Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

Mate, I don't think it needs cutting back at all. It just needs a wash :nuts:

Nah, the surface of the paint is nasty. Scratch X doesn't touch it. :(

Cleaned and painted the brake calipers and carriers today. Do seem to have consumed a fair volume of brake dust during the cleaning though :(

Just need to get the new seal kits for the front calipers and install them, buy disks, pads, brake lines and solid lines now. :)

Brakes%202.jpg

Brakes%203.jpg

Wheels%203.jpg

Have to admit i'm getting quite curious about this one now.This raddo was very ill.

If you pull this off I will have to tip my hat to you.Those black alloys alone have made a huge difference imo.

Very nice choice.

Everyone likes a good "turn around" thread.

Have to admit i'm getting quite curious about this one now.This raddo was very ill.

If you pull this off I will have to tip my hat to you.Those black alloys alone have made a huge difference imo.

Very nice choice.

Everyone likes a good "turn around" thread.

Cheers for the compliments. :)

To be honest, the rado is still very ill. It's just surrounded by lots of bits now. :lol:

Will be good to finally finish it, still a long way off though. Been a bloody long time in bits as it is. Should get a few more bits sorted next month. Just about spent out at the moment...

Well you could always just put the wheels and brakes on, polish it up with a bit of patented Toad Turd Polish and take it to loads of shows.

Then simply sell 3 months later for 4x it's actual value to an emo kind on E38 :lol:

Good work Toady :) Wee pic for you btw from Germany :) I've deliberately over saturated it so the colours are stronger - and I have a hi res version if you want it for a wallpaper or anything.

Well you could always just put the wheels and brakes on, polish it up with a bit of patented Toad Turd Polish and take it to loads of shows.

Then simply sell 3 months later for 4x it's actual value to an emo kind on E38 :lol:

ROFL. Well, I might well sell it once it's done and I've driven it for a bit. Dunno yet.

Good work Toady :) Wee pic for you btw from Germany :) I've deliberately over saturated it so the colours are stronger - and I have a hi res version if you want it for a wallpaper or anything.

That picture looks lovely. Cheers! Could you email me a high res one please?

Just had a quick look at the calipers I left in the shed. Tiny rust spots are coming through already :( I guess the finish of the VHT paint should have given the crap coating properties away. Guess I'll be buying some Foliatec next week then. Another £10 wasted :( , although the hard work of cleaning them is done. I'll roughly key the surface before slapping the new paint around...

Spray hammerite for calipers, We did prodigal's a year ago and they're still fresh, and i'm planning to do the 280s I got from your good self in satin black sometime soon also :salute:

Spray hammerite for calipers, We did prodigal's a year ago and they're still fresh, and i'm planning to do the 280s I got from your good self in satin black sometime soon also :salute:

I've used silver hammerite on my 280s on the valver and been pleased with it, but after seeing Dom's Foliateced callipers, I think I'm gonna give that a try, seems to be a good smooth finish and really easy to clean, which will be fairly important given the colour :)

I don't want to be taking the calipers back off in a year or 18 months to reguff around with them, so this extra hassle now will be worthwhile I hope....

Started the VR today for the first time since January.

Have worked out that it has an engine that was put in roughly after April 2001, probably done 70k guessing from the service history. The chain guide had snapped and the tensioner bolt was shot. Replaced these, and it started straight away, lovely and smooth, better than I remembered from before, so I guess the flappy chain has done it some good.

But... There is still a rattle, and cyclic clacking sound. I've decided to treat it to new chains and tensioners all round, new oil pump. Leave the head on for the time being, as I don't have the cash or time to mess around changing it for the exciting one I bought earlier this year. The engine and box were coming out so I could put a new gearbox on it anyway. Just need to pop the new ggearbox open just to have a look for anything nasty first.

In the mean time, I've begun rewiring the stereo, speakers and throwing sound deadening in.

Getting a bit tired of it, well getting pretty tired of a lot of things, but I'll be glad when it's running nice and smoothly again.

Started the VR today for the first time since January.

Have worked out that it has an engine that was put in roughly after April 2001, probably done 70k guessing from the service history. The chain guide had snapped and the tensioner bolt was shot. Replaced these, and it started straight away, lovely and smooth, better than I remembered from before, so I guess the flappy chain has done it some good.

But... There is still a rattle, and cyclic clacking sound. I've decided to treat it to new chains and tensioners all round, new oil pump. Leave the head on for the time being, as I don't have the cash or time to mess around changing it for the exciting one I bought earlier this year. The engine and box were coming out so I could put a new gearbox on it anyway. Just need to pop the new ggearbox open just to have a look for anything nasty first.

In the mean time, I've begun rewiring the stereo, speakers and throwing sound deadening in.

Getting a bit tired of it, well getting pretty tired of a lot of things, but I'll be glad when it's running nice and smoothly again.

good stuff.

hang in there.

Well. In the next fortnight, the plan is for:

The VR to have the engine and box lifted out,

Cleaning of the bay to begin.

Engine to have timing chains etc replaced, schimmel cams fitted and depending on cashflow, new clutch and second hand gearbox fitted.

Cleaning of engine and box.

Interior refitted.

Emptying of all the crap inside.

Then while the engine is out, start looking at fixing the paintwork up.

The 16v will be getting a new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, pullies, ancilliary belts, oil and filter change and have a bath.

Doubt I'll do everything on the list, but it's a start....

Edit, oh, and get the tyres pulled off 4 of the speedies...

Nice shot, I'm jealous. :tongue: