junkie

The Forced Induction 20V Thread

I've run a Quaife syncro 6speed kit with turbo power since 2001 with no problems, engine dyno plots showed 317bhp + 357lb/ft

no problems as yet (crosses fingers). and you also get the lovely straight cut noise in every gear too :D (unlike a lot of the Gemini kits that are still available, mostly 3-6 kits).

I didn't know Quaife did a straight cut box for the 02A/J?

Straight cut boxes are usally dog engagement and you won't find many of those in a road car. The slower you drive them, the more they wear.....

The Gemini is semi-helical (like the current selection of Quaife boxes) and as for the noise of straight cut being desirable, I think that's a matter of preference. I hate it personally.

I personally want the noise but not the hassle of using it on the road. After all after having a BBM charger then the box would be nothing in comparison noise wise.

You'll get noise from semi-helical mate and if you want more noise, fit a poly gearbox mount, or Vibratechnics competition :D

Straight cut doggie style sounds like your grandma mashing cogs in the Sainsburys carpark. They need revs.

Exactly the way i change gears now..... :D

I have all 3 VT comp mounts already, not really that noisy tbh.

I've run a Quaife syncro 6speed kit with turbo power since 2001 with no problems, engine dyno plots showed 317bhp + 357lb/ft

no problems as yet (crosses fingers). and you also get the lovely straight cut noise in every gear too :D (unlike a lot of the Gemini kits that are still available, mostly 3-6 kits).

I didn't know Quaife did a straight cut box for the 02A/J?

Straight cut boxes are usally dog engagement and you won't find many of those in a road car. The slower you drive them, the more they wear.....

The Gemini is semi-helical (like the current selection of Quaife boxes) and as for the noise of straight cut being desirable, I think that's a matter of preference. I hate it personally.

Yea it is still semi helical but the sound is the same.

quaife box i find ideal... i have the syncro kit so not quite as aggressive as the dog engagement type.

I had Quaife build my whole gearbox up for me. seemed like a good idea to make sure that all of it was as new as the gears.

i find the syncro fine on the quaife kit... no probs as yet (touch wood).

Quaife end casing:

mycar001-1.jpg

and the car it all started off in:

stealth1.jpg

right had my 20v in and running for months and love it! but i still haven't got my rev counter working! i am running Qpeng management and have identified which wire from the new ecu is the tacho signal but am not sure as to which wire i should conect this to? the car was originally a 1.8 16v. Does anyone know what colour wire is the tacho on the original engine? do i need a tacho/converter driver? and if not does anyone know which pin at the instrument cluster is the tacho? thanks for any help

right had my 20v in and running for months and love it! but i still haven't got my rev counter working! i am running Qpeng management and have identified which wire from the new ecu is the tacho signal but am not sure as to which wire i should conect this to? the car was originally a 1.8 16v. Does anyone know what colour wire is the tacho on the original engine? do i need a tacho/converter driver? and if not does anyone know which pin at the instrument cluster is the tacho? thanks for any help

if ya qpeng then on the mbe unit to ya origional ecu wire.

i mite beable to tell ya what colour wire it was on myn but myns a 1995 16v :)

it was green and blue that runs myn if you have one left :)

Currently part way through a 20v conversion on a '95 2.0 16v corrado, took the tacho wire from clocks, which is the green/blue wire in engine bay straight to the new ecu. tacho works without any convertor. Yours may have differant coloured wires being a 1.8, I'll check th qpeng guide if I get a chance.

hi there help please i got a company doing a 20v swop from an s3 wit a ko4 turbo and im going to be running a stand alone management system but what down pipe do i need many thanks adam

I have one quick question.

AGU engine number.

I am planning someting about 350hp + 50hm nitro shot.Can the stock engine handle :) that power.I heared thet pistons and rods are forgged?It is about 1.8bar

Sry for my english :)

I'm currently sourcing an engine for a 20vt conversion. However I have a slightly dumb question, will changing the engine alter the road tax band I'm in? I ask this because if I use a BAM engine which I've been offered from a TT/S3, the Co2 emissions mean these cars fall within the £400 band, will this mean the corrad will now fall intothis catagory?

