Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

New Car Time - My hand has been forced Alfa here I come!!!!!

Which car?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which car?

at the end of the day if you buy an alfa and keep it for 3 years it will be under warranty so if stuff does go wrong it won't cost you a packet!!! and it does look much better than the saab.... saab are like merceds now not quite what they used to be,,,,, poorer build quality etc.....

i know it's not quite as 'cool' but the new skoda octavia vrs looks pretty nice,,, they have slighty rounded it a bit so it's not so harsh to look at and pretty good value for money!

At the end of the day warranty or no warranty thats not an issue - I'm not buying a car here - I'm hiring it for 3 years. I pay a small deposit (3 payments up front!) then a fixed cost every month for 3 years. I have a maximum mileage I can do over that time of 45,000 miles (15K per year!)

In that fixed fee I get the car and it FULLY maintained no matter what goes wrong! It also includes tyres etc etc everything that the car needs (bar fuel!) It even includes Road Tax. It's basically like having a company car but I'm hiring it over the period not the company.

At the end of the 3 years I hand it back. No bubble payment and I don't get the option to keep it.

However that sounds ideal as no matter what goes wrong it gets fixed. But that is not quite the case. If the car is in the garage all the time I have to rely on having a courtesy car or I will have to hire one at my own cost as I can't afford to not get to my clients as at the end of the day they are the ones ultimately paying for it!!!! The only goos thing is that all my clients are in the City Centre of Birmingham and currently I also live in the Centre, but not forever.

So reliability does play a key part!

I must say that I am starting to lean more heavily each day to the Saab. It's a cracking car and it really does look the part. I've had one before (actually another 9-3 Vector 1.9TiD!) and I couldnt fault it. Was very comfortable and a great drive.

But with Andy's help I may well look at an Audi also!

Go for the Alfa, SAAB is a vauxhall in disguise! (same dodgey parts!)

Errrrr - So is the Alfa pretty much!!!!!!! Same engine.

And in all honesty tehy don't have the image but they are pretty good cars nowadays!!!

Alfa has definitely got the looks but... the saabs probably the better car (despite vauxhaul/GM underpinnings etc...)

I voted saab..

Alfa has the carisma/pulls the heart strings, but cuicidle ddepreciation.

Saab is the dynamic quality choice and 320nm, you wont fall asleep!

I voted Saab, but it was close.

go Alfa. The Saab 9-3 I drove last yr was a barge but I admit it had no upgrades at all.

Anyway you shouldn't have a beige interior yet - you're only 30! Black with red all the way!! :)

why ask peoples opinions if you already prefer the saab,,,,, anyone on this page who has said alfa you've shot down!

:?

Errrrrr....

As I said I'm starting to lean towards the Saab as of after the post!

Neither, 350Z I say !!!

Very Happy

Ever Helpful !!

Thanks for that Wendy. I need a Saloon not an instant ban!

Anyway you shouldn't have a beige interior yet - you're only 30! Black with red all the way!!

Actually beige wasn't the right colour to describe it, they call it parchment but it's more like a light tan!

i think saab will be most suitable, I reckon its got to be more roomy if your bussing clients about, they look the part aswell.

Alfa looks very nice, but they aint the biggest car in the world.

Saab is faster and more reliable, what else do you need to know :D

My head says Saab but my heart says Alfa... tough decision but I think looks would win it for me and I'd have the Alfa 8)

Alfa for looks

Alfa for heritage

Alfa for handling (double wishbones and quick rack as standard)

Alfa for charisma

Alfa for cool

Alfa full stop

Saabs are dreary old vauxhalls, mainly driven by boring accountants and funeral directors. Who else puts the ignition key in the feckin centre console when the rest of the world is used to it being on the column.

Alfa for looks

Alfa for heritage

Alfa for charisma

Alfa for cool

Alfa full stop

Saabs are dreary old vauxhalls, mainly driven by boring accountants and funeral directors. Who else puts the ignition key in the feckin centre console when the rest of the world is used to it being on the column.

unfortunately vw do have the key on the centre console now on the Touareg... Weird isn't it,,,, :x

Bit O/T, but I like having a key, much prefer it to an electronic card and starter button, it gives you a physical link to starting the car, not some distant uninvolving button pressing exercise...

Alfa for looks

Alfa for heritage

Alfa for charisma

Alfa for cool

Alfa full stop

In fairness Kev, having driven both the Saab is far from a dreary old Vauxhall, the handling is fairly good, but this is a company car not a fun weekend car. With the Hirsch upgrade though the performance is FAR from dreary!

Looks wise I do think th eSaab with the Aero kit looks excellent. Ok the Alfa does have the edge on looks and charisma, but I think the Saab is far from boring, and although becoming more common they are not exactly a BMW 320D, or a Vectra in terms of every person in a company car has one of them.

I don't think you can fault it and it does win in terms of practicality of the use it is intended for. I think thats why the vote is swinging to the Saab. If it was going to be my only car then I think this would be a whole different conversation and also a completely different choice in car.

And along the lines of "dreary old Saabs" - I don't think you can call THIS dreary

thats a concept car! All manufacturers have cool concepts, but the cars that get produced are all very much within the box!

Look at Alfa's concept cars, then you'll see some real design...

I'd try them both but on the face of it I'd take the Saab because it's faster and the ride might be better to live with every day because it's got smaller wheels.

Well Decision is made.

I'm going with the Saab

Final Spec:

Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 150

Hirsch Performance Upgrade to 175bhp

Aero Body kit and Wheels

Titan Metallic Grey

Full Tan Leather interior

6.5" Touch Screen Sat Nav System

7 Speaker Infotainment Upgrade and Bluetooth Phone System built into Sat Nav screen

Parking Sensors

Electronic Stability Program

It's a Stunning car. Should be here mid to end Jan if all goes well

Just a few final checks with my company and wiht insurance as it's proving a bit of a bugger to insure as it's classed as modified even though it is Saab doing it! It's my missus that is making it expensive as she is only 24. But not a mojar issue!

Thanks for all your input guys!

Nice one. It's a good choice, the last one I drove was a turbo about 4-5 years ago and it was really quick... if a little soft round the corners!

Enjoy!