Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

I need it done by September to take to a wedding! Lol. I'm looking forward to investigating the RARB too...

Hmmm, I wonder whose that is :D

Got any pics of the attention you've been giving the body? :camp:

I need it done by September to take to a wedding! Lol. I'm looking forward to investigating the RARB too...

Hmmmm... Well it's not my wedding. I asked him again and he said no. :( Damn Airwolf! :bad-words:

Good to see the progress continues. :salute: Maybe I need some sort of approaching deadline to spur me on with mine....

I bet you've been looking forward to doing the body work!?? :)

Lol. Not in the slightest, but I'm actually quite happy now I've started. Just need to go slow and steady and it might end up alright.... :tongue:

Great work Tom. You make me feel very guilty as all my efforts have gone into the Golf over the past couple of months and the Corrado had been left to gather dust :nono:

You should come and see it at the moment, it's not had a proper wash apart from the bay and the arches, looks a right dogs dinner with various bits of dirt and other bits masked up. I've just cleaned up any areas I'm spraying with thinners.

Got any pics of the attention you've been giving the body? :camp:

Some bloke I met off the internet.... ;) Just about to upload pics. :)

Hmmmm... Well it's not my wedding. I asked him again and he said no. :( Damn Airwolf! :bad-words:

Good to see the progress continues. :salute: Maybe I need some sort of approaching deadline to spur me on with mine....

I do love Airwolf. How about BVF? If it's not done by then, I won't chase you around the campsite naked....

Some pics from the hour or two I spent today, actually very pleased so far.... Probably being over confident though...

I'm at various stages with different parts, everything was attacked with the grinder and wire wheel, the engine bay won't be filled, just primed and top coated, the leading edges of the wings were etch primed, filled, sanded and filler primed today, the passenger wing was just etch primed, filled and etch primed again as I went back to the metal in a few places and the stone guard will hide the slight transition visible in the pic. The rear arch has been etch primed and a couple of layers of filler added, need to put a bit more in still... The tail gate and rear panel is just etch primed. Will fill them this week...

Oh, and yes I know there is overspray on areas I've not cleaned etc, but meh... :tongue:

if/wen u turn the body work around you'll get your scouts badge of honour.

Although i'm not sure you'd be allowed any where near scouts to receive it.

:)

I do love Airwolf. How about BVF? If it's not done by then, I won't chase you around the campsite naked....

Not gonna make BVF dude. It's Lucy's Grandfather's funeral that weekend. :( :( :(

But thanks for the mental image I'm bound to get during the service now! :lol:

Can you buy paint direct from VW in a rattle can? I used to use a company called Border Automotive in Shrewsbury for paint and they'd put it in a rattle can for you if required. Surely there must be somewhere like that in Winchester?

Yeah, I've got genuine paint too, it's just 7000000 times more expensive, hence me throwing Halfarts paint at it, and planning to topcoat it with genuine stuff, hopefully it'll be alright. Found out that the rest of the bodywork does come up better with t cut, so will definitely try going over it with G3 or G10.

Today I mostly continued fiddling with the arch, and have it nearly right, just a tiny depression to fill and it will be fine! Nearly sorted the boot lid too. I rubbed down a few more areas, removed paint and rust from the other major spots I've not touched yet so that they can settle down and dry out a bit.

Managed to put a couple of layers of paint on the wings and passenger wheel arch, and while I'm happy with the finish, the colour is wrong, nevermind...

The weather has been on and off today, so I decided to stop messing around with bodywork while there was moisture in the air, and cleaned the gearbox. Spent quite a lot of time with Jizer and a wheel brush (might be looking for a new one now! :lol: ) and finished it off with half a can of brake cleaner and the air line, hopefully the seals didn't get too much abuse, and I'm pleased with how it's come out. Not perfect, but the law of diminishing returns has kicked in now.

Need to remove the driveshafts from the old hubs and nip them up in the new ones, as well as cleaning the engine and painting the block. Think I'll be doing a fair bit of this tomorrow as the showery weather is supposed to continue :(

I'll also try to get some pictures...

Got up late today. Still exhausted from the weekend. Got the engine and brackets cleaned up today, decided that I won't paint all of the block, just some patches that are rough, the original paint is looking too good, and I can't be arsed to mask everything up etc.

Here's the pics...

It is slowly getting closer to being a car again, but really frustrating as I still can't quite afford the bits I need to finish it off. Would love to have the engine and box bolted together this week, but I can't quite stretch to the last few bits. It's actually miles off what I intended, but I have lost interest, and want a working car. :lol:

Well I know I would rather have a workin car that took some time to get nice, rather than a few mint pieces of a Corrado stuck in my barn for years on end :grin:

Think you are defo doing the right thing getting it back together and running. Enthusiasm should flood back then and you can do a bit at a time bringing it up to scratch 8)

Well I know I would rather have a workin car that took some time to get nice, rather than a few mint pieces of a Corrado stuck in my barn for years on end :grin:

Think you are defo doing the right thing getting it back together and running. Enthusiasm should flood back then and you can do a bit at a time bringing it up to scratch 8)

yeah definitely.

You can add gloss later as you see fit.Nice to see it coming forward.

yeah definitely.

You can add gloss later as you see fit.Nice to see it coming forward.

Well it's been off the road over 18 months now, did very little to it for ages, spent a bit of time last year fitting a few bits and sorting the sound deadening. Didn't want to start taking it apart too much as I might struggle to remember what goes where when I rebuild, already outside of my comfort zone with the ancilliarys and lower manifold off. Also need injectors sorting now. Another £100 I don't have this month. :( Lower inlet manifold had corroded around the injectors, been clearing it up with wet and dry wrapped round a screwdriver, but it's a pain in the arse, little bit worried about how much pressure I put on the injector rail trying to pull the lot off. Oops.....

Need to get the tyres off the rims tomorrow...

It's actually miles off what I intended

think even the guys with the most sorted cars on here think that, corrados are like wifes imo, there's always something extra needed :D

good progress btw :salute:

think even the guys with the most sorted cars on here think that, corrados are like wifes imo, there's always something extra needed :D

good progress btw :salute:

:lol:

Cheers mate. Not doing things as quickly as I would like to. :( Bloody damp weather is holding up spraying.... Anyway. Got more of the engine cleaned up and finished the alternator bracket and lower inlet manifold off, then ran the wheels into ATS to get the tyres taken off and started stripping them. Bored of the wheels already! :?

Anyway. Heres some more crap pictures... :tongue:

er, what have you covered that wheel in??? :gag:

:wink:

:lol: The discarded latex laying next to the wheel looks ominous....

er, what have you covered that wheel in??? :gag:

:wink:

A big sticky mess....

Liked the wheels! :( Gonna go back to silver?

Nope.... :)

Probably anthracite, or Matt BBQ paint. The finish on them was crap and they didn't seal, so I decided to start again...

The previous previous owner had just splashed a bit of paint over the top of already tired wheels, but the looks of things.

Ah, don't blame ya! The ones I did were Rover Gunmetal from Halfords- just the ticket imho!

I might just buy a can of that and try it out... I think one wheel is going to end up with several different coloured layers on it... :D

Im pretty sure thats the colour I used as well once. Would look good against the white, just didnt like them with the green.