I've been looking into 1.8t conversions into my G60, I dont have the skill to do it myself and dont really know anybody who could do it for me so Im looking at getting it done at a garage.

TSR performance are looking good if a bit pricey but it seems to be a thourugh job and replaces the gearbox (mine is s******d)

http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/transplant.asp

MV Developments

http://mvdevelopments.co.uk/whatwedo.html

The Phirm

http://www.thephirm.co.uk/Pages/Article ... onversions

Storm Developments

http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/vw-e ... rsion.html

JTech

http://www.jtechautomotive.co.uk/performance-tuning.htm

Does anybody have any experience with any of those? Or recommendations, im down south but will travel.

Other thing im wondering about is how low does the 1.8t engine sit in relation to the G60? Will I still be able run silly low or will the engine be on the floor?!

Thanks,

Alex

Can the stock engine handle :) that power.I heared thet pistons and rods are forgged?It is about 1.8bar

I have read something about that, that AGU internals are forged. crankshaft is forged, but I doubt that rods and pistons are also forged :D

1.8T 225 yes, including rods and pistons.

Well i also heard that this engine is one of few stock engines with all internals forged :)

Now i dont know is this true or not... :shrug:

I'm currently sourcing an engine for a 20vt conversion. However I have a slightly dumb question, will changing the engine alter the road tax band I'm in? I ask this because if I use a BAM engine which I've been offered from a TT/S3, the Co2 emissions mean these cars fall within the £400 band, will this mean the corrad will now fall intothis catagory?

As far as I'm aware, the 225 engine in the TT and S3 produces around 220-odd g/km. That keeps it in VED band F, meaning in 2010 you'd still 'only' be looking at £245. The V6 models are in the higher band. The same 225 engine in a lighter, 2WD Leon Cupra R only produces 211 g/km.

However, none of this is relevant as your car will be taxed based on it's age from the date of registration.

Can the stock engine handle :) that power.I heared thet pistons and rods are forgged?It is about 1.8bar

I have read something about that, that AGU internals are forged. crankshaft is forged, but I doubt that rods and pistons are also forged :D

1.8T 225 yes, including rods and pistons.

AGU rods and pistons are forged. Only(bottom end) difference is the cr. 9.5:1 AGU 9.0:1 225

:)

Seen a few 1.8Ts in bits and the rods and pistons always looked like regular cast items to me, particularly the rods..... looked stock 16V to me? Could be wrong though :D

Watched an S3 engine bend a standard rod like cheese on Stealth's dyno....

The result of a GT28RS trying to run over a bar of boost with the stock manifold and exhaust.....too much back pressure :D

I've been looking into 1.8t conversions into my G60, I dont have the skill to do it myself and dont really know anybody who could do it for me so Im looking at getting it done at a garage.

TSR performance are looking good if a bit pricey but it seems to be a thourugh job and replaces the gearbox (mine is s******d)

http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/transplant.asp

MV Developments

http://mvdevelopments.co.uk/whatwedo.html

The Phirm

http://www.thephirm.co.uk/Pages/Article ... onversions

Storm Developments

http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/vw-e ... rsion.html

JTech

http://www.jtechautomotive.co.uk/performance-tuning.htm

Does anybody have any experience with any of those? Or recommendations, im down south but will travel.

Other thing im wondering about is how low does the 1.8t engine sit in relation to the G60? Will I still be able run silly low or will the engine be on the floor?!

Thanks,

Alex

Try AndyClimax Racing, Based Just near Croft Racing circuit in Darlington! Did the conversion on mine and they did a cracking job! Didn't cost me huge amounts either really!!!

If you want their number give me a shout :)

Steve

Dropping my car off on saturday to have the 20vt fitted, not at any of the garages listed above.

Thanks though mate I'd have definaltly given them a ring otherwise.