the one that advised me to check the timing,and I have so what could it be? Could the cams being a smidgen out of line on the cam alignment tool make it fuel like that?

I got the cams from Dougherty Race Cams of ebay and they are said to be new not regrinds. Has anyone fitted these cams and had problems with them?

Really desperate for help guys!