junkie

Hoping to buy another corrado.

Honestly i do hear you, i have looked over and over this gear situation for a good year now, i see when i change gear i will be lower in the rev range where more torque is available as opposed to the shorter gearing and been higher up the rev range and using less torque, i just cant make my mind up about how much "brutality" i may lose as people have fitted them and say their good but not fitted to an engine like mine, spoke to various people and its coming out at a draw as to which would be best, it seems as though the CTN will make more of fast cruiser, long acceleration with good in gear speeds but taking longer to get there whilst the VR6 will give quicker acceleration with the same in gear speeds pretty much.

All i can do is try it but all i want to do is do it once and once only, so im trying to gather all i can to find the best most suitable replacement for my needs.

Can you give a really good explanation now you have been using it for a while, yes we have been here before :D but its all good, thats why were on here after all to chat and help each other out, and i have by no means fully decided on which to use.

...just wanna say it sounds quite clear that your heart's in for the VR6 ratios. Which makes sense. All modern cars can do incredible top speeds these days IMO. Bearing that in mind, on which UK roads can we really do these speeds on realistically? (someone's probably going to tell me :D ) ...So incredible acceleration is the logical step to take if I were you. If you're hesitating still, it's probably because you find it more exhilarating to thrash/hear a long-sounding rev range - having said that just VR6 it! It'll still sound just as good I reckon. :thumb right:

Get a graph from a VRT setup and see how different it is. They use the VR box and I've not heard of them wanting to swap.

Can you give a really good explanation now you have been using it for a while, yes we have been here before :D but its all good, thats why were on here after all to chat and help each other out, and i have by no means fully decided on which to use.

Just take a look at the graphs and do a bit of homework. I think you're putting zero mental effort into figuring this out for yourself and at the end of the day, it's your decision.

:brickwall:

Honestly i do hear you, i have looked over and over this gear situation for a good year now, i see when i change gear i will be lower in the rev range where more torque is available as opposed to the shorter gearing and been higher up the rev range and using less torque, i just cant make my mind up about how much "brutality" i may lose as people have fitted them and say their good but not fitted to an engine like mine, spoke to various people and its coming out at a draw as to which would be best, it seems as though the CTN will make more of fast cruiser, long acceleration with good in gear speeds but taking longer to get there whilst the VR6 will give quicker acceleration with the same in gear speeds pretty much.

All i can do is try it but all i want to do is do it once and once only, so im trying to gather all i can to find the best most suitable replacement for my needs.

That is my mental effort :thumb right:

So no more input i take it on the gearbox that you suggest, its just more of an opinion that it is better no ifs or buts, that you give me and not really feeling the help my friend? Is a little more explanation on the opinion that you share too much hard work

Why would you go to all the bother of swapping VR ratios into your current box when a CTN box will give near identical 1,2 & 3 and stretched out 4 and 5 and give you more mph on long drives?????????????????????????????????????? :cuckoo:

Basically your trying to suggest a better alternative yet this is really all you have said and when i ask for a litle more info all i got was :brickwall: throw me a fricking bone here :lol: were on a discussion board

Having only used the VR and G60 gears i can only comment on those and only try to imagine how much longer the CTN will be?

Also CTWG60 i mentioned in your gearbox thread ages ago about using the Ibiza box but you needed more info on it well if you fancy doing some more investigation i have further details now.

Its the Seat Ibiza Cupra (not the R) 2001 gearbox, apparently another straight swap just about as anoter possible option to us G60 owners. See how it compares to the other 2?

Still looking good 8)

Hows the gearbox issue?

do you have any links for the turbo conversion?, ive had a good look on jabba web but couldnt see any? :(

No links im afraid, its just a case of calling them to get the old quote im afraid.

Well the car is off the road indefinately so the gearbox will be getting sorted somehow but i dont know what exactly im going to do tbh.

Just saving the pennies while its off the road, it still works just wanting longer ratios.

Update then Currently needing

New Passenger inner CV

Replace front pads, completely shot, have DS2500 waiting but its just too cold to get motivated

Fuel as it wont even get me to the garage 2 miles away

Oil

Repair non sliding sunroof

Downpipe blowing

2 front tyres, gonna steal 2 off the mrs's alloys in the garage

road tax

investigate electric recaro passenger seat for back rest tilt

replace fuse for fogs and horn and replace horn

send off aquamist pump for repair

maybe wash it for once and polish it

heater works on 4 only

So all in all not too much to do and nothing too major, might just do the tyres, brakes, cv, put oil and fuel in then just drive it as usual, jobs a good 1.

Replace front pads, completely shot, have DS2500 waiting but its just too cold to get motivated

Are they the Ferodo ones that aren't the coolest or the hottest? If so I had some of them. Best brake pads I've ever used!!

2500s are a good overall pad. A constant 0.5 friction coefficient at any temp, which is perfect for a daily road car. DS3000 has too much iron content and the dust will destroy your alloys's laquer.

Pagid's RS15 is a crazy, crazy pad, way stickier than the DS2500....but they nead heat in them. The best full race pad I've ever used on the road :-)

On the gearbox, go with what ever gearing you think will suit your driving style best. I'm with you. I hate tall gearboxes. I prefer acceleration. Top speed is for pubs. And economy is for Audi A2 driving cardigan and slipper wearers.

