Sign in to follow this  
JT

brentacre- my bad experience

so i cancelled my insurance after only 10 days of taking out the policy with the highly recommended brentacre insurance company, who thought it was perfectly exceptable to charge me £120 bearing in mind my policy for the year was only £450. and to top it off "garry" the representative could'nt have given less of a shit about the fact, even after he openly admitted that he would'nt have been happy with that sort of charge either.

not impressed and will never even consider useing or referring brentacre ins. ltd. to anyone. and suggest too anyone that in my experience you can't go far wrong with adrian flux.

If its in the Terms and Conditions then they haven't actually done anything wrong - under insurance law its the customers responsibility to read them and accept them - I have always accepted the fact that cancelling a policy is going to cost you big time.

I agree its a heavy penalty to pay but its probably par for the course

thats not my problem, my problem is where they get off justifing that kind of amount of money for canceling your policy less than 14 days after you take it out and pay for it in full!!!!! i would'nt bat an eye lid if it was a month - 6 weeks old but 10 fucking days is just taking the piss imo.

call back asking to speak to John (and only John) and advise that your a member here, im sure he will do his best to help

Furkz: i thought about that but to be honest what difference should it make!!!

supercharged: apparently not, cooling off period is only £40 but brentacre have there own charges they neglect to inform you of bumping the final payment to £120. ombudsman ?

You get a 14 day cooling off period during which time you are entitled to a FULL refund, including any extra charges they make, that's the definition of a full refund.

Yeah - I think they're ripping you off there potentially.

Every insurance deal i've taken out includes a cooling off period where you are entitled to every single penny back.

Yup, ask to speak to John (the boss) - he'll look after you.

He works 8am-4pm (I think) our time, as he actually lives in Oz now and works over the Internet ;) Jammy sod.

(They just transfer you as if he's on the next desk - but it actually uses VoIP).

He gets a lot of business from us - and will do his best to correct any problems.

He may also be interested to hear how you were treated, especially as he may feel a little disjointed from the company now.

Sorry to hear abt the charges etc... Like Furks & others have said speak to them in a resonable tone & ask for written proof abt the charges & 14day cancellation & what charges will be incured.

I dont see why you should be charged that amount..

Ive been with them 2yrs & never had any issues...

If you exercise said 14 day cooling off period, would that mean that you were technically not insured during that period?

Or could you just keep on getting insurance, cancelling it, and swapping companies after 14 days?

ok well just to let everyone know, i phoned first thing this morning and tied to speak to john, in short they could'nt let me speak to john till friday, so i tried to explain the situation to the guy i ws on the phone to also agred that it is alott of money and that he would'nt be happy with having to pay that amount for such a short period but in his own words "thats the way it is and theres nothing i can do"

so yeah i won't be using or recommending brentacre to anyone.

cheers forf all the help tho guys.

ok well just to let everyone know, i phoned first thing this morning and tied to speak to john, in short they could'nt let me speak to john till friday, so i tried to explain the situation to the guy i ws on the phone to also agred that it is alott of money and that he would'nt be happy with having to pay that amount for such a short period but in his own words "thats the way it is and theres nothing i can do"

so yeah i won't be using or recommending brentacre to anyone.

cheers forf all the help tho guys.

keep going josh, thats not good enough. they will give you back the full amount if you pursue it.

Just depends if you can be arsed!

JT: can i recommend City Insurance in Salisbury, just along from woolworths towards the cathedral close...... if you speak to mark he is a very helpful guy........ and they are local...... it's quite nice actually seeing who you are buying your insurance from...

cheers guys...

bristolbaon, to be honest bud i tired again this morning but just got the same text book explanations, i asked to speak to one of there superiors, and was told " there is'nt anyone you can talk too" i don't like being ripped off but i also hate people who repeat themselves and obviously don't seem to bothered about my point of view.

anyway i've had a pm, and if the person does get in contact hopefully it can be resolved i exspected a charge but not near enough 30% of the annual policy.

You get a 14 day cooling off period during which time you are entitled to a FULL refund, including any extra charges they make, that's the definition of a full refund.

Unfortunatly mate thats not true, during the 14days if you are on cover they can charge you for the time you have been on cover (usually subject to a minimum fee) + any admin fee they decide on. Under FSA rules though this cooling off period must be explained to you along with the charges that will apply when you set up the policy. Most companies record their calls now so might be worth finding out if you were told this....

Good luck.

Martin

i tried to explain to them on the phone that this was'nt explained but all i got was the robot like responses they read from in this kind of situation.

and to be honest i was hoping that i was gonna get a call from john after he was informed about the situation, but have'nt heard a thing and all i got was the usual letter saying "thanks for your buisness" etc. i can't be bothered to chase it up... probably cos i just know i won't get anywhere for my trouble and time, but i can't reccommend brentacre obviously due to my exsperiences and i really feel like i've been ripped off.....

just shows if your happy with your insurance company stick with them no matter how much people reccommend others to you.

ive been with them for a couple of years now. had great service no problems, i do know that the 14 day cooling period applys to the insurance company's & the insurance company,s can charge an admin fee £30-£40 but if you use a broker they will & can charge their commision & fees. as

per their terms & condition's so in my eye they haven't done anything wrong.

the other problem you get is that there are hardly any direct insurers who will insure a modified car. sorry mate

I just renewed with HIC who offered me a lower excess, more miles & more modifications & agreed value for £25 less than brentacre.

:D

triggermyson, I called HIC yesterday, interested to find out they are a sister company to Adrian Flux and couldn't quote me as I am currently insured by Flux. Cut down my negotiation options a bit!

I just renewed with HIC who offered me a lower excess, more miles & more modifications & agreed value for £25 less than brentacre.

:D

Tristan?

hi mate that was me you spoke to! Glad i could help! 8)

Martin