marcus

VR6 Baffled sump?

Christ, we used to have some lovely bust ups with Paul on here :lol: He's a proper "engineer" though. Not scared to get the welding torch and angle grinder out. :salute:

Cheeseburger those rims in your avatar look superb. Are they the fabled 16" speedies?

Yes indeed Sir Hasan, the very ones :wink:.

That's just an old pic I found on my PC last night, and sadly aren't my current wheels. They would be if they cleared the brakes though!

Back to baffled sumps, anyone ever heard of or used accusump?

Basically its an oil reservoir thats fitted to the oil system, either via the filter or on one of the lines of the oil cooler. When theres an oil surge or supply problem to the pump the oil from the accusump is released meaning no oil starvation.

Sounds interesting..

On 4/24/2008 at 4:33 PM, 12 DEG BEN said:

021 103 601l

Is this the right part number for a cast sump?  Also, is it a direct fit or any other mods needed?  Trying to identify the leak source in my car..

Doesn't help that i painted the block black either...

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

Without reading back, isn't the MK4 sump shallower meaning you'll need the MK4 pickup too...

I was quite entertained by the thread TBH

R32 is multi baffled and shallow

4Mo is baffled to a lesser degree and standard height

Part Number: 021103601L

Description: 24V VR6 baffled sump  

I have this sump fitted Hasan. It bolts straight on and your original dip stick and oil pump remain the same. It’s virtually the same size as the tin pressed job you are removing but is cast ally with baffling 

20 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Without reading back, isn't the MK4 sump shallower meaning you'll need the MK4 pickup too...

I'm almost 100% sure that the mk4 R32 is the same height as the VR6, it's the mk5 & Audi that are shallower... 

1 hour ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Part Number: 021103601L

Description: 24V VR6 baffled sump  

I have this sump fitted Hasan. It bolts straight on and your original dip stick and oil pump remain the same. It’s virtually the same size as the tin pressed job you are removing but is cast ally with baffling 

Many thanks Shaun.  Did you need to get the oil conditioner sensor too or was the sump completely sealed?  

Also, did you use the original sump gasket or just some sealant?

Edited by fla

No worries,

Vince put it on when I had the turbo stuff done. It’s sealed on with a sealant he uses though. Not sure about sensor either although I think he welded a boss on for the oil return off of the turbo. There was a group buy many moons ago, a few of us bought them off of Pat mycrotch or similar. 

Photos have gone though 

MK5 R32 is the best sump for ground clearance, but you need the oil pump to go with it unfortunately.  Was approx a £350 upgrade for both back in 2007ish when I did it.  God knows how much it is now......but there's always ebay.  The sump sealant you need is made by Dirko and available online pretty cheap.  Don't pay VW £33 for the same stuff!

I saw no benefit in fitting the 2.8 4 Motion sump as it's no shallower and isn't baffled.  I suppose the only advantage is it seals better than the steel sump being a machined surface, and aluminium also sheds heat faster than steel.

On 4/22/2008 at 4:36 PM, Kevin Bacon said:

... here's the low down:-

R32 baffled sump - 022 103 601R - £89

R32 oil pump - 022 115 105E - £103

R32 pump-to-block pipe - 021 115 203 - £18

Sump sealant - D176 404 A2 - £8

You need the R32 pump due to the sump being shallower, and it's been redesigned accordingly.

... In terms of dipstick arrangements, the R32 one is obviously calibrated for the sump, but it won't work on the 12V. I use the 4 motion dipstick and dipstick tube as it bolts to the filter housing, so is very rigidly mounted. The R32 dipstick is moved 2" toward the bell housing to clear the intake manifold, so to that effect, you also need to drill a hole in the plastic windage tray in the sump to clear your dipstick, which is in the 12V's position. Sounds quite involved but it's not. It's p1ss easy and you'll understand all of it when the parts are in your hands...

Just found my sump needs replacing, so considering the R32 sump - not because I go through corners fast - but because we have sleeping policemen on my road which knacker the sump every time - a shallower one may save me grief. My car isn't lowered.

For completeness, these seem to be the part numbers for the dipstick and tube assembly - from my research. Please could someone confirm these numbers so that I don't lead anybody astray? There are four bits, the dipstick, the tube, the o-ring that fits between the dipstick and the tube at the top, and the o-ring between the tube and engine block. 

• Dipstick itself: 022 115 607 D
  • Top o-ring: 034 115 625 B
  • Dipstick tube: 022 115 629 B
  • Bottom o ring: N  90067202

When fitting the replacement pump, one needs to be watchful for two parts from the old ABV pump to block pipe (a crush washer that sits on the block, and an o-ring). The crush washer must be retained when refitting, the O-ring must be replaced -- part number  021 115 444 B).

Kevin refers to drilling a hole in the windage tray.. Anybody done that? Got photos?

Many thanks

Edited by Bruno