Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

What's the worst car you've driven?

My mates a vauxhall freek :pukeleft:

I had to drive his 2ltr 16 v NOVA, I thought it would be a nice fun car. :D

Jesus its like a death trap skips across the road and feels like your doing 100 mph when your actually doing 30mph :pale:

Work colleague a few years ago had an FSO Polonez. Remembered Clarkson driving one and saying it was one of the worst cars ever offered for sale to the general public; I just had to have a go...

The steering wheel was simply somewhere to rest your hands; it didn't actually control where the car went. We ended up having a drag race on a 'private test track' near work. From a standing start to a fixed point 1/3 of a mile or so away the FSO managed 58 mph terminal speed. My Lancia Delta HF Turbo reached 110 mph over the same distance!

Had a 1.0 litre Fiat Cinquecento as a hire car once. Chucked 3 mates on board and went for a refreshing drive in the country. No rev limiter, but when the valves started bouncing it wouldn't rev any higher anyway. Despite having only 5000 miles or so on the clock it proceeded to drop all its coolant for some reason.

The worst for me was my mates mum's Mk1 Renault Clio 1.2 in 'Camp Blue' (seriously, thats what the colour was called!! You cant make it up!). I had to drive it from Cornwall to Dover and back again, t'was awful! Crap driving position, crap steering, crap brakes, crap gearbox and gutless! Yes I was glad to get out of that heap!!

The second worst was another mates girlfriends Renualt 5 which I was repairing. It was pretty much the same as the clio but marginally faster (being a 1.4!).

Tip: Never drive anything french - its depressing!

Mines a Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD, nice and gutsy for what it is, but drives like a pig, steering is super light with absolutely no belief in where you might end up at speed.

ilearnt to drive in a fiat 126 think my dad thought it was amusing. came home from the pub one night to find it on its roof. Best thing that ever happened to it. Dreadful machine.

Has to be an Uno Turbo for me, sure it was quick, but ocean liners turn and stop more effectivly than this thing! scary :shock:

Years ago my mate had a MK2 Uno Turbo and it was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. Loved it.

Mine was about 12 years ago now, it was a Datsun 120Y estate which was another mates car. I'm sure it had a 1000cc engine. Truly awful drive.

Same here. 2005 Vauxhall Astra from Europcar. Awful seats and driving position and ventilation control which are immediately in font of the gear stick so your hand has to do a kind of limbo dance to turn the fan on. The clutch juddered (6K mile car) and it felt like someone had nicked two of the spark plugs it was so slow (it was a 1.6 "Twinport"). A bl00dy awful car!

Well what do you know, I got a 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Twinport from Arnold Clark, hire car and it was absolute PISH!!! No power whatsoever, no feedback, rubbish driving position, crappy brake pedal feel, VERY understeery, I HATED the thing, was SOOOOOO happy to get back in the Corrado!

Back from the dead!

Drove my housemate's C3 the other day. There wasn't one aspect I liked about it. Gutless, brakes too hard, rolls thru corners, A-pillar obscures the view going round corners, clutch is way high, can't see the end of the bonnet...the list could go on.

can't see the end of the bonnet...

I have the same problem with the Rado!

Anyhoo worst car for me was an 08 plate Focus TDI. I swear it must have been broken as it had the worst boost lag I have experienced since my Metro turbo. Pulling away from junctions resulted in either bags of wheelspin or a stall and nothing inbetween. The thing was bloomin dangerous.

Nick

I agree with the Citroen C3 and a Mk1 Nissan Micra...felt like I was turning the QE2 when pulling out of a parking space! (glad to say it wasn't my car)

Hyundai Getz for me..

I had a Leon and put in for a service and was given the Getz as a courtsey car and i can honestly say its the worst car ive ever driven, handling, confort, power, quality etc are words that dont figure in its description. To top it off there was a CD in the player and the track was 'im walking on sunshine'... I know i wasnt...

