Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Up-rated Headlight Looms

I have gone for an ebay one, off a chap who seems to sell loads of them, who has 100% positive feedback, I'm mainly getting it for R&D purposes though as i hope to develop my own one which is the nuts, ie double relayed, fuse protected and 100% weather proofed.

THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT THIS HEADLAMP LOOM DO ALL MODELS HAVE TO HAVE THEM FITTED OR IS IT AFTER A CERTAIN YEAR THE LOOM HAS ALREADY BEEN UPGRADED. CAUSE I KNOW THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE HEADLIGHTS ARE BAD

so you dont think its worth it or better or making your own loom with a little relay on it

Hi there,

I am amongst many guys who are after this long awaited wiring loom Ive PM Andy & left messages on the forum site he created to no avail.

The last bloke who made some a year ago disapeared after being overwelmed by orders I would imagine.

Does anyone know any other options I can follow?

Muchas gracias,

Please see this thread if you have had dealings with andy_vw with regard to uprated wiring looms. Especially if you have handed any money over.

Edit: the issue i had with Andy is now resolved.

Was this basically to improve the lighting on the rado?

Does it work??

Are there any other ways of getting better lighting performance, as i am getting a little worried due to me having along drive in the dark when i pic up my new one.

HID kit prices are falling...

I myself managed to fit a genuine Bosch unit to the car, its the best decision I have ever made! Easy to fit & is like daylight :shock:

Who else other then me, HAS handed money over?

Me too, geezer.

I'm the patient sort, but this thing is getting old now. And my candles are burning low.

All I'll say for the moment, is that if I took money off you nearly three months ago and still I hadn't produced the goods I said I would deliver 8 weeks ago, I would at least keep you up to date via PM. No such courtesy extended my way.

When I take delivery of my new Rado I'll be needing an uprated loom for my "candles". I used to get mine from H100VW but he's long gone now I think! Where's the most reliable place to get a decent loom which is nicely sealed from the elements?

When I take delivery of my new Rado I'll be needing an uprated loom for my "candles". I used to get mine from H100VW but he's long gone now I think! Where's the most reliable place to get a decent loom which is nicely sealed from the elements?

Forget your uprated looms (unless you wish to make then yourself) i have tried literally for years with the one hit wonders who claim to make them to order & then dissapear... trust me HID Bosch units are the way to go... 8)

Honestly, make your own - I have the electrical engineering abilities of a drunken jelly fish, but as long as you're logical and thorough, it's really straightforward. Just solder and heatshrink all the connections, use waterproof fuse holders and the OE headlamp connectors which you can still get from VAG. And stick the relays in a waterproof box - I've just bought some neat Addis tupperware-type ones and am going to grommet and seal them to house the relays. At the moment they're in a Gore-Tex sock :)

If you look at Andy's thread in the suppliers' forum I listed a load of relevant information and supplier links. It's honestly not that difficult and if you do it yourself, at least you know it's been done properly. And it's actually quite satisfying, honest.

Failing that, there's a guy in the states, Eurowires or something, erm, http://www.eurowires.net who looks like he knows his arse from his elbow, but no idea if he'll export. Most of the eBay ones look pretty shonky with crimped, unsealed connections that'll corrode and die once water gets at them.

Honestly, make your own - I have the electrical engineering abilities of a drunken jelly fish, but as long as you're logical and thorough, it's really straightforward. Just solder and heatshrink all the connections, use waterproof fuse holders and the OE headlamp connectors which you can still get from VAG. And stick the relays in a waterproof box - I've just bought some neat Addis tupperware-type ones and am going to grommet and seal them to house the relays. At the moment they're in a Gore-Tex sock :)

If you look at Andy's thread in the suppliers' forum I listed a load of relevant information and supplier links. It's honestly not that difficult and if you do it yourself, at least you know it's been done properly. And it's actually quite satisfying, honest.

Failing that, there's a guy in the states, Eurowires or something, erm, http://www.eurowires.net who looks like he knows his arse from his elbow, but no idea if he'll export. Most of the eBay ones look pretty shonky with crimped, unsealed connections that'll corrode and die once water gets at them.

As I've just bought another Corrado I need another loom and making my own is sounding like the best bet. Have you got a link to the thread you're on about with supplier info?

As I've just bought another Corrado I need another loom and making my own is sounding like the best bet. Have you got a link to the thread you're on about with supplier info?

That's be this one. I posted some details a couple of times towards the end of the thread - also on the forum somewhere are the part numbers for the VAG headlight connectors and repair wires. If I have time later, I'll try and dig them out. I'm having an end of week work panic frenzy at the moment :(

Thanks guys. With regard to HID- any links to where to buy a decent set should I decide to go down that route?

