Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboyo

DRILLING THE AIRBOX

I'm contemplating butchering my airbox by drilling it as lots of peeps seem to have done. could anyone tell me:-

1) Where do i drill? (piccies would be cool)

2) How many holes should i drill?

3) Is it worth doing?

I would also fit a K&N filter whilst i was at it. I'm not expecting huge gains obviously, but a bit more responsiveness would be cool and more of a throaty induction noise would be welcome as 1.8 valvers aren't the sweetest sounding motors!!

It will sound good, but if anything, you'll probably lose a bit of edge in performance.

Just fit a K&N filter, and remove the snorkel from the front of the airbox. This will give a really nice sound. You can also route a cold air feed into the airbox.

As said above, best to remove he snorkel and the front of airbox.

I find it easiest to just give it a wack with a hammer from inside the box and it should just pop out

Personally i think my valver sounds gorgeous when the pedal is to the floor

agreed the note change after 4k is lovely and it makes you SOUND like your going fast :lol:

Personally i think my valver sounds gorgeous when the pedal is to the floor

agreed the note change after 4k is lovely and it makes you SOUND like your going fast :lol:

at 6,700 revs in 5th gear my 16v is going fast :twisted:

I totally recommend removing the snorkel, with a gas flowed head on a 2L the difference at the top end is very noticable, I put it back in a few months back and it just killed the car's ability to pull smoothly to the red line (7,200). Not sure if it makes as much difference on a 1.8.

As for drilling the airbox, there's almost as many 16v owners looking for un-butchered air-boxes as there are trying to swiss-cheese good ones :lol:

Top advice as usual chaps, many thanks. I will defo go with the snorkel removal & K&N combo. Must confess i had no knowledge of this mod. So glad i put this thread on :D

I wasn't overly keen on swiss cheesing my box (ooooooh maaaaatron) which is why i bought an excellent unbutchered one off fleabay for £20 just in case the drilling wasn't to my liking.

Thanks all :cheers:

sorry for a bit of a hijack.

Has anyone got a picture of this "snorkel", after looking numerous times at my car and through threads on here i still cant see this bit!

Its at the front of the air box and on the bottom half, if you cant see it, its possibly been removed already and you will be left with a hole

Yeh, if there's a gap between the headlight and airbox, and you can see the hole at the front of the airbox, the snorkel is gone. When present it makes a really snug, airtight fit between light and airbox.

sorry for a bit of a hijack.

Has anyone got a picture of this "snorkel", after looking numerous times at my car and through threads on here i still cant see this bit!

Maybe it's already taken off? :-P

From the plastic panel to the left of the rad (behind the grille), into the front of the airbox. You need to cut a round hole in the plastic panel for the feed to fit into it.

Did this on my old valver, into the side of the airbox using custom made Ali spigot and caravan heating pipe.

Will most likely do it again on my current valver.

Did this on my old valver, into the side of the airbox using custom made Ali spigot and caravan heating pipe.

Will most likely do it again on my current valver.

nice neat job, but can't see the air from there being any colder than the air from around the headlight, unless you've got 1kW bulbs in there.

Would think you'd get more air though, as it has a more direct 'ram' effect, rather than having to get around the light.

Probably only a couple of BHP I would think...

Sorry to raise the dead. I really hate having a drilled box (apart from the sound). I've got plenty of fibre glass for a job repairing some rust on the car so was thinking of using it to cover the drilled holes until I can get a new box. I am a believer in removing the snorkels n running a panel, done this on all my cars. How exactly does the front one pull out of the corrado? Had a go today but no luck? The flap is connected to it... I don't think I want to be removing that too??

Will I lose the flap? I don't want to damage anything to much... Do i hammer the snorkel towards the front of the car or just left and right? Sorry to ask simple questions lol