Nick

Really?

With the C3 you can see the windscreen wipers but nothing beyond. Muy peligroso.

Another Vauxhall for me, there seems to be quite a few on this thread! One of my ex's Mk1 Corsa. No power steering, no power, no style, no handling, awful car, the only good thing about it was the lack of thirst.

My current girlfriends old Ka was awful too. Luckily it got flooded in Sheffield last year and she bought the Corrado instead!

Nick

Really?

With the C3 you can see the windscreen wipers but nothing beyond. Muy peligroso.

Yeah. I am only 5' 9" though and do have my chair set to it's lowest setting. If I raise it up I can see the end of the bonnet but I feel like I'm driving a bus then.

My Mrs has worse problems. She's 4' 11" and even with the seat as far forward and as high up as it'll go she can only just drive it!

Nick

I have two:

- Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v handled like a boat, the seats offered no support at all (the foam was flat and apparently unmoulded), the steering was too light despite a button to make it even lighter (!!) and the road noise was ridiculously loud in the cabin!

- booted Honda Civic 1.4 electric hybrid thing was creaky and noisy due to the amount of plastic tat covering the dash, it had no power AT ALL and the steering wasn't that responsive. The only plus point about the car were the heated seats ... the warm, burny sensation on your ass was actually quite pleasant!

Just thought of another - an ex mate's '68 beetle ... The headlights were crap, the wipers were sloooow, the windscreen was scratched to buggery, it had a short-shifter that barely moved so you didn't know if it was in gear, it was noisy, slow, full of holes that splashed water in your face when raining and the driving position was awful!

I think I've just described most classic Beetles though...

Just thought of another - an ex mate's '68 beetle ... The headlights were crap, the wipers were sloooow, the windscreen was scratched to buggery, it had a short-shifter that barely moved so you didn't know if it was in gear, it was noisy, slow, full of holes that splashed water in your face when raining and the driving position was awful!

I think I've just described most classic Beetles though...

lol, I was going to say Beetle but resisted due to fear of a public backlash! But yeah, what a poo car! Looks the nuts, big history etc but the particular one I drove was definitely the worst car i've driven!

Vauxhall Meriva I had as a hire car....rubbish in town and even worse on the motorway. The turquoise green / blue colour made it look like I was borrowing my mums car. Truly awful.

hi

smart car.............truely truely truely scary!!

gutless,monumental understeering,slow gearchange causing a pitching backwards and forwards, no acceleration onto islands the clutch just slips and slips and slips as the car you tried to beat closes down on your drivers door you appologise and continue your jerky, slow, ponderous travel to oblivion!!

terrible car!

and people buy them.....why?

andy

Lass at work back in about '93 had a Citreon Visa, digital throttle and crap brakes. I only had to drive it round to the back of the hanger and i hated it!!!!! Minging reddy orange too, dashboard and stalks 'design' were vile.

My mums Peugeot 308VTI. Its huge compared to the Corrado, feels like a proper 4x4, handles like a boat, is really really slow, has 5 doors and a panoramic roof and the steering is far to light!

Its a Peugeot...that should explain it all lol

worst car for me had to be a Bently Turbo circa 1982 in chocolate brown.

Used to work for a guy in Surrey who had one, but I don't think it had ever been serviced.

My mates double decker bus drove better, tho it did lack the leather.

Never again

Dic

The worst car I've ever actually driven was an Austin Allegro. You can complain all you like about ratty Sierras, Novas or Astras but trust me BL's finest are in a superleague of badness compared to anything produced since that time.

That said, the worst car I've ever been in was a well-worn Suzuki SJ410. Genuinely scary, especially whenever the steering wheel was anywhere other that dead straight ahead. An absolute death-trap of a car in my opinion.

Father-in-law's Morris Marina automatic. On left hand bends, it preferred to be on the wrong side of the road.

British and epitomised why our car industry went down the pan.