Nick_Micouris

how do you bypass the heater matrix?

Hi all,

Been away for some time and now back and have a problem...

My heater matrix has just blown and I really need to be using the car a lot.

Does anyone know how to bypass the matrix and what I need to do to do this?

On another note, I have not got much time to change the matrix at the moment. Dealer told me that the part was £100+vat, the GSF one is much cheaper. Is the quality the same from GSF?

Look for the two pipes going through the bulk head,they have those arsy metal spring clips on em.

You will be fine joining the two together,just need a bit of metal pipe. :)

Neil.

Yeah the pipes are at the top rear of the engine bay mate.

You need a 22mm u-bend copper/plastic pipe and thats it. You can either go to a plumbers merchant and get one made up, or go to B&Q who do a 22mm flexible copeer pipe (pipe repair kit) that fits a treat and can be bent into he right shape easily.

Original clips go back on.

I did mine yesterday in ten minutes.

Thanks so much!! :) Will go and buy the pipe tonight.

By bypassing it, am I just cutting off the internal heating system? Do I need to replace the matrix sharpish or is it not a problem?

your just cutting off your heater but means you dont have warm de-misting fans either just cold air, so this time of year best to get it seen to quickly as makes driving the car more comfortable with a heater and de-misting fan

buy an OEM one.... they're a little more money, but deffo better quality...

You may want to get one from GPC though to save a little money... ;)

I disagree, had a replacement OEM fitted 6 yrs ago and I'm back to square one. They're just ****, like so many other annoying **** things about the Corrado BUT, even all the **** things combined doesn't alter the fact that it is just one of the best ever cars built and not a day goes past that I drive my 'rado and it doesn't make me smile (Owned two and the last one is almost 14yrs with me)

Hey! Thanks for all the posts above, really helped me so far -bypassing the heater matrix as a temp fix but these clips! arghhh - does anyone know an easier way to remove them, they're in such an awkward position and rock solid...

You lovely human being! I was looking at a set of these on eBay but they were soo much more expensive than the set you just sent me. Thanks Dox!...now to glue the tips of my fingers back on

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sealey-remote-action-hose-clip-tool-vs1663-seavs1663/

Having previously ripped a hole in the middle of my palm right at the start of removing a cylinder head rrleasing the clip off the MAF using mole grips I now use one of these

Yeah, these tools are the best ones to use - Wurth do two types, one with the extension cable and one without, and they have a proper ratchet action on them that works, unlike some of the cheaper versions. They're not that expensive, and make life a lot easier.

I bought a set of those off ebay and snapped the little tab off the very first time I used it. Straight in the bin, so watch out for cheapo tools

Here they are - bottom and top are the Wurth hose clamp pliers, the one at the top locks when fully closed to hold the clamp open, the one at the bottom has the cable and ratchet for getting at those tricky ones.

In the middle is the official Hazet VW 798-5 tool, these come in lots of different sizes, but are pricey.

These will save you lots of hassle and pain and lets you reuse the original clamps, thereby avoiding the use of nasty jubilee clips!

Dox they worked a treat! Removed the pipes this morning after a little persuasion. Just need to get a decent bit of pipe now and put it back together. Thanks again!

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/sealey-remote-action-hose-clip-tool-vs1663-seavs1663/

Having previously ripped a hole in the middle of my palm right at the start of removing a cylinder head rrleasing the clip off the MAF using mole grips I now use one of these