Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Have I missed some New Rules on Motorway Driving?

lol, there's probably a ambulance/fire engine/police drivers forum with a thread thousands of posts long about that somewhere! :D

"how badly did people block you in on your emergency call today?" :lol: :lol:

pah i just read through this and i may not have been driving long but it always seems the same, even at 3am on the m1 you get a stream of cars travelling in the middle lane, i'm gonna get myself in trouble soon cos when a stereotypical bmw rep driver (i like the cars but the motorway manners of their drivers are shite) pulls out on me i will put all my lights on hold my horn down and let him know just how much of a cnut he really is, a bit of enthusiastic driving usually ensues cos i imagine they say to themself (through their surgically implanted bluetooth headset obviously :lol: ) 'what is that old vw doing in the bmw lane? i will show him what a real car is' thats when i love my vr... havent met a bmw yet thats willing to go faster than i will - hence i will probably get in trouble soon! saying that those new diesels are impressively fast so i think i need more power 8)

Yeah - it's always the BMW drivers isn't it... Had a pair of silver E46's owning the outside lane on the M6 strip from Warrington to Manchester one night... I was in the middle lane doing 80, watching them play with each other, thinking "Huh, this looks interesting". Then they both went into my lane a few car distances ahead of me... Now I thought hmmm, they seem to be going at a good pace so I stayed behind them for a few hundred yards, then they moved into the inside lane, so I naturally followed and observed.

Well after a while, 80 seemed hard to hold, as I was drawing closer to one of the Beemers in front - so naturally - no cars ahead in the pitch blackness of the night, I overtook... (not wanting to cause a reaction, I just wanted some road to my self) Very smooth by the way (by the way, only had car for about a month, so still amazed by it's effortless pace). Well moving past them like they were standing still, they seemed to take interest. (Probably wondering, what's this red K reg thing doing overtaking us?) So we yo-yoed overtaking with each other for a few minutes (nothing strenuous on both sides approx. 110+). But then they seemed to up the pace - I think they were sizing me up. Felt scary - should I be scared of Beemers? Well they were about to overtake again on the outside, so I decided to keep up with them in the middle lane as I watched them getting closer and closer in my rearviewmirror... Dangerous I must say as a tiny hatchback was nearly denying me a proper run up, but I indicated at the last moment and undertook those provocative lane hogging Beemers.

Well anyway, I think we all layed down a line after that, as as I returned to the middle lane, one overtook me to join my lane again, while the other joined behind me - my adrenaline was pumping as it appeared they were going to box me in for a few hundred yards more... until they turned off at the next junction.

There is a point to this really - and it is regarding my cars performance, or what I felt was a lack of torque. Has this always been normal to a VR6 or is it even more so because it's a 15 year old car? I've heard a lot of good performance figures for the Corrado in the past, but in general, driving it at low speeds to top speeds, there seems to be a lot of gas you have to put into it to get it going. Listening to people praise this highly sort after gem, I never always thought the Corrado needed a lot of revs - maybe I'm just learning.

I like the french way.

If you're in the outside lane and someone is coming up faster behind you, get out the way as soon and as quickly as possible to let em past. Then pull out again. it's simple and it works. In france.

Not sure it would work in england though as we are so defensive and jealous on the roads. I swear the average uk driver actually tries to f*ck up everyone else's journey. It's in our nature.

So I reckon the french way, with a little bit of the german hierachy system thrown in for good measure :)

Incidentally, the other week on the way back from Cornwall with the kids in the Alfa, i was avin it up the A30 'at the speed limit' when i noticed we were coming up behind a lovely new Ferrari F430 a couple of hundred yards ahead. He saw me in the mirror and instantly pulled into the inside lane to let me fly past! :) :) :)

He even had a look at the GTA as we went past :)

the police patrols are actively gesturing for people to move over where they see incidences of lane ignorance. However Ive never heard of someone saying they got asked to move over by the police.

I was in the fast line on the A1 in the work's car going up to Sawtry and a car came up behind me with a bar of lights across the roof of the car and one headlight out, the other stupidly bright. He tailgated for a few seconds then flashed a few times to get me to move. I was going the same speed as the car in front leaving safe distance to brake and there were cars going much slower in the other lane so I thought *Like f**k am I moving just because you're in a hurry, AND you're only driving with one headlight in the pitch black!!* After a few more flashes I gave him the birdie and he stopped. A coach pulled out 1 car in front of me to overtake a lorry so we slowed down to 60-65ish, the car behind me was then edging in to the middle of the road straddling the middle line, swerving in and out of the lane. The coach pulled in to the slow lane, the car in front of me overtook the coach and pulled over and I did the same. It was only when the car drove past that I realised it was a traffic cop and he sped off when the road was clear - if he had his blues on, I would've moved straight away! I'm not surprised the Police don't ask people to move over if they all drive like complete tw*ts in vehicles that aren't roadworthy!

