Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Corrado vs CTR

maybe argued before but what do you guys make of comments like this?

"15 year old Corrado or 4 year old CTR - I take the CTR THX"

"without a doubt as the CTR is a better car in every aspect you want to anlayse them both"

:?

i very much disagree with the CTR being better in EVERY aspect :lol:

CTRs are v. good, my friend just got rid of his..200bhp factory!

However, the corrado is sexier and has wayyy more presence than a 4yr old CTR imho :p

As I was driving home last I passed a Red, new shape CTR and thought hmmmnn, thats quite smart. 8) A few hundred yards down the road, I pass another red, new shape CTR, then another couple old shape CTRs before I got home.

My conclusion was that they are nice cars & are meant to be great to drive, however, they are common as muck & soul-less!! :lol:

My personal opinion only though you understand! :)

As I was driving home last I passed a Red, new shape CTR and thought hmmmnn, thats quite smart. 8) A few hundred yards down the road, I pass another red, new shape CTR, then another couple old shape CTRs before I got home.

My conclusion was that they are nice cars & are meant to be great to drive, however, they are common as muck & soul-less!! :lol:

My personal opinion only though you understand! :)

yeah i had a similar thought about corrados but then on the way into edition 38 this year i see they're common as muck :lol: 8)

my argument would be they feel very cheaply built for the money and i've never ever seen one driven carefully around town as it seems the majority were company cars and buying a 3/4 year old one menas that you'll inherit all the problems incurred during the careful ownership!

o and if you spent the money a CTR costs on a corrado you could have better suspension and brakes, 300bhp+ leather interior, better stereo and a few choice 'pretty' mods like wheels and lights to make it into a car for your own personal tastes... no brainer in my eyes but i'm biased! o and i cant comfortably fit in a CTR!

driven one - was good fun - but the vtec kick was just a novelty. sounds good though.

they're not miles apart performance wise. although good handlers.

Although I love my Corrado to bits (even when it is actually in bits as it is right now now) I'd give my right arm to own a Ruf CTR.

No contest... sorry...

Sorry - are you talking about the cheap jappy car instead of the real CTR...?

If you want to feel like you're driving a van, buy an 01-06 Civic... it's NOT about the gearstick on the dash.

driven one - was good fun - but the vtec kick was just a novelty. sounds good though.

What kick? :lol:

I've have driven a couple and all I can percieve 'on the cam' is more noise, more harshness and no appreciable extra urge!

As for the sound, to my ears, they just sound like some chav is trying to get 16,000 rpm from his Saxo engine.

What I do like about the CTR is it's gearshift and it's incredible chassis stiffness. Corrado chassis feel very rickety and limp in comparison to the CTR's, but they're going to though, being 11 years older. Nothing a bit of bracing and good coilovers can't cure.

I just don't get the whole VTEC thing. You can get 200hp from a 9A valver with cams, 4 branch and better injection, but you get 165ish torque to go with it, not the Honda's pathetic 142lb/ft.

I admire the engineering, don't get me wrong, I just despise Rhonda owners who think they're driving 911 GT3s.

I've have driven a couple and all I can percieve 'on the cam' is more noise, more harshness and no appreciable extra urge!

As for the sound, to my ears, they just sound like some chav is trying to get 16,000 rpm from his Saxo engine.

What I do like about the CTR is it's gearshift and it's incredible chassis stiffness. Corrado chassis feel very rickety and limp in comparison to the CTR's, but they're going to though, being 11 years older. Nothing a bit of bracing and good coilovers can't cure.

I just don't get the whole VTEC thing. You can get 200hp from a 9A valver with cams, 4 branch and better injection, but you get 165ish torque to go with it, not the Honda's pathetic 142lb/ft.

I admire the engineering, don't get me wrong, I just despise Rhonda owners who think they're driving 911 GT3s.

I think ive just found my future bride! I completly agree with you, whats the point of having 200BHP when you have to go to make your engine scream to get there. My brother in law had an integra Type R for a very short period of time, completly hated it, he found the drive very on/off (most annoying) so then went back to his Prodrive scooby, boy does that thing go!

But what about the interior... don't you just want to throw up when you see where the stick is.. and the god awful red everywhere!!!! :pukeright:

LOL! Put a k02 in an S1 Exige and it has my attention.

Drove my mates 'o4 CTR and thourght it was crap TBH. Stalled it a few times because it has no torque so you can't hold it on the clutch at junctions! It rolled badley in corners and made an annoying noise! He now has a 'teg and its much better, but I still don't like the engine.

It doesn't feel like it has 200 bhp. And it doesn't make me feel special in any way. Besides the fact I wouldn't have another Honda if it were given to me i'd say the negatives out-weigh the positives. Oh, and they look like shit

But what about the interior... don't you just want to throw up when you see where the stick is.. and the god awful red everywhere!!!! :pukeright:

the interior reminds me of the hi-fi section in the argos catalouge :!

Oh come on. this is another hate thread. we all like corrados - sure. but the ctr is not as bad as most of you are making out. it may not be our/your preference or suit our driving wants/style - but its not a bad car. many owners love them - as corrado owners love their cars.

Anyone see the 5th gear test of the UK spec new R type and the jap stripped down version a couple of weeks ago?

Jap one is something like 240bhp I think, was a pretty impressive motor.

Stalled it a few times because it has no torque so you can't hold it on the clutch at junctions!

Erm... lol

Always stumped me how these cars got such good 0-60 times and top speeds with so little torque available. Then it dawned on me one day they must have really close ratio gearboxs made to make the most out of the pathetic high rpm torque. And just found this little snippet

[sub:e61e9]"Putting its power to the ground, the Japanese Civic Type R uses a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with gear ratios tailored to the high-revving nature of the K20A engine. This improves the cars acceleration, and Honda explains that a highly rigid aluminium transmission case (with a baffle plate) helps mitigate oil starvation at high cornering speeds - perfect for track work."[/sub:e61e9]

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/ne ... type-r.htm

F1 cars and bikes have a similar setup with high rpm but they weigh next to nothing and do it all a little higher up the rpm range. It's race technology for the road and I think I wouldn't like it, I think you'd get Repetative Strain Injury from changing gear all the time.