Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Engine Bay Clean - How To With Pics

Thought I'd make a how to on 'cleaning an engine bay', mainy for the VR engine. Let me know what you think.

What You'll need:

- 1 or 2 clean soft brushes

- Engine Bay Cleaner

- A Hose Pipe Or Power Wash

- Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care (or other makers equivalent)

- Plastic Sandwich Bags And/Or Cling Film

- About An Hour

- Kitchen Roll

In these first 4 pics you can see the state of the engine and what I've covered up to stop getting wet. Notice the red arrows. I've used plastic sandwich bags and clingfilm to stop the components getting wet.

I've covered my alarm, the aircon fuses, the (help???) sensor around the air intake tube and the alternator, although you can't really see it in the pics. The MAF sensor is also covered.

Please correct me on any of these as I'm not really technical and I'll edit. Also, if a valeter sees this and spots something I've done wrong please point it out.

Now get your engine degreaser, I used Autoglyms Degreaser, and spray it liberally all over the engine bay. Don't worry about getting it on your bodywork, it's friendly to paint, just hose it down later.

Now once you've done that, get a hose or power wash and GENTLY hose everything down, working from the bottom up. Don't use a power wash on a high setting, letting the water trickle out is enough.

Finally, once everythings hosed off, get rid of any standing water (like in the oil cap area) with the kitchen roll.

Now get your rubber/vinyl/back to black bottle and spray that all over too (I used Meguiars Interior NXT Cleaner). You can use a cloth or clean brush to work it in.

Now just let it dry and remove all the plastic bags or clingfilm.

Now stand back and admire your handy work! The first pic is after I cleaned the slam panel (???) but before I cleaned the engine bay.

I generally leave it with the bonnet up for half an hour/an hour before driving off but I can't see why you couldn't straight away.

Thats It!

Any thoughts peeps!

I do this on two cars each year. It gives a great result.

I only cover the alternator and have never had any problems on the VR6.

Looks great!

Yeah all the major sensors have rubber seals in the plugs, so not really necessary to bag them up imo.

Whats a Radiator brush? (Thats a ganeuine question BTW, before you start :lol:)

Good write up too 8)

:D

It's what painters use to paint behind a radiator. (A house radiator).

Basically a long handled brush!

Nice one mate. Gonna have a go myself tomorrow. I'm a bit paranoid about spraying that degreaser all over the place though.

Can I do it indiscriminately? And then you sprayed the interior cleaner over everything too?

Cheers

Was a while back this.

Use AG degreaser on anything. It's just citrus based stuff I think. I use it on door/boot shuts, engines and alloy wheels! Great stuff!

Cover up whats noted and you'll be fine. Get a brush too.

Could do it in sections if your worried? If poss, leave it to dry off for an hour or more.

Radostormvr6, your engine bay is just plain silly mate. Personally I think you've photoshopped the entire thing... ;)

Radostormvr6, your engine bay is just plain silly mate. Personally I think you've photoshopped the entire thing... ;)

It's even more sickening in the metal Trig! Not a mark or bit of dirt on it.

It's like the antithesis of mine!! :)