mic_VR

Carbon Canister

Hi guys, i know this has probably been answered but just double checking so i don't damage my car.

This is as far as I've got.

DSCF0011.jpg

what do i do next? Is it ok to take the two tubes off the canister and feed them into each other? and what do I do with the rest of the pipe work?

you have to blank one off, and leave the other open.

ones a vacuum, the other is a vent (fuel fumes).

I really can't remember which is which though, it's been a few years since I removed mine, and both are now fed into the wing, so can't check :(

best bet is, use the Search with "Carbon Canister AND removal", or there is probably something in the wiki regarding it

Better search might be:

carbon AND cannister AND remov*

The clear one's the fuel tank breather IIRC....and should not be blocked.

Nice one, just wanted to check as looking through previous threads it seems that people have done a variety of mods from just relocating the canister itself, all the way up to removing all associated pipework and sensors upto the rocker cover breather pipe.

Just need to get it straight in my mind as didn't want to go as far as removing everything at the moment as still need to purchase a new flame trap coil that i broke at the weekend.

Cheers for all the help, i assume it's a wise idea to notify a garage that it is venting to atmosphre if i have any work done once the CC is removed? fire/explosion risk etc?

You don't have to block anything- just slot it on it's side, underneath the MAF and cable tie it in place ;)

CazzaVR, really? doesn't seem like there'd be room. I'll give it a go though cheers!

There is room- did it on my last VR. It's a snug fit, but it works with no need to mess with the pipes :)

You don't have to block anything- just slot it on it's side, underneath the MAF and cable tie it in place ;)

sounds like a good idea, been meaning to hook up the cold feed to my BMC CDA for ages!

I thought, seeing as the pipe is a vacuum pipe, that it would be a good idea to block it off, as otherwise it might suck something nasty up.

Block one, leave the other open

There is room- did it on my last VR. It's a snug fit, but it works with no need to mess with the pipes

Or you could re-locate it just behind the drivers headlight, and cable tie it in place. Thats where mine is.... I'm sure i have a pic somewhere, will try and dig it out....

Just to reiterate.... BLOCK the black one!!! It's a vacuum feed and if you don't block it, say hello to one big nice air leak.

If you want to relocate it. Best place is the gap between the radiator and offside headlight. It slots in there perfectly well out of the way. Just need to extend the tubes a bit, 2 mins work.

You will get petrol whiffs if you dump the carbon can though and yeah, you don't want to be welding around the area where the tank vent hose is dangling.

Just a quickie why do i have two clear pipes?

Binned the carbon canister a while ago for a BMC air feed and went to have a look after reading this thread and I have two clear ones.

I get that one is a vacuum and the other is a vent but neither seem to be sucking any air in? Do i still bother to block one off?

We'll tried to relocate the CC but just couldn't get happy with it. So it's now gone. Black tube blocked and clear tube venting to atmosphere (down the side of the airbox and out of the hole where the CC used to be)

Car starts and runs fine so have now drilled the airbox directly above where the CC used to be and fed a cold air feed down to next to the towing eye, where the outside air temp is.

Can't take it out for a run though unfortunately as it's got a major water leak but when i do I'll let you all know how it feels/runs etc.

JayG60, i'd say, judging from your pick, that you'll need to be blocking the larger tube (the one resting on your little finger in the pic) although Mr Wire will be able to tell you for sure

mic_VR - Air coming in at level of towing eye will be hotter than a foot above it on sunny days. Air at tarmac level can be around 50C in summer.

Hi, there are many threads on removing the CC, so i didnt know which one to join, anyway - ive removed mine today to improve the airflow (ready for its next track outing at Castel Combe later this month), so i have followed the advice - block the larger tube and put the smaller fuel tank tube down into the inner wing. Started the car - all runs fine, but there is quite a bad petrol smell ( i expected some!) and as the car is the in gge under my daughters bedroom im a bit worried about the fumes.

How blocked, if at all can the fuel vent pipe be? and what sort of fumes is everyone else getting once the CC has been removed?

Cheers.

Hi, ive taken my CC out yesterday (to gain more airflow ready for its next track outing at Castle Combe later this month), blocked the big tube and put the smaller one down into the inner wing, as i have seen lots about this on many threads here. There is a strong smell of fuel ( i expected some) now, which i am worried about as the car is in the garage under my daughters bedroom, so is this still safe?

Can the fuel breather be blocked partially?

How strong a smell should i expect?

What happens with the valve/sensor? Leave it plugged in and just dangling or remove it and leave the wires unplugged?

Hey, i havent done much to it really, blocked the larger of the two pipes, and tied up in the same place it was before and the fuel breather, i pushed the pipe down inside the inner wing as there was a hole about the right size. I havent touched and sensors or valves - do i need to?