Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Dodgy Fuel!

How does the sensor get burn out. are the zorst gases that hot from this fuel? I thought is the sensor died the engine goes into "limp" mode, so the car will still run? whats everyones thoughts??

I've always avoided Tesco's for fuel (with the exception of occasionally sticking some of their super unleaded in when I couldn't get to BP) but currently have a tank full of V-Power! I bet the branded name petrol companies are laughing their socks off!

The cheaper fuels have extra ethanol added to them to increase the burn. As a result the exhaust gasses are hotter and can screw up the sensors inside the exhaust.

Just got this off the BBC site

An AA source has told the BBC traces of silicon, which should not be in unleaded petrol, have been found in tests carried out by the petroleum industry.

It is thought silicon may have found its way into a batch of petrol in transit by ship into the UK or in storage containers.

Chris Hunt from the UK Petroleum Industry Association (UKPIA) said: "We have yet to check samples of fuel taken from motorists' vehicles that have suffered problems."

and add this to the equation

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) said motorists affected by contaminated petrol should be able to claim if they have comprehensive cover.
I bet they do so you loose your NCD or so they can put your premium next year

I've seen sensors right by glowing red hot turbos and they work fine,they are supposed to take allot of heat! Think it will be means of changing the fuel and giving it good run.

Ive got Tesco 99Ron in mine at the moment, filled up on Tuesday I think, but its running fine. Fingers crossed!!!

All my 3 babies are locked away in garages with BP's Ultimate and a fuel stabiliser thrown in to get through the winter months :-) Hopefully that fuel hasn't made its way to branded pumps yet, and never will.

Tempest

I always use V-Power and accept no substitutes, even if it means going way into the red to find a Shell.

The problem is clearly chemical contamination, rather more akin to oil on the MAF than overheating or anything like that.

Silicon has been mentioned, of course.

THE FOLLOWING MAY BE WORTH KNOWING, GUYS.

A Prof. or engineer on BBC radio Scotland this morning said that mechanics/technicians were always advised to be careful with the use of silicon lubricant sprays when working under the bonnet.

Had not heard this before - I have these sprays but have probably never let it anywhere near where it could be drawn into engine. I tend to use it in door locks, etc.

Ive got Tesco 99Ron in mine at the moment, filled up on Tuesday I think, but its running fine. Fingers crossed!!!

I always use Tesco 99 octane in my valver, and will continue to. After all I've no lambda sensor to worry about...

Silicon has been mentioned, of course.

THE FOLLOWING MAY BE WORTH KNOWING, GUYS.

A Prof. or engineer on BBC radio Scotland this morning said that mechanics/technicians were always advised to be careful with the use of silicon lubricant sprays when working under the bonnet.

Had not heard this before - I have these sprays but have probably never let it anywhere near where it could be drawn into engine. I tend to use it in door locks, etc.

spoke to my dad this evening, they've had a bunch of cars (in some cases on the back of a recovery truck) into their place in Milton Keynes this week, seems like the problem is pretty massive. From their experience this week it's mainly small engined Pugs, renaults and vauxhalls and the odd merc. Apparently the nearby renault dealer sold 40 lambda probes today alone! All the local dealers have dead cars on their forecourts waiting for parts.

Strangely they've not had any VW's at all.

I didn't realise how sensitive the sensors are to silicon, apparently it's to be avoided at all costs anywhere it could get into the engine, e.g. manifold gaskets. Some cars are way more costly to fix too as they have multiple sensors, apparently one merc has set back a customer 1200 quid including all the fuel system drain etc... :shock:

the common temp for for a oxygen /lambda sensor is around 190 c at the front and the exit temp can be as high as 250c and silicon/bullshit spray is only dodgy if you spray it in to the air intake when running also deisels really dont like it , and talking of exhaust temps with the new grand vitara desiel if you have to carry out what is called a forced regeneration of a particulate filter the exhaust temp will rise to 750c to burn off the soot in the filter . so far this week ive drained out around 200litres of fuel from panicing customers and we have distrbuted it around the workshop and no ones had any problems yet also i hear that VWs and Fords havent been affected so we dont realy need to worry :D

the problem is with silicon the element, rather than silicone from sprays, sealants and boobs...... although they contain an amount of silicon its in a different chemical form...

i think they use silicon as an antofoaming agent for diesel, which is how the tank cock-up originally happened....

still very weird ford and VW unaffected...

pb