Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

VR6 quick update and stories of woe :(

Sorry to hear about your woes mate. Here's a thought, could you not source a 2.8 block and get it bored out to 2.9, and rebuilt whilst its in pieces.

Then you'd know your bottom end is ok, and you'd have the displacement you want...

:shrug:

Jim,

I am very very sorry to hear of the heart ache this is giving you and I think many of us can sympathise to varying degrees.

I am sure you are feeling pretty low about it all but as you say, you need to wait to hear the full story then take some time out to let it all sink in before starting to think about the available options.

Hold tight, take a deep breath and give it enough time before rushing into a decision.

Best wishes,

J

839 euro for a bracket! sod that. what's it made out of, platinum? :shock:

Jim,

I am very very sorry to hear of the heart ache this is giving you and I think many of us can sympathise to varying degrees.

I am sure you are feeling pretty low about it all but as you say, you need to wait to hear the full story then take some time out to let it all sink in before starting to think about the available options.

Hold tight, take a deep breath and give it enough time before rushing into a decision.

Best wishes,

J

Thanks Judith, I'm trying my best to stay calm and not chuck my keyboard accross the office. Time is a great healer and all, but this has been dragging on for so long I feel a tad frazzled. I just want it sorted and a car back on my drive that I can drool over out my window.

What you want is a magic wand.... and if I had one I would gladly lend it to every Corrado owner in the land (me sounding like a fairy Godmother there......!)

I know, you want it sorted, you want it sorted now, and you want it sorted now with no cost or additional stress......

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

I'm sorry I can't help and can only offer my sympathy and to wish you a speedy resolution.

Shit the bed, i didn't think it would be that bad dude! But i think you should stick with it - mine was off the road for the best part of a year before i fell back in love and got it back on the road. I'm sure the others can give better advice as to what you should do, but it would be a shame for another good rado to go to waste

If you don't use it that much just hold off let the credit card breathe a bit and save a bit of money.

Easy for me to say but i have just paid mine off and i am loathed to put any car modification parts on it again.Lloyds tsb make enough money from me as it is thanks very much. :censored:

Even if its just 200-300 pounds you save thats £300 less on the C card.

The thing of it is you'll want to build a strong bottom end.

The difference between a AAA and a ABV is negligable anyhow,most of the difference imho was the combo of the intake manifold and throttle body, supposedly the cams are slightly different but ive had both sets together and i couldnt see fook all difference!,

The reality is you wouldnt notice having a AAA in there, the fact you can buy a complete Golf VR6 for fook all, nick the engine and sell the rest would be the easy and cheap way out...

The difference between a AAA and a ABV is negligable anyhow,most of the difference imho was the combo of the intake manifold and throttle body, supposedly the cams are slightly different but ive had both sets together and i couldnt see fook all difference!,

The reality is you wouldnt notice having a AAA in there, the fact you can buy a complete Golf VR6 for fook all, nick the engine and sell the rest would be the easy and cheap way out...

and i could have the obd2 stuff :norty:

That's a bit of a turd Jim, but to be fair, it's far from standard, and gets driven like it's meant to, so you will see issues sooner or later. Sadly it's a bit sooner for you.

Tandino speaks a lot of sense, a good solid 2.8 would last you a long time, and there would be no second guessing the engine, you'd know exactly where you are. Or go the whole hog, get building up a turbot lump. Spend the next few months wandering aimlessly, saving cash and building an appreciation for motorised transport, and you'll be happier than me, at a scat party. :tongue:

If it makes you feel any better, looks like my VR will be stripped completely down again this summer, possibly having engine work, definitely getting a rebuilt gearbox after my £35 special turned out to be a bit crap.

Sound like terrible news spotted this on ebay last night: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT could be just what you need!

thats a bit of a non starter, late bora 12v engine that is not a direct fit, almost like a US spec lump.

Buy a complete car, you know it makes sense, that way you sell off all the bits you dont use and it costs you nothing...

i'd go with Petes sugestion of getting a AAA in there, there will be negligable difference and the block will most likely be in much better condition than an ABV. They are easy to source and you would have your car back on the road with minimal cost.

Gutted for you mate, but if everything is working fine with the V9 then I'd just get yourself another block (or even better a low miles AAA lump) and whack it in there.

No doubt you've spoken to Dave but if you need the car back on the road in a hurry and on the cheap I'm sure he's got something in the workshop that you can steal... :wink:

So sorry to hear this mate :(

I can only offer my sympathy.

But I was having a good look around your car the day after it arrived at DG and must say it was looking good and I can remember the noise it made at the RR day :shock: :luvlove:

Best of luck and I'm shore you know its in the best hands to get it fixed

As above really, had time to think last night and I will get her back on the road. Somehow, someway.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

good lad, you know it makes sense!!! if its any conciliation, i havent drove my VRT for 5 months at least... it needs a load of work doing to

Id even be tempted to use a 2.8 rather than the ABV if i was going for silly power, they seem to be more tolerant of abuse and dont seem to suffer the bore problems as bad as the 2.9...

Yeah with my experiences of ABV engines, that's what I would do too.

Find a decent AAA lump, throw it in and move on :D

but i won't have as much powerrrrrrr then and i'm maxxed out on what the V9 can do. :shrug:

When it comes to boost, the tiny difference in capacity won't make the slightest difference as the others have said :D

I don't know what it is with the 2.8 lump but it seems to be tougher than the 2.9.

Put it this way, I've never seen a Golf VR6 smoke on the over run, but I've seen plenty of Corrado VR6s belching out the blue.

Put it another way. I spent a huge sum rebuilding my ABV block with tasty JE pistons and it failed almost immediately. Tried again, with a AAA block out of a late OBD2 car, and that's been perfect for 45+K miles and still putting down stump pulling torque :D

Not that you needed any more convincing, but I thought as it's Wednesday and I've eaten all my easter eggs, I'd throw that extra info into the melting pot....

Really pleased that today is a lot more positive for you than yesterday.

Go for it mate and make the old girl even better than before :notworthy:

The fuel rail is rusted, which I find very odd indeed. Water in the fuel maybe? But then it would have had to be running rough for a while surely? (like Jim's valver?) Anyway, pic....