I'm also surprised at the amount of BMW and the like that don't have working indicators!! rahhh apparently you have to be a mind reader to work out what they are going to do next.

I hate people that drive really close to the back of you, to try and intimidate you to move over. I have just as much right to overtake someone in my little car as they do in their 4x4, and I will move over when I get the chance. I've told my Step-dad off for doing that aswell, also said how amazed I was that he bought a car with faulty indicators. That went down well.

I think what has been said about women drivers isn't necessarily fair, to be honest the most people I shout at in my car are men, who think that it's their god given right to drive always in the 'fast' lane.

I also agree that their should be a motorway element included in driving tests, the first time i ever got on the motorway it was snowing, and probably at the point in my life the scariest thing to happen lol.

I need a BMW worker/salesperson to confirm this, when now selling a new BMW does it come with the highway code handbook as i have photo evidence of a new BMW in the middle lane of the M1?

Incidentally, the other week on the way back from Cornwall with the kids in the Alfa, i was avin it up the A30 'at the speed limit' when i noticed we were coming up behind a lovely new Ferrari F430 a couple of hundred yards ahead. He saw me in the mirror and instantly pulled into the inside lane to let me fly past! :) :) :)

He even had a look at the GTA as we went past :)

no worries mate the GTA looked quite nice ;)

Im also with you guys, i cant help but shout (maybe i shouldnt, and albeit theres no one else but me who can here me shouting) at the people who stay in the middle lane, drives me mad. No problem with people staying in the fast lane as long as they dont hold people up who come up behind them, its those that hold others up and refuse to pull over to the middle lane that annoys me. Motorway driving should become part of the driving lesson agenda.

A quick re-cap above for those who have posted complaining about being flashed or tailgated

Problem: YOU

Solution: MOVE OVER

I was gonna share some of my motorway experiences, but after reading all that I'm too knackered.

Sorry about that... I do go on. :D By the way, re. Corrado VR6's, does anyone else have long travel for their clutch and accelerator pedals?

That's alright mate, I don't really have anything all that interesting to say anyway. :lol: You probably just saved the forum from another one of my 8 paragraph rants! :wink:

To be honest, i dont think there's any excuse for tailgating, its just damn dangerous.

The thing that gets me about tailgating is when people are doing it the speed of travel becomes almost irrelevant. If you are following someone too closely and you have not left enough stopping distance and they slam on the stoppers you are fooked. All the speed is going to do is determine the severity of the fookedness.

Well the way I see it so far is... we're all Corrado drivers right? Anyone who tailgates us are either:

i). wondering what on earth we're driving [checking out the rear badges - that's if you haven't removed 'em],

ii). provocative and had a bad day,

iii). jealous and know exactly what we've got under the bonnet [kinda the same as ii).],

iv). wanna race yer [which is still kinda the same as ii).],

v). amazed by the performance of a '90s relic still having the edge on their heavy E46 M3! [kinda the same as iii).],

vi). there's probably a 6th, but I can't think of anything right now... but it's probably kinda the same as iii).!

Yes, what happens to normal people when they climb into a Beamer, whether man or woman? :?

Do they emit some kind of Gamma radiation as soon as you sit in the drivers seat and turn you into a complete tosser? :shock:

Don't want to even start on X5 drivers!

...probably a bit of a hypocrite here, but when I got behind the wheel of my brother's E36, I became a complete speeding tw@t! So I have an empathy for those other Beemer tw@ts too. It's not their fault really.

...something about how the car communicated through me I recall - put me on edge. (might have been the gamma radiation tho)... :)

3:00 am Friday morning 5th Oct... blah, it happened again - I take back the previous post - they are tw@ts!

Not just 3 series... I had a brand new 5 touring sat about 2 ft off my bumper on the M25 yesterday morning.. at *cough* "the speed limit" (ie Corrado's "usual" M-way cruising speed), what really hacked me off was the fact that I couldn't actually go anywhere as we were in lane 3 with a stream of "Sunday drivers" in Lane 2... So really what was the point? Other than to endanger your wife and two (unrestrained as they were climing about the back seat not watchin their Headrest DVDs) kids?

Mind you had a wee bit of "Red Mist" on the M11 with a nobber in a Mk4 Goof 2.0.. carved me up where it narrows to 2 lanes by a speed camera... Wouldn't have been so bad but the fact that I had to welly the anchors on as he was coming down from about 90 to 50 for the camera right across my bows... So into 3rd and off after him.. when I finally pulled alongside (he almost took out a motobike with his impatience after this as well!) turns out he not only had his missus in the car but a baby in the back as well! :shock: Backed off after that.. I don't want to be responsable for that Kn@b-jockey's driving..

