Sign in to follow this  
gavbs

We've lost half a star

Evo magazine has been refreshed this month - actually looks better than before in my opinion.

One thing they have done is taken a new look at the Knowledge and re-done the star ratings.

The result being that the Corrado VR6 now has 4.5 stars and not 5. Whereas they used to put 'Er' next to minus points, they now list the car as being a 'little nose heavy'. Wonder if this has anything to do with the FWD group test they did last year?

My previous car, the Accord Type-R has also lost half a star!

Nice feature on the Stelvio pass though!

You can kind of see their point but it has still got to be a 5 star car surely 8) As good as a Fiat Coupe 20V that gets five stars! :?

Frankly I don't really care what EVO's ratings for cars are anymore. Over the years they've become total badge-snobs, and in the current issue they manage to sing the dynamic praises of the both Porsche 997 GT2 & Ferrari 430 Stradale even though they havn't driven either, whilst at the same time slagging off the APR Golf conversion (400+ HP) just for being "too expensive" at £6k. It's also a sure-done thing that any group test will be won by a BMW unless there is also a Porsche present.

The Corrado at the last group hatchback test was just brought along to make the numbers up, and (to me) John Simister's comments about driving the car seemed more based on just knowing about the layout of the car than from actually driving one

Although my car is pretty heavily modified these days, it's only 18 months since I ran a completely standard one. I know my Corrado kicks arse, better built, has more class and is more comfortable than any Mini or Clio 197.

End of.

Oh get off your high horses folks! If you'd actually read the magazine properly you'd have noticed that all the ratings have been changed. Read it again - there's an explanation.

I hate to say it, but the corrado IS a bit nose heavy. Fact.

Corrado better built than a new mini? Really? Mine wasn't. Neither of them in fact. Not even as well built as my old golf VR.

And finally, I reckon either a BM or Porsche always wins because they're the best in the group?

Come on chaps (in a Scouse accent)... Calm Down :)

I love corrados and always will, but lets be a bit realistic here shall we.

A good point well made by double-6s.

As time moves on and cars improve, the benchmark increases. Better brakes, suspension, tyres, seats, engines etc - all part of the mix.

The Corrado was probably worth five stars in the nineties, but by the very nature of the cars it mixes with, the rating has to decrease. The bar has been risen - the Corrado hasn't dropped in ability.

Over the years they've become total badge-snobs, and in the current issue they manage to sing the dynamic praises of the both Porsche 997 GT2 & Ferrari 430 Stradale even though they havn't driven either, whilst at the same time slagging off the APR Golf conversion (400+ HP) just for being "too expensive" at £6k. It's also a sure-done thing that any group test will be won by a BMW unless there is also a Porsche present.

That was last month's :lol:

Interesting you mention BMW. In this month's letters a few folk wrote in to say Evo are BMW biased because the M3 beat the RS4 (just) in the previous mag.

Sore losers perhaps, but I kind of agreed with them and when I picked up this month's Evo, what's on the front cover? "Best M car ever?" LOL! Evo really do have a hard on for BMWs :-)

They are cracking cars though, especially the 335i and 335d.

This is why I read PPC mag these days, which is all about modding cars cost effectively (a lesson I need teaching, badly!) and they have no particular favourite brands.

Every month you can guarantee a BMW will feature in a test and it's getting boring tbh. I used to love M BMWs, but now they are so far out of reach of the average buyer that I just lost interest in them. £50K for a bloody 3 series??! It's ridiculous.

Agree with Doubles. Corrados were good in their day, not any more (imo), dynamically speaking. Corrados need good mods to the powertrain and the chassis just to keep them competetive against the current crop of hatches etc, but not necessarily 'better'. I used to hate all the samey plastic euroboxes but the MK5 GTI and Focus RS changed my opinion. I think both are excellent cars and easily feel FAR more composed on B roads than any Corrado I've driven, including mine.

What I've done to mine is incredible fun and I love driving it, but the chassis and the car's age are ultimately it's limiting factors!

I still give it 5 stars , mine anyway :lol: Your just getting old kev :lol: Talking like car snobs.

Bit of a Narcissist by any chance Shaun? ;)

All very true sadly.

In my standard engine car I struggle to get past reasonably well driven diesel rep mobiles now a days :( :lol:

Some of the all time oldie greats keep their 5 stars though, Audi quattro and 106 rallye off the top of my head.

And must admit I would love to try out a C with a lightweight engine transplant anyone with a 1.8T care to comment on how/if the handling is improved? And there I am thinking of adding more weight with a charger, I should know better lol

Matt :-)

This is why I read PPC mag these days, which is all about modding cars cost effectively (a lesson I need teaching, badly!) and they have no particular favourite brands.

:salute:

This is true, i look forward to this droppin on my floor every month....even tho im a vw nut, this mag is great likeminded people who modify cars on a budget

How smart was that old skool volvo :shock: :shock: 8)

There was a nice little cameo appearance for the 205 on Fifth Gear last week. Always fancied one but always end up sticking to Dubs.

After reading this month's evo i'm beginning to agree that it's changing for the worse actually.

I agree with Kev about the testing a car without actually driving it thing! Ridiculous. I have also noticed (perhaps) that they seem to be disappearing up each others aerosols a bit!

Plus they still haven't sent me the prints they promised for using my alfa for a photoshoot, and I'm still 60 quid petrol money down :(

Can't believe I'm posting negatively about evo mag - always loved it :(

Good to see that the E30 won the M shoot out though :)

Good to see that the E30 won the M shoot out though :)

Yeah, but thanks to that my poor long suffering girlfriend is having to spend a lot of time persuading me it would be a bad idea to go and buy one. It does look very sexy.

I don't think it would be a bad idea at all....

I know for a fact if we take one out for a spin my girlfriend will want one too. Thinking about it she's probably trying to persuade herself as much as me. Maybe we can hock the Celica.... As much as I love that car it ain't no E30 M3.

Agree with the comments about Evo losing its appeal. I have everyone since the start, but tellingly, I won't be renewing the subscription in January. :?

The letter to the editor re the BMW M3 vs RS4 test summed it up for me: saying just how much more planted, how much more feel, better sounding etc the RS4 is, then gave it to the M3. Utter pap!

From what I'm hearing/reading, sounds like PPC will be its replacement. :D The other great read is Octane magazine, but my Dad gets that, so no point in me subscribing too!