Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

Why are VRs so cheap at the moment!?

It might just be me but it seems that VR prices seem to be rock bottom at the moment, loads of the Cs for sale would have commanded much more £££ this time last year, doesnt seem like the VRs are living up to 'appreciating classic' status at the moment, which is a shame! And you would think that with all the Cs you see being broken on all the forums that there would be some scarcity and prices might be on the up :(

I know what you mean.....there are lots going cheap just now....and if i hadn't just spent an obsene amout doing up my new house then i would have had one by now.....i have been watching the prices drop for the last year.

maybe if they keep going i'll get one eventually :D

It would seem the only C's to be holding their price at the moment is the G60.

Good news for anyone really. Cheap for buyers, and too cheap to bother selling so it convinces you to hold onto them :D

i think that theres just a lot of supply... more and more are reaching the 100-150k mileage and people dont want to start spending preventative money (which is often 25-50% of the cars value) on them when they can put that towards an hp deal on something a lot newer.

I know what you mean though, thought prices would be steady when i bought last year but i think they're at least 10% and in some cases 20% down since then.

at this rate i will be breaking mine rather than selling it complete when its time to move on, as it seem the prices for parts has remained unchanged.

I hate to think how uneconomical buying my car was. It cost me £1800, i spent £450 on the MOT repairs, £250 on the braking system, £1000 on the engine rebuild, and now it needs a new front wing. and after all that effort its cosmetically worse than on the day of purchase, and is probably worth £1000 at a push.

Good news is its given me a reason not to sell! :D

where did you get your rebuild done skinnyman9000? I think thats next on my list with the C, want to get the chains and tensioner done some time soon with the car hitting 150k a few weeks ago so I think I might just get the job lot. Did the £1000 include parts and labour? Im not a very mechanical type but I know that the car would benefit from some new internals, its starting to get a bit tappety now...

What exactly does a full rebuild entail? :?

I have had this discussion with a few people at shows etc over the last couple of years. The Corrado is going through its transition phase of being a modern classic where a lot of parts are still available, many cars are reaching a point where they are becomming uneconomical to repair and the price of spares remains boyant due to current owners possibly not willing to buy new parts and replacing worn items with second hand ones. At the moment the cost of an average Corrado is around what you would expect to get from breaking it and just selling the major components, i.e. leather interior about £500, engine and loom around the same etc etc.

This will continue for a while and then there will be a point where there are very few cars to break as the ones that are left are all 'keepers' About that time parts availability will also drop off (although it is at the moment) with a lack of internal trim and genuine body panels becoming the show stoppers. This will also mean that is harder to keep a Corrado running on second hand parts and as such they will either stabilise in price or start creeping back up. This should also see a reduction in the number of cars that are being run by chav types as they won't be bothered with the hassle of owning one.

This is a generic template for the way classic cars mature, hopefully there will reach a point where mechanical parts and body parts are being re-manufactured although these will not be as of good quality as OE fit.

Agreed Yan. TBH there are several factors governing the price of cars and like any other economic cycle it will fluctuate according to economic effects. Dont worry, the prices will sabilise and pro creep up soon, its just a bad patch at the moment and a good reaason to keep hold of the car. If you look after it why sell anyway. Having said that i'm sorely tempted by Yan's VR, as mine's an auto and it will cost me a fair few notes to convert to a manual, although town driving is nice and comfortable. Dont worry about prices, just enjoy the tinkering and driving.

I saw the same thing happen with MGB's a couple of decades ago.......my V8 roadster has been steadily increasing in value over he last decade....another 20 years and I may get back what it's cost me.

Not having learned my lesson the first time, I'm happily ploughing money into my VR6 (respray....VSR manifold etc).

Will I ever get it back......hopefully that'll be my children's problem......similar thread on the MG site ended with a Yorkshire wag remarking ...'enjoy it now...you spend along time staring at the lid !

where did you get your rebuild done skinnyman9000? I think thats next on my list with the C, want to get the chains and tensioner done some time soon with the car hitting 150k a few weeks ago so I think I might just get the job lot. Did the £1000 include parts and labour? Im not a very mechanical type but I know that the car would benefit from some new internals, its starting to get a bit tappety now...

Midland VW. The piston rings gave way at 121k, smoke everywhere so had no choice. Had the following done for £1000 all in.

Rehoned bores and new piston rings

New conrod bearings

New gaskets

New valve guides and seals

Head overhaul

Decoked cylinderhead

Internals cleaned and checked

New oil and filter

Took it back after 1000 miles for a check over too, had the oil replaced and everything checked etc.

Midland VW. The piston rings gave way at 121k, smoke everywhere so had no choice. Had the following done for £1000 all in.

Rehoned bores and new piston rings

New conrod bearings

New gaskets

New valve guides and seals

Head overhaul

Decoked cylinderhead

Internals cleaned and checked

New oil and filter

Took it back after 1000 miles for a check over too, had the oil replaced and everything checked etc.

yorkshireone, bear in mind that this is a valver rebuild and therefore not as costly as what would be needed for your VR..

thats brutal, surely it would be more economical to just do a low miler 20v transplant? :?

But you then loose the VR, yes the 1.8T has more power available through a small amount of much cheaper tuning but if it was once a VR then depending on how long you would want to keep the car depends on if you think it would be worth it.

The entire secondhand market is on it's back at the moment. It's not just Corrados.

That's what it is.

All manner of high performance and / or large capacity cars are falling in value due to this stupid green campaign....and petrol prices rising again.

I saw an E39 M5 up for sale recently at £9K. £9K...for a 400hp super saloon! It's still rated over the current M5 for all round appeal by Evo mag, but because people fear astronomical carbon taxing, they shy away from them and other fuel eaters like it, such as the VR6.

It was exactly the same situation in the 90s when hot hatches were uninsurable due to bastard fck face boy racers ruining things for everybody else.... much like the bastard fck face Royal mail walkouts are doing now.... the feckers...gonna have to wait weeks for my Amazon order now...the feckers....

Anyway, as these silly little propoganda phases pass, values of 'proper' cars rise again. Life is nothing but a repetetive circle isn't it? I mean Wispa bars and cardigans are trendy again.....

Probably for the same reason Coke got rid of Coke, and then brought it back again as Coke Classic :lol: Just a way of making more money!!

I never rated the Wispa as highly as an Aero, but Aeros have changed now and don't taste as good, so Wispas rule again :-)

I still remember the Smith and Jones Wispa advert like it was yesterday..... but they seemed to fizzle our of circulation shortly after.

We were discussing that at work last week. So, on another note not related to VR prices - WHY did they get rid of Wispa Bars :lol: YUM!

Those Wispa Gold bars were lovely...

I think now is a very good time to invest in corrado ownership with some great motors around.

TBH, you could quite easily afford one as a second car the way things are currently. That's what I did, and it's only costing £600/year more for me, after tax, insurance and an extra MOT/year.

Well, apart from the repairs, but I am only putting half the mileage and wear on the cars...

The entire secondhand market is on it's back at the moment. It's not just Corrados.

Indeed. Last year I was in my hometown looking for a secondhand car, I went around twelve (yeah, twelve) garages looking to see if there was a forecourt with a secondhander in it yet the only one I could find was a 1992 Mazda MX3.

Evidently, everyone's buying new cars. One of the forecourt managers told me that the cars they take in part-ex were driven to a garage five miles out of the city to be sold on as not to "mess up the forecourt".

Also the introduction of Korean cars in the market means you can pick up a half crap brand new car at the same cost of a packet of crisps, which means second hand sellers will soon be dropping their prices to rocck bottom, and probably waging war on Korea.