KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

I was going to go over mine with a sander to smooth the pitting now it's blasted.

What are the big bent box section parts and the big piece on the top right of the first pic please?

I was going to go over mine with a sander to smooth the pitting now it's blasted.

What are the big bent box section parts and the big piece on the top right of the first pic please?

Hi Chris, the bent bits are the bumper irons that sit inside the front and rear bumpers, they bolt to the triangular brackets in the foreground.

The top right thing is the radiator support panel which sits on top of the engine support section.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks Kip! Perfect sense. You'll have to post up a pic of the car with this lot missing!

Are you going for the nylon powder coat?

Top work by the way!!!

I've asked them to get as close to standard finish as poss as i've shown them a patch of original finish on the subframe and it came back as near as damnit so quite happy with that. :) just hope this next batch is as good too.

making some great progress,some serious amount of work going in well done mate

Hope to collect it all on friday if it's done. Hope so our I'll forget where it all goes lol!

Done all mine with dremel and sandpaper so far, still got rad support to do.

How did you get inside the front bumper iron lol, proper awkward.

Would you have any tips for re doing the wax inside the sills?

The plugs in floor underneath only seem to do the floor

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Didn't really need to get inside the bumper irons as it wasn't too bad to be honest. For getting into the sills its good to take off the rear door cards and check in there, i used dinotrol cavity wax too which sets a bit harder than waxoil.

You can access the front of the sill behind the front wheel arch liner where it meets the sill at the bottom. :)

Whoop! Got my bit's back from coating and the finish is superb, couple of things i'm not overly happy with but when it's all on it wont be seen :)

What you think?

Also took the caliper carriers over to Bruny's for a go with his sand blaster, gosh that is a slow job but the results look great and once they have a coat of paint they'll look great no doubt.

Must say a massive thanks to Dave Brunyee for the use of his most excellent facilities at the Corrado restoration yard :)

I've said it before but there is something about freshly powder coated parts! What type of powder coat did you get in the end ad is it a satin finish? Woudnt mind the same on mine.

Hi Chris, it's actually Nylon coated which is far more durable to the elements and occasional knocks, not that i hope it gets any :lol: we live near a company called Batchglow who do all sorts of stuff including handrails on public transport and hospital door handles and the like.

Well worth the trip to these guys as the cost is pretty good too, this little lot was £110 total including sandblasting first which i think is very good value :)

I am taking my time mate as i also have loads of other stuff to do, not to mention the Tour de France being on which is slowing progress considerably :lol:

At this rate it wont be done for tatton either :/

Cheers Paul, that is a good price. We have a local company that I use at work so will check if they do the nylon first.

Have you got a picture of the car with this lot missing? I found some pictures of your car and Gareth's from a summer nights meet back from around 2003, will post them up.

Wow remember that meet :) what you wanna see in particular? i'll get shots for you and upload em, am currently scraping off any suspect underseal at the moment too as i have a few areas that need treating.

Was a bit hacked off about this to be honest but it is only superficial and easily sorted but it is making me wonder about some of the so called mint cars out their that are rotting away as i speak, it looked fine until i cut the sealant away Gulp :lol:

I just like pictures!!

If yours has the dreaded tin worm, I dread to think what may lie in mine. Where is the rust? What mileage is on yours and how much of it have you done, was it used as a daily at all?

It isn't so bad that it was a major concern mate, it just surprised me a bit, it's mainly around the rear section between the bumper and fuel tank around the turret type bracket that they use at the factory. And it's mainly on the drivers side as i'm sure the exhaust heat protects the other side somewhat better.

like I say it's just superficial and glad I spotted it but it's going to slow the job down a bit but i like to do things right and beyond rather than just whack it all back together.

I know i'm lucky I can take my time too. :)

Those beams have me salivating. Really should have a "Not safe for work" warning on the post though !

Feeling the comment about hidden rust though. For the past couple of nights I've been crawling about under the car, cleaning 20 years worth of dirt and grease off the underside. Found a couple of small rough patches in the same places you mention.

Until I start cutting back, it aint arf' making me a bit nervous.

What brand of underseal do you use for patching up ? Don't want to buy a grey sealer and find it a vastly different shade than OE.

Edited by James.

Hi Paul good to see progress is always on the agenda! Those nylon powder coated bits look great, all the flappy business was worth it! Reminds me a little of when I did the underside of mine and found that there were a few places that were a little rusty. Did you check around the studs that you attach the brake lines and heat shield with? Also up in the wheel

arches I found some, infact I did a thread on it somewhere. What's amazing is that it wasn't very bad at all, after 15 years of daily driving- you would never have that much protection on modern cars just look at the problems they are having with mk5 Golf wheel arches even up to 06 plate..

Always enjoy the updates keep them coming :-)