Still on the upside.. I managed 35.7mpg on yesterday's run! :lol:

Fast lane is also apparently for anyone in a 4x4 'Sport' or 'Warrior', which surely shows that car companies have a sense of humour to stick either on the back of a tarted up mud plugger.

Although take comfort in knowing that their is something with worse mpg while cruising at 70mph. :D

At a petrol station - some BMW b!tch wants to vent her frustration at me - routing for an apology from me... Basically, the Ford Focus' fuel flap's on the right, and there was one left-side pump available from the rest, so I use my initiative while it was clear. So when it comes to put my nozzle in the hole, forecourt tannoy requests I turn my car round again - so I did and in meantime, BMW b!tch comes up to use pump I'm leaving (plenty of room), as I pull into a recently available pump (right-hand), next to me. BMW b!tch regards my driving as erratic and after explaining to her something that should've been self-explanatory, hence what I was doing, I asked her "I don't know what else you want me to say?" BMW drivers want their feet kissed - but I keep having to remind myself they're people too. :hitler:

I find more and more drivers (usually men!) think that putting their indicator on means that they have a right to pull out in to the next lane, normally at 55mph! Um, I always thought indicating in this way was a warning to other drivers that you wish to pull out and will when it's safe to do so!? But no, that'd be common sense.. and law.

I find more and more drivers (usually men!) think that putting their indicator on means that they have a right to pull out in to the next lane, normally at 55mph! Um, I always thought indicating in this way was a warning to other drivers that you wish to pull out and will when it's safe to do so!? But no, that'd be common sense.. and law.

That really annoys me as well. Its an indication that you want to make a maneuver not something that gives you the right to do what you want!

Heh, thats when people DO use indicators. Standards of driving have gone down hill over the last couple of years. No one likes to use indicators, some drivers general driving skills are appauling.

Yesterday i was goign down a dual carriageway and was stuck behind a woman driving in the fast lane. She was travelling that little bit slower then those in the slow lane and had left a HUGE gap to the next car ahead. She was too busy checking her hair out in the mirror and running her hand through her hair. I know i shouldnt have but i under took her when i could and pulled back in front and i was on my way. She had the audacity to shake her head in disapproval at me. WTH? All i did was show MY disapproval at her being more involved with her hair then her driving. :lol: i wont say how i made that clear to her.

Also another pet hate (sorry) is manners, thanking someone when they let you out etc. god i hate that! if you let them out and they dont thank you GRRRR

rant over :lol:

Had an amusing experience with a lone middle-lane plodder on a near-empty motorway in the evening once.

I was in the inside lane at around 70mph, just casually cruising along as I was in no hurry and there were no more than six cars on my side of the motorway. I gradually close on a car (forget what it was) doing about 60-65 in the middle lane, so I indicate in good time, cross to the middle lane, and repeat the same to overtake in the outside lane.

Having cleared the car, I indicated and pulled in once to the middle lane, then again into the inside lane, but notice that the car behind is still trolling along the middle lane... :roll:

Being a bit curious, I slowed down to about 55 and allowed the mid-lane cruiser to pass me, then repeated my overtaking manouevre at 70 again. Once I was back in the inside lane, I saw the driver indicate and join me. Job done :wink:

Not the kindest thing to have done, but they got the point that it's OK to use 'that lane on the left'! :lol:

Use of an indicator is a signal of an intent to make a maneuver, it's not a request to other drivers to give way. I hate it when people use their indicators as a request, as I then have to keep an eye on their wheel in relation to the lane marking to make sure they aren't going to go for it having not seen me. It's mirror, signal, maneuver! Not signal, mirror, maneuver or signal, maneuver or just maneuver or mirror, signal, wait for some one to give way and then get annoyed when they don't and then maneuver erratically and then tailgate the person who did not giveway! :|

Also ever find yourself watching other drivers drive right up behind a car in the left lane before thinking "oh I'm gonna have to change lanes here if I want to maintain my speed" indicates then looks in the mirror and sees you gaining on them in the middle lane and thinks "oh bollox I can't I'll have to brake" Wankers look ahead and in your mirrors don't expect others to make concessions for your s**t driving!

And another thing bloody lorries overtaking each other at a 1 mph speed differential because of their tachographs, cruise control or lack of power!! Surely they realise they ain't gonna get there much quicker going 1 mph faster and also they're only gonna get stuck in a traffic jam further up the road anyway 'cos some other muppet lorry driver has turned a 3 lane motorway into a one lane rolling road block for the last 10 minutes. :censored: :mad2: :bad-words: :p

Sorry done about 2000 motorway miles in the last month and it's getting to me!!

Rant over

And what about fast lane tailgaters that inevitably end up over-braking and cause those mysterious massive jams that appear to have no apparent cause! :brickwall: