Sign in to follow this  
MoonlightBlueVR6

Timing Chains too?

Hi

As per my previous post, my car is going into Stealth for a new Headgasket in the next couple of weeks - whilst they're "in there" they said it's sometimes necessary / logical to do the chains. When they do what they need to in order to get to the head gasket, the chains may either fall apart due to age (1992 on 80,000 miles), or look like they've seen better days and it might be adviseable to replace at the same time. The cost of the chains job is about £570 inc (I think that will include a NEW CLUTCH too from what I remember from a conversation with Vince yesterday) if done at the same time or £880 inc if done at a later stage.

(If I did get NEED to get them done at a later stage I would probably get them done at Stealth so a special trip down there from Manchester, add another £nn inconvenience factor for day off work or possibly train etc)

For info I think I'll be doing 5,000 - 7,500 a year.

Would appreciate your thoughts on whether:

a) I should just get them done at the same time regardless

b) This would be overkill if a visual check of the chains shows they're still reasonable

FYI I imagine I will be keeping the car for the forseeable future (ie 2 years at least).

So.......what do you think?

Thanks

Ge them done.

People are misconceived into thinking no noise from the chain gear means they're OK, that's not the case as the majority of the time, the top tensioner pad is fecked by 80K, which is why VW redesigned it.

When I was advised (by c*nting VW) that my Head Gasket had gone, I spoke to Vince, and he pretty much refused to do it without doing the Chains, as the mileage (130,000) meant they would need doing soon, and he didn't wanna be the last one to work on the car if they did go.

Fair play, I completely understood, so agreed. Turned out VW were a little off the mark (:roll:), but if it had of needed a HG, then I would have had the chains done too.

will definately save you some cash in the long run

Yep, he will always advise the chains to be done because of his experience, not for profiteering. So if a customer ignores the advisory and just gets the head done (or whatever) to save a few bob, guess who gets the blame 6 months down the line when the original chain gear fails, cams skip teeth and valves greet pistons? I certainly wouldn't want to be the last person to have worked on it either :lol:

When I was advised (by c*nting VW) that my Head Gasket had gone

What turned out to be the problem then?

Yep, he will always advise the chains to be done

He said he wouldn't say definitely one way or the other until he'd seen the chains, but I needed to be prepared to spend the extra if required. I asked if it was his car and he said 'yes'. So between you guys with about 23,000 posts between you and Vince with his expertise, I'll go with your recommendations!!

After seeing Kev's at 90k then again at 10k miles later I'd say get them done.

If you plan to keep the car then see it as an investment, only alternative is to fit a new exchange engine from VW

Hmm, strange I got quoted £750 for the Clutch and Chains, can't remember if that was inc vat or not, by Vince just recently.............

Sounds reasonable to me. I paid a lot more although with a lot of other work too. My tensioners looked fine at 90k so I was a bit miffed at the time but at least I have peace of mind now...

£450 for fitting of clutch, flywheel, timing chains/tensioners, new thermostat, coilovers and 4 wheel alignment :lol:

Beat that!!

The parts cost considerably more though... :oops:

£620 for the chains/flywheel/clutch etc.... (thats with a 10% discount)

Mate thats expensive isn't it???? I've got a chap in Stoke that will do the chains and replace all the bits n bobs including a sach racing clutch for £500. Also do the head for another £200 iirc....

Couple of people had their Golf Vr6's done and are very happy with the service...

Hmm.. this is the list of parts that I bought (prices/part numbers may have changed since then)

I also bought new brake disks, pads, abs rings, bearings, top mounts which aren't on this list, but it all adds up to £623

Prices below are exlcuding VAT, and it totals to just over £400 I think

TIMING CHAINS

(lower chain)

1 x lower timing chain - simplex 021 109 465B £30.26

1 x lower timing chain tensioner 021 109 467 £21.17

2 x bolts, lower timing chain tensioner N905 350 01 £0.14

1 x lower timing chain guide rail 021 109 469 £2.93

1 x lower pin 021 109 471 £1.38

(upper chain)

1 x upper timing chain - duplex 021 109 503A £60.98

1 x upper pin 021 109 511 £9.08

1 x Bolt, tensioner for Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 507B £23.81

1 x Tensioner, Golf Mk4 top pad 021 109 509E £7.14

1 x mid pin 021 109 515A £5.78

1 x upper timing chain guide rail 021 109 513 £7.89

1 x hex bolt N010 272 4 £0.26

1 x hex bolt N010 352 10 £0.64

CLUTCH

Clutch clutch kit; p/plate, f/plate, release bearing 021 198 141AX £120.00

6 x 12 point head bolt N101 010 01 £0.32 each

1 x Guide sleeve 02A 141 180A £8.07

1 x Oil seal 085 311 113 £12.10

1 x Round seal N903 543 01 £1.86

3 x spline socket head bolts N903 554 04 £0.25 each

1 x clutch release arm 02J 141 719B £13.76

1 x Spring, clutch release arm retaining 012 141 741 £0.38

1 x Ball Pin, clutch release arm pivot pin 02A 141 777 £2.38

1 x Grease for clutch plate G 000 100 £4.96

FLYWHEEL

1 x Flywheel 021 105 269BX £73.95

10 x flywheel fixing bolts N905 398 01 £0.90 each

£450 for fitting of clutch, flywheel, timing chains/tensioners, new thermostat, coilovers and 4 wheel alignment :lol:

Beat that!!

Sure, I have did the whole lot. Chains, clutch and Head Gasket for around £500. But then again I do all my own work.

These are the parts I bought earlier this year for doing pretty much the same job, I did however do the work myself and that's normally the biggest saving of all!

Hmm, strange I got quoted £750 for the Clutch and Chains, can't remember if that was inc vat or not, by Vince just recently.............

Yes, 750 + VAT = 881 inc if done as a seperate job from the head gasket. Same as me then. I will get it > £300 cheaper WHEN I get it done at the same time however due to them saving so much labour.

The quote for both together inc VAT is 1400 from Stealth currently.

Mate thats expensive isn't it???? I've got a chap in Stoke that will do the chains and replace all the bits n bobs including a sach racing clutch for £500. Also do the head for another £200 iirc....

Hmmmm.... So he's doing the chains for less £100 then, because Sachs Racing clutches are about £450 for a basic spec.

So how can he make any profit doing heads for £200 and chains for £100?

Labour is basically free.

I'm calling BS on those prices, sorry.

Yes, 750 + VAT = 881 inc if done as a seperate job from the head gasket. Same as me then. I will get it > £300 cheaper WHEN I get it done at the same time however due to them saving so much labour.

The quote for both together inc VAT is 1400 from Stealth currently.

Is the head work just a gasket change or a full rebuild?