Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Another on bites the dust, sorry Gradeafailure, Crazy Marcel

Well I am in shock.

Just found out my insurance company is going to write off my VR6.

I ran into the back of someone after what can only be described as a terrible day. I had just missed the flight to my honeymoon and so would miss a day and had to pay extra for another flight. I had been stuck for hours in London and my wife was on the phone to our travel company changing transfer details and they were giving her grief. I was at a roundbaout next to my place and the women went for gap, i looked thought I could make it as well so accelerated, she then thought she couldnt make the gap and braked, I didnt. All the damage was a bonnet, slam panel, head light and grill.

Such a shame but i think I will be breaking it, its got a few choice parts, heated leather interior etc.

The engine has about 140000 on it but a full stealth rebuild 25k ago. Would that be worth anything?

I am very sorry to the previous owners especially gradeafailure, I am totally gutted. I just want to go to the pub now.

Very sorry that my stupid mistake has made this car that bit more rare. I only hope that parts from i can help my fellow corrado owners.

One distraught owner :(

If the damage is as small as you say then buy the car back off the insurance and fix it up.

If the damage is as small as you say then buy the car back off the insurance and fix it up.

Yes that was my first thought, but I spent months at the beginging of the year fixing the car and i dont have the time or energy anymore. I was going to sell it anyway cause I have got into biking and I needed the money for a bike+gear etc.

sorry to hear about a terrible day :(

surely the payout would be enough to cover you privately fixing this car up, would be such a shame to break it, breaking is mgoing to involve a lot of work anyway.

is there a vulture smilie ? :lol:

HAHAHA

I spoke to my mechanic last night and was adament that I should repair it and sell it. I am still in 2 minds. I am not sure how much I could get for it now its a CAT D.

is there a vulture smilie ? :lol:

HAHAHA

I spoke to my mechanic last night and was adament that I should repair it and sell it. I am still in 2 minds. I am not sure how much I could get for it now its a CAT D.

keep good records of everything that's done to it, just because it's been a write off financially for the insurance company shouldn't put off someone who sees all the history for the car and it's condition in the flesh, the chances are you would sell it on to an enthusiast anyway, not as if it'll go on a garage forecourt and be sold to an 'average' punter as a family transport.

Thats bad karma chap. Sorry to hear it.

Having driven this car when GradeA had it, I can vouch it were one of the good ones. I was about to buy the suspension set up before he decided to sell it on.

Im sure you can get the parts of here for a rebuild and sell it on after you have had an insurance payout.

Best of luck chap.

Agree with ZippyVR6, that was a well-sorted motor. Bad luck chap, sorry to hear of another VR biting the dust for what is basically light cosmetic damage. :(

If you do decide to fix it up, these chaps can inspect it & get the Cat D taken off - just something to bear in mind :)

Get it fixed and sell it. If you can sell it for more than you can buy it back then youre quids in :wink:

Until you except their payment the car is still legally yours surely! I would not for one second except the 'it's policy' carp they're feeding you - take some legal advice and get YOUR car back!

Who are the insurers by the way?

Until you except their payment the car is still legally yours surely! I would not for one second except the 'it's policy' carp they're feeding you - take some legal advice and get YOUR car back!

Who are the insurers by the way?

Yeah I thought they had to offer it back or something but I was told they dont.

The company is Brentacre, or rather Claimtek who deal with their claims

AFAIK Brentacre are just the broker so it won't be them that are causing you the greif - I would imagine that Claimtec are your insurers and by all accounts seem like a bunch or ass!

I insure my cars through Brentacre and haven't had any problems but then I haven't had to make a claim :S

Stick to your guns and I'm sure they'll give up in the end - just don't except a payment with no buy back unless it's for enough to make it well worth your while...

Sorry to hear about this mate - never mind the car, glad to hear that it wasn't anything major and that you and the missus are ok... :)

If you do manage to find something out re. buying the car back off the insurers, gimme a call/text (assuming you still have my number!) as Laura and I may be able to help you sort it out with minimal amount of grief... ;)

Gradeafailure: How you doing mate. I still got your number, but I have changed mine. We need to hook up anyway cause I STILL have your stereo (shameful). The money and time I have spent on it in the last few months was crazy. I am trying not to think about it as it really upsets me.

I am still waiting on the insurance company to say whether they will let me buy the car back. Its killing me having it sitting in the garage while I wait.

j16jrf: Not sure if the insurance peopel will let me keep the car. I am waiting on their reply to my letter at the moment.

After much wrangling the insurance company they have agreed to fix it. :D So it is currently being repaired and the car as a whole will be for sale soon! :(

Woo! :multi:

After much wrangling the insurance company they have agreed to fix it. :D So it is currently being repaired and the car as a whole will be for sale soon! :(

Woo! :multi:

Tell me about it! I actually punched the air when I got off the phone with them. I am so glad it will live to see another day (although not with me I am sad to say). In my opnion even mentioning that it should be written off.

Still all is well that ends well.