Thanks guys. With regard to HID- any links to where to buy a decent set should I decide to go down that route?

HID's a bit of a can of worms. I had a hids4u.co.uk bixenon set-up that was complete pants in the 'rado but much better in my mark 2, but even then the main beam was pretty lacking. My advice would be to find someone who's found a set-up that works well in the Corrado and get the same because based on my experience at least, our headlight design seems quite finnicky about what'll work with it. And watch out for glare issues, halogen reflectors aren't really designed to work with HIDs, the projectors in In Pro type lights are much better and will give you a better cut-off to avoid dazzling other drivers. There's loads of stuff on eBay, but it's hard to know what will work with a Corrado light unless you try it. IMO anyway :?

HID's a bit of a can of worms. I had a hids4u.co.uk bixenon set-up that was complete pants in the 'rado but much better in my mark 2, but even then the main beam was pretty lacking. My advice would be to find someone who's found a set-up that works well in the Corrado and get the same because based on my experience at least, our headlight design seems quite finnicky about what'll work with it. And watch out for glare issues, halogen reflectors aren't really designed to work with HIDs, the projectors in In Pro type lights are much better and will give you a better cut-off to avoid dazzling other drivers. There's loads of stuff on eBay, but it's hard to know what will work with a Corrado light unless you try it. IMO anyway :?[/quote:160onvw2]

From what I've heard I'd agree with that.

Chars for the link. There's so many flippin' uprated headlight loom threads going around at the moment I forget which is which :lol:

Having spent the last 2 and a bit hours repairing my stereo loom (some bastid had hacked the stereo out at some stage, so needed to put a new bit of loom and plug in) I'm game to try a bit of headlight loom making. I'll be mostly using crimps though - soldering is a pain in the arse!

HID's a bit of a can of worms. I had a hids4u.co.uk bixenon set-up that was complete pants in the 'rado but much better in my mark 2, but even then the main beam was pretty lacking. My advice would be to find someone who's found a set-up that works well in the Corrado and get the same because based on my experience at least, our headlight design seems quite finnicky about what'll work with it. And watch out for glare issues, halogen reflectors aren't really designed to work with HIDs, the projectors in In Pro type lights are much better and will give you a better cut-off to avoid dazzling other drivers. There's loads of stuff on eBay, but it's hard to know what will work with a Corrado light unless you try it. IMO anyway :?

From what I've heard I'd agree with that.

Chars for the link. There's so many flippin' uprated headlight loom threads going around at the moment I forget which is which :lol:

Having spent the last 2 and a bit hours repairing my stereo loom (some bastid had hacked the stereo out at some stage, so needed to put a new bit of loom and plug in) I'm game to try a bit of headlight loom making. I'll be mostly using crimps though - soldering is a pain in the arse![/quote:2skflj81]

No probs. The heat shrink crimps seem like a good compromise for under the bonnet work. You've probably seen them, but if not, it's a combination of a crimp housed in a heatshrink casing with adhesive, so you crimp them as per normal then use a heatgun or even a lighter to shrink the casing over it. The adhesive effectively seals the join. They're quite expensive, but then the prospect of my lights failing in the middle of nowhere's never filled me with joy.

My take is that it's worth sealing as much as possible cos otherwise it'll die - my Mark 2 loom did pretty much that. I can see why people get fed up with making looms for sale, that's why I suggested to Andy that he might consider putting together a comprehensive 'how to', seeing as he's a professional electrical guy. I'm kind of tempted to do one myself, but I'm a bit wary with something safety critical like a headlight loom :?

Yeah, I've got all kinds of self adhesive and normal heat-shrink at my disposal from work :lol: Haven't seen those heatshring crimps though, but they'll definitely be making an outing on the loom.

If you've made yours and it works, then post some diagrams and/or pics up. As long as you've not used super skinny wire that gets toasty hot then it'll be fine.

I know what you mean about stuff getting wet though. I had one of those schitt spade type connector looms before and the number of times it'd just die because something had corroded and/or got water in it. Not fun.

Who else other then me, HAS handed money over?

Me too, geezer.

I'm the patient sort, but this thing is getting old now. And my candles are burning low.

All I'll say for the moment, is that if I took money off you nearly three months ago and still I hadn't produced the goods I said I would deliver 8 weeks ago, I would at least keep you up to date via PM. No such courtesy extended my way.

Aye, same here bud. No PM or nothing :(

I am willing to wait if i was getting updates but i just arent. But i really could do with this loom, as all ive got is one of the looms off of ebay. So far so good with it, but i could do with both lights for full beam. Im not confident enough to make my own either. If anyone is gonna give it a crack let me know :lol: ...... seriously.