Sign in to follow this  
dubpolo1

Mk3 golf vr6 vs Rado vr6

Hey just joined, ive just sold my mk2 golf gti and im looking to get a vr6!

Just a few questions regarding the mk3 golf and corrado vr6 because i cant make my mind up which is better.

Im looking to spend around £2500-£3000, obviously the rado is faster but how do they compare on a track, interior, mpg etc? and it seems the golf is fairly cheaper to purchase and running costs...

Any info would be appreciated

With that budget you will get a better MK3 for your money and condition history etc is vital

Think the golf is a bit thirstier and the corrado would definatly have it on the track (if both are standard)

thats true, its more to do with the fact i NEED a vr6 in my life so with the golf being cheaper i could regret it every time i see a corrado.....

The golf VR6 has terrible oversteer,spins up easy on the front,but there is not that much between power,the Corrado is much better in the chassis and puts power down very well even with 300bhp +

Raddo for me as its the styling,saying that a smoothed mk3 looks the nuts !

That green one looks like it's got beige Recaros...

It does, and for that price, providing the engine is tidy then, its a bargain, imo.

Yes, mine too. Boy, VR's really are as cheap as chips at the moment, aren't they? Given that it's already acquiring classic status, now would really seem to be the time to buy in if you're in for the long haul.

The Mk3s are screwed together (interior wise) a lot better than the Corrados and you do get a lot more car (condition wise) for the same money with a Golf. However having owned both I wouldn't go back to a Golf VR6. The Corrado just feels so much more of a car and drives much more like a Sports coupe than a hatchback with a big engine.

The Mk3s are screwed together (interior wise) a lot better than the Corrados and you do get a lot more car (condition wise) for the same money with a Golf. However having owned both I wouldn't go back to a Golf VR6. The Corrado just feels so much more of a car and drives much more like a Sports coupe than a hatchback with a big engine.

Agreed. I've owned both too, and about the only similarity is the engine. The rado is a much better driver than the golf. Although the 2.8 does feel torquier IMO.

Saying that I'm considering swapping back to a golf cos I'm so sick of the complete and utter lack of reliability my rado posseses! :)

I currently own both Corrado and Golf VR6s so can compare them back to back. The Corrado is my fun/weekend/track car, whereas I have the Golf for commuting as I consider a 2800cc V6 in a smallish hatch just about adequate for daily use...

The Golf is completely standard bar lowering springs. The Rado has the whole Schrick VGI/cams/TB/remap shebang with Koni adjustable suspension.

I do reckon the Mk3 is marginally better screwed together; there are no rattles or squeaks, unlike my C, although both cars are the same age. Difficult to compare engines, as my C has 40 bhp more than the Golf. Sufficient to say that my C feels like it has wads more torque and top-end power than my Mk3 (obviously), but in the real-world the Mk3 will still trounce most road-cars on the dual-carriageway anyway. 30 - 70 in-gear times for the Golf are around the same as an E36 BMW 328i so it's not exactly slow. A standard Corrado VR6, incidentally, will outdrag an early 90s BMW M5 over the 30-70 increment...

The Mk3 feels underdamped; it is fine on A-roads, but once on the twisties it tends not to like camber changes and undulating surfaces. The Corrado chassis is fabulous in comparison, I couldn't believe how much better it was when I first drove it. There is no comparison here, I can't emphasise that enough!

The steering ratio feels different, the Corrado turns-in sharper and will tuck-in nicely in corners with a throttle-lift (or go completely sideways if you're abrupt enough). The Mk3 is more benign and neutral initially, tending more towards understeer at the limit. I definately notice the effect of the passive rear-steer geometry on the Corrado after driving the Golf. MPG-wise they are pretty similar, although my Corrado is slightly better despite the engine mods. 28-ish mpg versus 27 or so for the Golf on dual carriageways driven fairly swiftly. I run both cars on SUL fuel. Low 20s if you kick the $hit out of them on a b-road.

As a fun performance car I'd recommend the Corrado over the Mk3 Golf in every area. For what it's worth my old Mk2 GTI 8v was much more fun to drive hard than my Mk3, but not up with the Corrado. If you can't stretch to a Rado VR I would go back and get a nice late-model Mk2 16v rather than a Mk3 VR personally!