KIPVW

Kip's Members Thread

Stirling work Paul. Are those new heat shields, or have you breathed new life into them ? If so, what did you do/use ?

Mine are heavily corroded / pitted and am unsure which route to take next.

James, just blinged them up with a little wire wool and GT85.

Hopefully get the subframe tidied up later today but god i ache from head to toe :lol:

---------- Post added at 9:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:06 AM ----------

Cheers for the comments too chaps but Rich, perfection does not exist but I like to sail pretty close to it ;)

James, just blinged them up with a little wire wool and GT85.

Hopefully get the subframe tidied up later today but god i ache from head to toe :lol:

---------- Post added at 9:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:06 AM ----------

Cheers for the comments too chaps but Rich, perfection does not exist but I like to sail pretty close to it ;)

Think this car will get close.......... must dig mine out....

but god i ache from head to toe :lol:

I love that feeling though after a days hard graft on the car, as long as it was productive :)

Jay

Well been at it a while now on and off but Stanford hall is fast approaching and i really dont think i'm gonna finish it in time :(

Got off the subframe and had it coated and collected that today along with the other bits and it looks superb, I spent quite a long time with the drill and various atachments prepping it all before it was sand blasted to get a better finish :)

Just hope it all goes back smoothly as got the back end to sort out aswell, hoping to make some good progress and get most of it back on this weekend but the chore of cleaning everything is slowing me down a bit.

Gotta get the brake lines on too so not loooking forward to that, are they easy enough to do? i have a full set of solid lines and new flexi's so should i just cut them off and stop worrying? any tips on this job would be great.

Blinged up a set of discs too ready for when all goes back on :)

Edited by KIPVW

Mmm, there's something about freshly powder coated parts!!

Have you spray painted the whole disc? Does it burn off the braking face ok?

Mmm, there's something about freshly powder coated parts!!

Have you spray painted the whole disc? Does it burn off the braking face ok?

Hi Mate, I masked the front sections but not the rear of them, i'll scrape a bit off with a stanley blade once all done off the rear face as i like to get the inner/outer edges where the pads miss the disc a bit of paint too otherwise they go rusty pronto. come and see it at a show sometime :) they look smashing lol!

Hi Mate, I masked the front sections but not the rear of them, i'll scrape a bit off with a stanley blade once all done off the rear face as i like to get the inner/outer edges where the pads miss the disc a bit of paint too otherwise they go rusty pronto. come and see it at a show sometime :) they look smashing lol!

If I ever get the chance to make it to a show I certainly will! I want to have a good nosey over it. If not I may have to try and pop over to see you.

I've got mine to do next.

I love freshly powdered parts too, looking good Paul. Did you get round to sorting your gutter strip mountings?

Don't forget to put the colour codes back on those coil springs ..... :ignore:

I love freshly powdered parts too, looking good Paul. Did you get round to sorting your gutter strip mountings?

I think it;s how the new ones are made Dave as the ones on the nugget (new) are the same which is annoying.

---------- Post added at 7:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:09 AM ----------

Don't forget to put the colour codes back on those coil springs ..... :ignore:

It hasn't been overlooked Sir :)

Acid 8 as a primer then halfords caliper paint for the silver ;)

Hope you had a good hol :)

Well had a decent evening building up the subframe in the kitchen last night as you do :lol: but have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

Does the rear wishbone bush have one of the thin tin sleeves inside it to pack out the bolt or not? there were none fitted when i removed them but i'm wondering if the guy who fitted the wishbones 7 years ago didn't fit them. It does look like it'd be a struggle getting them in though, any help gratefully received.

See pic below.

Next one is about the torque settings on the front & rear wishbone bolts, the Bentley Manual states the front wishbone bolt is 50Nm and the rear one is 70Nm is this correct? reason I ask is that for the 4 cylinder cars it's 130Nm & 130Nm quite a difference so a bit concerned here.

Your comments welcome :)

Edited by KIPVW

If you have R32 bushes they dont use the sleeve.

As for the torque settings I am sure I used the higher ones, but might be wrong....

Jay

Ive never seen the sleeve before and its never been mentioned to me by the vw parts guys.

Should I have them, standard late vr?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Ive never seen the sleeve before and its never been mentioned to me by the vw parts guys.

Should I have them, standard late vr?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Pretty sure earlier four cylinders had them,not sure about later models

According to ETKA, only the non VR6 models have this shown on the front wishbone diagrams. I've also not come across this, but then I've only ever worked on VR6's

No sleeves present on my wishbones when I removed them. And judging by the condition of the parts, I have no reason to believe that they have ever been replaced.

50/70 nm sounds about right for the bolts. Not quite sure how you'd get 130 on one of those bolts without it shearing though !

Cheers for that guys, I didn't use them so i'll keep em for the nugget :) i was sure thery weren't used but just wanted to check.

Well a right old day today, fitted a new brake fruid reservoir and grommets and a set of the hard brake lines from Alex AKA Volksworld13, they are truley a superb fit and every credit to you Alex but jesus the off side front one is a complete pain to get into place, mucho swearing amigos did the trick Lol! Judith stayed well clear :) but all fitted now and the rear ones also in place for when the beam comes off this week :/

Also got the freshly blinged up subframe and wishbones back on with a massive help from Chris AKA VagHag & Judith too. Thanks you two you know it's appreciated.

But what a total ****ttter lining up the steering rack spline Arghhhhhh! got there in the end and packed up at 10.45 pm so a good old session was had by all, till tomorrow anyway :)