Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

What's your biggest garage bill?

Crikey! Yeah definitely feeling a bit better about my bill now...

I'm lucky that I have a mechanic I can trust who is cheap and very very good, but I'm thinking I really need to start doing more stuff myself, being a bit more bold, and saving myself a packet in the process.

£2850

for my old mk2 valver

1.9 rebore, head porting and a new clutch if that's how you spell that ?, nice to see it pushing 168 bhp , took it to inters and got 16.8 don't know if that's good or bad.

Ash

Ive had my VR since the end of March. Since then ive spent the following:

1. Service £465

2. BMC CDA £170

3. 17" BBS RX £1100

4. Complete cooling system overhaul £590

Obviously not one bill but quite an expenditure in a short space of time.

Only £270.05, so I feel a bit blessed, looking at some of these. The again, I've never gone in for modding, and always bought standard, well looked after, FSH Cs, so I've never had anything big go bang.

How much I would spend on one if I came up on the lottery, now that's a different matter...

Well so far it looks like I'm still in the lead on this one. Do I get a prize? Better still can I have a donation towards my poverty fund?

:D

Well so far it looks like I'm still in the lead on this one. Do I get a prize? Better still can I have a donation towards my poverty fund?

I don't think im far behind you mate, but not adding my bills up :lol:

I don't think im far behind you mate, but not adding my bills up :lol:

Let me up the stakes a bit by adding that I was already almost £2k into the car already this year BEFORE I incurred the one I mentioned on Page 1.

I am clearly mad and in need of help...

If you love your car enough you can justify spending well over its worth in parts to keep it in working order. Its all part of owning a (semi) classic car. I love mine to bits (which it hopefully won't become) and can't see myself selling it unless I have 3 kids and ludicrous debt. Otherwise, I will keep it by hook or by crook. I suppose if we didn't have the passion we'd all be driving Honda Accords!

Well I have 3 kids and ludicrous debt but still got the C. Hook or by crook includes having to wait to get it lowered cos the missus wants a dishwasher. :?

Biggest ever bill was just shy of £1,000 when the cam belt on my valver went the very day before it was due to be replaced! Was also the day of the London bombings which put it all into perspective really.

Add up the amount you save on depreciation if you regularly replaced a car and the cost of Corrado ownership ain't too bad. That an getting 40P a mile for work mileage continues to make it a viable proposition not that economics has got anything to do with it if I'm honest :)

If it makes you guys feel any better about the costs of running a Corrado, I knew of a guy who trashed a gearbox on an Audi RS4 (B5) through hammering it up the drag strip at Crail. The car was only 6 months old at the time (2001) and Audi quoted over £14,000 for the parts alone. Ouch.

And... because he's chipped the engine it wasn't under warranty....

Yup, as mentioned previously, I did spent a frankly insane £7,000-odd on my Corrado last year, doing lots of things that I had wanted to do but didn't have the money.

But surely this thread is pointless with Kev "my pockets have no limits" Hayward around?

Well in April incurred another £1,700 bill (I actually negotiated that one down!) and am due another one in a couple of weeks' time.

I'm now well & truly past "ridiculous sums" on this build and into a rather surreal dimension where it has actually occurred to me that running a Ferrari for the past 12 months would have actually been (significantly) cheaper... oh well at least I have a decent German car and not some trumped up product from the Fiat empire eh :(

corozin, do you have a build thread or mini site anywhere? Want to read about you tuning route. If you havnt, pull your finger out man and get a thread started in the members gallery!

Oh and I've spent rather alot on my C in the last two years - not a single bill, or even all garage bills but would say around £5k!!

Why did I just do that quick sum? :(

Still, thats including a go at force feeding, rebuilding an engine, set of spanking new 17" RX's and a 24v conversion.

Only money, cant take it with you. :wave:

corozin, do you have a build thread or mini site anywhere? Want to read about you tuning route. If you havnt, pull your finger out man and get a thread started in the members gallery!

Oh and I've spent rather alot on my C in the last two years - not a single bill, or even all garage bills but would say around £5k!!

Why did I just do that quick sum? :(

Still, thats including a go at force feeding, rebuilding an engine, set of spanking new 17" RX's and a 24v conversion.

Only money, cant take it with you. :wave:

The story of this car will end up on the Coupehaus site in the coming months, as I promised BiggerBigBen I would. To be honest the build isn't a "looker" as anyone who's seen it (e.g. at Stanford Hall this year - it was the ratty one in the corner that nobody photographed) will confirm. I still have some plans to do something radical with the bodywork, but I'm over-budget already so that may have to wait a little bit.

My attitude to the costs is like yours ("can't take it with you"). I know I can't take to the grave, but to have some left over to nip to the pub with would be nice! Will be at CCGB Nat Day with it if you want to take a peek (and listen to the kind of idle noise you only get with 284 cams)

Cheers,

John

£4000 since Jan this year.

New front subframe

New steering column/rack

New wish bones

Uprated headlights

New o/s CV joint

New brake fluid pipes

BBS alloys x 5

Next month rear subframe and bushes :shock: :shock: :shock:

i brought my vr6 in 2001 as the 2nd owner with 22567 miles on the clock

between then and 3 months ago i serviced it (oil brakes fluids etc etc ) and have never had a problem and really has never cost me a penny apart from the normal running costs

just since then i have installed a moon roof got lowering springs untill i can get enough cash for a set of kw's

got a set of bbs lm's (replicas) and toyo r888 sorted brought a bentley manual got a vag com key lead

replaced the crack pipe and thermostat housing new nearside wishbone and rubbers ball ends and trackrod ends replaced the nearside

abs sensor going to upgrade the brakes all round and get the body work back to A1. i guess then ill get it mot'ed and taxed

looking at spending around £4500 all in all and once i have done that i think some kind of forced induction would not go a miss in the winter

and to top it off i have got 3 kids but i am not going to sell my corrado

just something about it makes you smile everytime you see it and drive it

kel

What's your biggest garage bill?

1* Garage. £23000 + VAT

;)

Ask Vince@Stealth how much he paid for his Garage!

Nissan 300zx tt...recon gearbox £3500 then £1500 when that one blew too..

Refurb turbos £1100.

Biggest bill was keeping the 15-20mpg going!!!. lol

funny that, thats why i purchased my corrado

i was going to buy a nissan skyline gtr v spec but knew i would need shares in shell and i also enjoy having a driving licence

they are soooooo quick you just want to drive everywere at 180 mph cause it can

although the corrado is quick it was a more sensible cost effective drive at the time in 2001

although its costing a bomb now but that is my choice on upgrades as garage bills have been very low touch wood

kel

although the corrado is quick it was a more sensible cost effective drive at the time in 2001

although its costing a bomb now but that is my choice on upgrades as garage bills have been very low touch wood

I wish you luck - that was exactly what I thought. Problem with modifying is once you pop you just can't stop !

Hope you get on with the R888s BTW. Be careful in the wet !

Apparently I've spent £50,568 on my Corrado over 11 years in depreciation, fuel, tyres, servicing, repairs and upgrades, but not including insurance and tax.

See

http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=128

You SO missed that apex, dude.. LOL ;)

Really, you've spent about £17k. The fuel and depreciation you'd have had to pay for any car in the same time .. Works out at about £760 per year on repairs the same again on modifications. I think anyone who owned a VR6 and only spent £760/yr on repairs would be pretty bloody happy with that!

You SO missed that apex, dude.. LOL ;)

The picture in the profile? That's the final chicane at Thruxton, so you don't clip the apex on that bend because of the next one. :)

The Corrado really dances through that chicane - I love it.