Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Valver engine note appreciation thread

All i hear is people talking about 'that VR6 noise' or 'that supercharger whine'. But am i the only one that thinks the sound of the KR lump with a standard exhaust is also rather nice? When i put my foot down (ok i dont go forward much faster) but i love the engine not you get. Also, the standard exhaust has just the right level of noise on it too, nice and rumbly.

Anyone else?

Sounds quite tame most of the time...but beyond 4k rpm it does sound quite nice! 8)

trust me, the thing i miss most is the sound of my 16v, with he airbox holes and supersprint backbox. i just loved the note change at 3.5k :(

Valvers love to be revved I find. I love a nice 16 valve engine note at 5 grand. I used to get a real kick out of opening up my old golf's ABF on slip roads. Sounded wicked! :D But it just doesn't compare to my G60 going through a tunnel. That's at least :D :D :D :D :D :D

My mk1 16v on 45 webers...just before i tokk the engine out and stripped it to an absolute bare shell...Man i miss it, if i would have kept it,i would have never had the knightmare of owning a fecking corrado.

th_mk1revving.jpg

Yeah have to say I love the note from my valver when thrown down a gear or two and rev'd up to 4k and beyond. Had a VR Vento lined up but the Raddo came up at better money and my temptation gave in to owning a Corrado. Initially I was annoyed that I wasn't going to have that lush note which everyone adores but as I mentioned once it was opened up I was smiling, lol! Have a new manifold hopefully coming and a new system going on, so hopefully it will only get better. :lol:

9a's also sing when given some beans... Think VW's exhaust engineers got it spot on with the stock exhaust..

Nice and quiet round town and a bit "rah" when you open the throttle....

I love the sound of my (girlfriends) MKII 16v :lol: it sounds great, looks good, handles well and is reliable!

Well three out of four of the above for my Corrado isnt too bad I suppose :?

come to think of it the same could be said of the misses really :lol:

I think valvers sound pap. Strained, course, rough as though they really don't want to be revved to the redline. To me it sounds almost like your killing them when doing so. Agreed, they do have a nice sound at idle though. Rocco's are the same. Ok they're 8v carbs or inj, but they show the same traits as Rado engines.They just don't sound sweet at all. At the end of the day these valver engines are ancient technology which is why i think they aren't very sweet sounding.

But i love my ickle old valver anyway :lol:

Out of interest where have people hit the limiter in their valver? I've had mine to 8k and bottled it. Dont worry, this isnt a common occurance, it was on the way to the garage for a full engine rebuild, so it got abused on the way there, lol

I loved the sound of my valver over 4k. It had a nice cigar-throat 4-pot roar to it I've not heard in other cars. Several of my friends commented on the sound too. I had it up to 7200 rpm and then I think the limiter cut in?

it was on the way to the garage for a full engine rebuild, so it got abused on the way there, lol

Good lad, give it some stick! :lol: :lol: :lol: I've never had a car on the limiter ever. I'm far too much of a coward for that kind of thing.

:oops: er, I like to check the limiter's still working on a reasonably regular basis! :D

That's because you live in London and drive whilst shaving and drinking a coffee, you don't have a spare hand to change gear! Mind you you spend most of your life in 1st anyway! :lol:

John remember when you get out the "smoke" this weekend you'll need to use your left foot a lttle more often and stir that stick-thing next to you a bit!

I am a bit of a coward too.

I have never hit the limiter with many 8K runs and the addition of a techtonics chip on my old car. :?

I used to hit the limiter now and then on a Renault 19 16v i had as that car revved so freely it was unreal. The power just used to suddenly dip for a split second when you did. It felt fine though, no weird jolts or cutting out. Not sure how the limiter would feel on a valvers old fueling system. If someone could shed some light? :)

the limiter on kr is a dead cut...feels like youve snapped something

happens at 7200 on mine

yeah, don't know how anyone gets to 8K without butchering the ECU circuit board??? Isn't it a crystal or something that controls the limiter, it cuts ignition which is why it's so harsh.

A 2L on 9A inlet cam may not pull well at the top end but a good KR should spin to 7.2 pretty nicely, I know mine does :D

Those 16v heads were built for screaming all day long and love it.

I think valvers sound pap. Strained, course, rough as though they really don't want to be revved to the redline. To me it sounds almost like your killing them when doing so. Agreed, they do have a nice sound at idle though. Rocco's are the same. Ok they're 8v carbs or inj, but they show the same traits as Rado engines.They just don't sound sweet at all. At the end of the day these valver engines are ancient technology which is why i think they aren't very sweet sounding

They dont like to be revved???? As old a design it may be the valver is vw's true racing engine, with under piston cooling jets and sodium filled exhaust valves it is very advanced even today :wink:. Put a decent turbo on that thing and it will own all of you :twisted:

I think valvers sound pap. Strained, course, rough as though they really don't want to be revved to the redline. To me it sounds almost like your killing them when doing so. Agreed, they do have a nice sound at idle though. Rocco's are the same. Ok they're 8v carbs or inj, but they show the same traits as Rado engines.They just don't sound sweet at all. At the end of the day these valver engines are ancient technology which is why i think they aren't very sweet sounding

They dont like to be revved???? As old a design it may be the valver is vw's true racing engine, with under piston cooling jets and sodium filled exhaust valves it is very advanced even today :wink:. Put a decent turbo on that thing and it will own all of you :twisted:

If i only had the funds for a turbo conversion. Turbocharged cars are by far my fave. Had 3 now (one still stored) and always miss them.

As for piston cooling jets, Uno Turbo's have those to!! I still think the valver engines sound harsh though. Comparing it to the engine that was in my Reno 16v which was essentially the same being 1800cc, twin cam and 137bhp, the Rado engines just sound rough as. The Reno unit was so slick and quiet, they were worlds apart.

The Reno unit was so slick and quiet, they were worlds apart.

shame they put it in a renault then ...

I'd like to put in an official (rather biased) vote of appreciation for the throaty sound of a 16v.

My recipe consists of a Milltek, 50mm mani, Power rohr (gay), drilled box with K&N, and modified throttle body. Serve slightly warmed on to the exit of any half decent roundabout and you have a dish fit for kings.

As far as all that hitting the limiter malarky goes...surely thats what Enterprise rent a car is there for???

P.S is it me or do the E36 M3 Beemers sound like two robot dogs scratching each others eyes out in a blender when they're opened up, all metallic and sandy like someone forgot to put the oil in.