Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Top Gear!

The best yet. Loved every second. The look on the Hamster's face when the rocket went wrong was wonderful. As was Clarkson's crack about the centre of the Earth and lawnmowers and his work with the chainsaw!

Absolutely brilliant!

Meh. More cars please as we've just had an episode of c0cking about.

I want to see the Level Crossing feature though....

The chainsaw bit made me almost piss myself :lol:

Loved the rocket, although was completely pointless and a waste of no doubt a LOT of money, but was funny so who cares :lol:

Getting progressively more disappointed with TG, its a car show ffs, not a science program. That's what Brainiac is for. Where are all the car reviews? One in two weeks is weak. Not happy that they've now started to plug movies now as well. (OK so it was Hot Fuzz, but Hugh Grant's movie was p*ss poor and neither have anything to do with cars)

They've been entertaining, but nothing to do with new cars. Its become all about the stunts and less about new cars.

I think their viewer base are not all mad car fanatics like we are and they try to provide for that - personally I like the stunts - I'd hate to see it revert back to the way it used to be. Since Hammond's crash it's like they are trying to show that the crash will not stop them doing crazy stunts.

porsche feature was ok as was the brabus.

case in point of dumbing down the how (for petrolheads anyway) - what the hell is "torx" didnt know it was a word never mind an adjective!!!

case in point of dumbing down the how (for petrolheads anyway) - what the hell is "torx" didnt know it was a word never mind an adjective!!!

I just thought it was a thicker/quicker way of saying 'foot pounds of torque' :lol:

Same as usual, it's now like watching an episode of 'friends' :pukeleft: - those three public school boys make me want to rip my own eyes out.

Such a shame :(

I think the massive:shock: amount of cash they are clearly making from selling it around the world has caused someone (be it clarkson, his mate the producer, or higher ranks in the bbc) to decide the budget should now be scaled up in a similar fashion.

As you know, if you're responsible for a budget, you only get points for spending all of it, not a penny more or less. Clearly this stuff is the only way they can get it spent. I'm not saying its not entertaining but, as has been said, we thought it was a car show rather than an entertainment program for anyone, whether they like cars or not.

As an example, how many people's Mums/Sisters with no interest in cars tune in to watch? I know mine do.. :?:

I suppose if we just agree that this is what its become and watch 5th Gear (when its on) for actual reviews, then that can be that. Personally though I do think it would have been nice if they kept a bit more of a balance... :roll:

I watch top gear to be entertained and thats what it is, great entertainment.

If people really think an hour long car review program would be better, i suggest you watch some of the car review programs from the US, where they just reel off a list of facts about the car while trying to see how many suitcases they can fit in the back of it, basically what top gear used to be 15 years ago, all VERY tedious and dull, and their viewing figres reflect that.

Even if you watch the old 80's review of the corrado with tiff or any of the episodes around that time they just show how cheesy and stiff the format used to be,

even though it was only half an hour long some episodes where still boring, I still watched top gear religiously but only because i have an interest in cars.

Now they seemed to have combined three of my favourite programs Top Gear, Braniac and scrapheap challenge i personally think it has improved it,

who really cares how many MPG the latest piece of crap peugeot does or how many suitcases you can fit in the new volvo estate?

if you want that sort of information there is a wonderfull new invention called the "INTERNET" where nerds who want to know the exact wheelbase of a ford KA.ck, or how many cubic feet per minute the interior fan heater on the new citroen can blow can spend as much time as they want.

if you dont like what top gear has become then its clearly not being made for you.

i also cant stand it when people loose interest in something like top gear when they are just trying to broaden its appeal they accuse the program makers of "dumbing it down" as if they are now too intelligent to watch it, people like that are so far up their own arses IMO, just enjoy it for what it is ....................ENTERTAINMENT.

I agree with coolrado. At the end of the day, there are only so many good cars being released at any time. I for one couldn't give a monkeys about EVERY single car being released.

As has been said, try and get hold of a copy of old late 80's episodes of Top Gear. Its dreadful. One episode I was watching had Chris Goffey reviewing the latest Fiat Croma.. there he is in his leather jacket and scarf wittering on about its boring little engine, etc - I could only stand about 2 minutes before giving up.

I'd much rather watch them bash around in some high performance mercs and blow up some rockets.

And wasn't that Brabus something else? There is just something so moody and fierce about a high performance Merc - that was like deaths own personal car!!

i love watching stuff like that rocket feature, because i cant help thinking to myself how i would have done certain things differently, like the release mechanism, why didnt they just have an upward facing hook with no catch mechanism, then when they wanted to release the robin just deploy a parachute on the main booster so it slowed that down quickly and let the robin continue due to momentum.

The only gripe i have with TG is sometimes when i would rather hear the sound of the car (especially things like that merc) they play some w@nky power ballad over the top of it or an annoying sound effect of a big cat growling like they did with the merc and bowler wild cat, as if the real thing wasnt good enough :lol:

oh and they should have used a bug instead of a robin as they where lighter and pointier :lol:

I enjoyed it.

It did stop being a proper car review program a while ago. Most of us will never be able to own most of the things they drive in their these days; but it is good to see them in motion and being thrapped around.

It is good entertainment and nothing else, 5th Gear tries to hard in my opinion and as such is rubbish.

how many people's Mums/Sisters with no interest in cars tune in to watch? I know mine do.. :?:

mrsb never used to want to watch it, and now she does! Silly fast car reviews and a load of entertainment chucked in for good measure. I love it. It's popular for what it is not what it used to be.

how many people's Mums/Sisters with no interest in cars tune in to watch? I know mine do.. :?:

mrsb never used to want to watch it, and now she does! Silly fast car reviews and a load of entertainment chucked in for good measure. I love it. It's popular for what it is not what it used to be.

Yeah my mum never used to watch it but she watches it now purely for entertainment reasons. Granted she will make a cuppa or carry on with ironing etc when they are thrashing a car around the track but she likes the 'cocking' about parts.

I just love it all, like has been said there are still car reviews but it also has the added entertainment! Plus there cant be cars out all the time to review, particularly cars we want to see tested, so in between time we get to enjoy them being idiots :lol:

Top Gear is an entertainment show,it caters for people who like cars and want to be entertained.

If you want to sit for an hour watching road tests it`s not for you.How boring would it be if all you got was road test after road test and what would you want tested :?:

Group tests of family cars ,4x4,superminis,executive cars supercars god the list could go on and on.People would tune in at the beginning realise it was about best tow cars and switch off :!:

I think Top Gear has a happy medium and is getting better and better.

As they say "You can please some of the people some of the time" :)

Is it just me or are the studio audiences getting bigger and bigger(and I don`t mean fat :!: :!: )

I watch top gear to be entertained and thats what it is, great entertainment.

If people really think an hour long car review program would be better, i suggest you watch some of the car review programs from the US, where they just reel off a list of facts about the car while trying to see how many suitcases they can fit in the back of it, basically what top gear used to be 15 years ago, all VERY tedious and dull, and their viewing figres reflect that.

Even if you watch the old 80's review of the corrado with tiff or any of the episodes around that time they just show how cheesy and stiff the format used to be

Totally agreed with that and yep, the old 80s TG reviews were dull as heck. Very monotone and zero emotion.

It's no surprise TG is watched primarily for the whacky trio of presenters and they were very well chosen. They are spot on together and are genuinely funny imo.... they're just over grown teenages having a laugh and there's nothing wrong with that, they get something out of it, and we get something out of it. If you don't like it, turn over and watch Antiques road show or something, or Lewis!