The stock VR6 gearbox is great for forced induction, but even better with the G60 final drive (3.68) as it makes the gearing more accelerative. There's no bogging or off boost lethargy. There's instant punch at any rpm in any gear.

I've driven turbo cars with tall gearing and catch them off boost in a high gear, they are dog slow until the boost climbs.

Pagid's RS15 is a crazy, crazy pad, way stickier than the DS2500....but they nead heat in them. The best full race pad I've ever used on the road :-)

Crazy i say just crazy, LMAO.

Im not too fussed on having to build up the heat too much as generally the brakes cope well on standard pads and discs, so by using the ferodo DS2500 it should cut out a little more fade then when funds allow change to 2 pice discs, which should see a very healthy set up for fast road use, i dont intend on doing track days.

On the gearbox, go with what ever gearing you think will suit your driving style best. I'm with you. I hate tall gearboxes. I prefer acceleration. Top speed is for pubs. And economy is for Audi A2 driving cardigan and slipper wearers.

The stock VR6 gearbox is great for forced induction, but even better with the G60 final drive (3.68) as it makes the gearing more accelerative. There's no bogging or off boost lethargy. There's instant punch at any rpm in any gear.

Well if i can get the money i may buy JMC's CCM code VR box and make a mash up of the G60 and VR box, try to use all the gear set from the VR not just 1st and 2nd, not sure on the final drive front yet though as it still sounds too short for me, you previously made it sound like it would be my box still using a G60 final drive.

I still want fast hard acceleration but it needs taller gears lower down the RPM range as it just spins too easy or when setting the car up for some corners gear wise, more often than not 2nd drops me too high up the rev range which gives me about a 2 second press of the throttle before needing to change and if i choose 3rd it just drops off the boost slightly. So say im chasing an EVO, come to a roundabout, 2nd i keep up with him but change to 3rd and he pulls away slightly till the boost is back or use 3rd and he pulls away slightly more then i catch them up again.

So i need the longer 2nd and not as big a jump from 2nd to 3rd with a longer 3rd as well, but not all too long, not fussed on top speed but i dont want to be so small in the gears that it struggles for 100mph.

I use the DS2500 at the moment, no complaints so far :)

The RS15 is funny. In the wet, there's nothing there at all when you stamp the pedal after a prolonged cruise. The heat just saps away :lol: The DS2500s seem to grab onto a wet disc well though. The RS15s when warm feel like someone in the back seat has pulled on your seatbelt as hard as they can...... awesome pads 8)

Sounds like you know exactly what you want from your gearing. I still say the stock VR6 box with 3.68 is the way to go. 4th and 5th have superb acceleration. 3rd is perfect. 1st and 2nd are still short, but not *too* short.

The VRT has some serious top end legs, but I still think the 3.68 FD is better suited to it, so it's going to be even better for a 1900 8V T.

Oh yes i can see that been really funny in the wet, cruise off a motorway up the slip road, junction shit no brakes lol.

I know exactly what i want from the gears but im still unsure how to get it, i have good acceleration now it just doesnt last long enough in each gear and the ratios are all wrongly spaced.

Only reason im swaying towards the VR set is after driving _Leon_'s motor (near enough your old car i believe lol) they felt perfect for my driving style.

I find that sort of thing funny.... probably because I'm slightly loopy :lol:

Well there you go then mate, stock VR6 box for you!

_Leon's_ gearing is stock. NickVR6 never got round to putting in the 3.68.

You thought that gearing was perfect? That's waaaaay too tall for me :lol:

The reason your gears feel too short is because your torque starts dropping off fairly early (looking at your plots). Mine hauls arse all the way to 7K (more if I let it) and that does make a difference....

Agree it does drop off but it looks quite bad due to it peaking so high so early, if you work it out its still doing quite a lot of torque, sure its something like 260lb/ft @6k

Confusing stuff this gear ratio thing eh :lol:

Id probably look towards the vr6 gearing i think? More useable spread over the ctn?

Neil.

I am really stuck with the decision as on paper the CTN looks better for my engine, but every1 i talk to thinks they will be too long. I think for normal driving thats when they will be too long and make the boost drop off constantly but when used to the limiter they would be perfect maybe???

Easier to do the CTN and probably cheaper too, i just need to have a drive in a car with them in, drove the VR6 and i liked it although i only got to the top of 3rd on the roads i was on where as in my car on the same road i would get into 4th.

Riley you talking from any experience from both mate?

Not from experience using these two specific boxes im afraid mate...

I have driven the vr6's and ive used the 4t dieseal box in a mk1 16v and that had suuuuuper long ratio's.

Im just kind of (not guessing) but throwing my 2 penneth in i guess :lol:

Looking at your short torque spread i just don't think the long gearing would be getting fully utilised?

Being a turbo, and having the torque it has, it won't have a big problem pulling through the gears but once the torque drops off you would be wanting the gear to be dropping off too or shortly after ideally.

Thats how i understand it anyway :lol:

Neil.