Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

Good to see you have removed that silly thing from the back of the VR, ill give you a shout about popping down here for some car tinkering, most evenings this week are good for me..

Would be an excuse to pop round to shire of cambs....

I did have one but can't find it, think i remember where it went though.

Goldie It looks odd without it now, with only a standard towbar. Didn't want to come off though, I had to abuse the 3/4drive set and ended up twisting the 24mm bolt off!

Would be an excuse to pop round to shire of cambs....

I did have one but can't find it, think i remember where it went though.

so when you coming up to pick up this part, hey? :D

Doubt it'll be this weekend tbh :)

Probably when I get the valver on the road, if that's ok? Would be nice to stretch its legs a bit...

So, when is this gonna be back on the road then dude?

Well, refitted the dizzy, wacked a battery back on it and she started up straight away, took it for a quick blast up the "private runway"

to blow the cobwebs out, and I really miss it.... Must work to get the few niggles sorted now.

Will get some new pics of the pair soon.

She sounded and looked bloody lovely mate! Nice to see the old girl back on the road :lol:

Now if you in the market I happen to have a complete 50mm inlet and a 4 branch longlife exhaust

that you know you want!! ;-) unless of course you really want that turbo kit? lol

Cheers for helping with the bushes today mate much appreciated as always!

You looked chuffed to have it out for a run today, you look very at home in the Valver..

Big thanks for the help on the Golf today, well chuffed with it, 5 rados together, i felt like the odd one out...

Just taken delivery of a few shiney things for the vr...

Got a water pump, new aux belt gruven parts tensioner pulley, crack pipe and rad neck ready to go on...

Spose I ught to wack a moderate update in.

The VR died after a hard (for it) winter, something has broken up in the timing chain cover and I've not got the money to do anything with it, so, it's playing a waiting game, parked up in my parent's yard, looking sad under a hedge. I've slowly started to collect bits, and ideas for it, and hopefully, by the end of the summer, I'll have amassed enough money to begin the rebuild. Without going into too much depth, I hope to have essentially an as new VR6, which shouldn't need any new parts etc for a couple of years.

In the mean time, I had to rather quickly get the 16v out, refit all the bits I'd been fiddling with, including the beiged throttle body and the repainted rad cowling and get her ready for the MOT, new rear topmounts were needed, along with new rear disks, bearings, rear caliper, and ARB droplinks. I took the opportunitly to fit the rear goodridges that I had knocking around (almost setting fire to myself in the process).

She passed the MOT and has behaved very well since, with front topmounts and a rad fan motor on the shopping list. Already collected and hopefully being fitted prior to the stealth RR day, is a 4 branch manifold (cheers DanVW) and a rear strut brace is jus about in the post :) (cheers to everyone involved in the group buy thread, Bill, Karl, and Adz.)

Sadly due to finiancial constraints and a strange feeling at lent, I've promised myself not to actually buy any car parts for 40 days. this has gone reasonably well, surprisingly.

Finally washed the 16v this weekend, once yesterday, and again today. The first time since the summer :oops:

here's some pics...

I used to have a washed valver.... then it went to the farm my work is based at... and now it's muddy, covered in brick dust and the latest addition is straw.?.?.?

Looking good Toad, sorry to hear about the VR. But I'm sure when funds allow you'll sort it :)

Cheers Dave... Doesn't take long for the cack to build up on them does it? I find straw and leaves like to sit between the bonnet and the scuttle tray on the front.

The VR breaking down was only an issue while the 16v was un-MOTed, I always knew it would need a lot of work, I just needed it to last for 2 weeks longer than it did. Hehe.

Here's some more pics from the sunset...

Looks good Toadster.

Despite the fact my blue pearl effect valver is sat in my garage I do really miss looking at it when its all clean and the sun is making the pearlescent effect really work.

Cheers guys. :) Quite like the way the golf ball dent is reflected in the bonnet in the top pic...

Yan- I'd forgotten just how nice the colour is till yesterday, makes me really quite annoyed when I look at the miriad of stone chips in the bonnet though.

Good to see the old girl today Tom..

Sack the VR off, spend the money on the Valver = 2.0 turbo... :)

Cant wait to hear her roar with that 4 branch on :evil: Looking good mate glad she is back on the road! :D

I wanna stroke it, it's so pretty!

I doubt you will, but don't rush the VR restoration. I can get so impatient with stuff like this, and end up kicking myself, hence I want to do Ron proud.

He's my car (Ron Burgundy, geddit?) not my lover. :camp:

I wanna stroke it, it's so pretty!

I doubt you will, but don't rush the VR restoration. I can get so impatient with stuff like this, and end up kicking myself, hence I want to do Ron proud.

He's my car (Ron Burgundy, geddit?) not my lover. :camp:

Whamey!

'I dont know if you noticed but I did over a thousand..'

ROFL!!!

I won't rush the VR, mostly as I can't afford bits! Lol.

Going to start on parts that don't matter, like sorting the interior and body, rather than engine and MOT type items, otherwise I'll get it running and leave it looking like a shed...

Going to start the brakes in the very near future, got 288s ready to rebuild, and I'll do the rear calipers at the same time. The fronts will come off and get sold to a certain DBP valver driver ;). Luckily the yard is flat, so it won't escape without any brakes on the car... then I'll start to look at the rear axle, bodywork, etc.

got some newer injectors, a working abs ECU and some magnecors in my stores now...

ROFL!!!

I won't rush the VR, mostly as I can't afford bits! Lol.

Going to start on parts that don't matter, like sorting the interior and body, rather than engine and MOT type items, otherwise I'll get it running and leave it looking like a shed...

Going to start the brakes in the very near future, got 288s ready to rebuild, and I'll do the rear calipers at the same time. The fronts will come off and get sold to a certain DBP valver driver ;). Luckily the yard is flat, so it won't escape without any brakes on the car... then I'll start to look at the rear axle, bodywork, etc.

got some newer injectors, a working abs ECU and some magnecors in my stores now...

Awesome! That DBP driver is a lucky guy :salute:

I'm tempted to pick up some new injectors also, but at £20ish quid a pop, it's not really a "on the offchance" kind of part to just swap out!