boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

No and not sure! Been at uni all day mate, plus I got a 9-8 tomorrow :|

U/J tried to be delivered today so I will have to pick that up sometime.

MOT runs out friday but it's not getting retested anytime soon, needs the rear beam doing yet.

As long as I can sort the steering out, it's coming off the stands ASAP and driven over to the new house where it will go back on the stands! :drinking:

I hope so, would be nice to resurrect it! :nuts:

sold that Mk2 Golf Subframe on the bay for a criminally low price but at least it's income.

Would have been nice to have got the 280s put on at the same time, but can't stretch to discs and pads plus the calipers are in dire need of an overhaul!

SO the plum is back down on it's wheels, and working quite well. We adjusted the rack this evening, got it set the same on both sides but with some massive toe out, so we decided to give it another go. Readjusted it and it's now got too much toe-in :gag: so we're gonna readjust it so it's driveable and then take it for alignment tomorrow hopefully...

Although... the MOT runs out after tomorrow (last day) so I may not get it aligned...but I do need to move the car. Perhaps I will just adjust it again so it's movable.

Coolant system seems completely fine which is good news. PAS system still off the car, but rack is fine to work 'dry' as it's generously lubricated inside the pinion. It'll be fine to move 1 mile to the other house anyways, then back up on the stands.

A shame now it's driveable again, but the rear beam needs swapping out. Ho hum.

More updates as and when, will try to get UJ photos up tomorrow.

Well, I did get it aligned this morning just so I could use it to move some stuff out of Prod's house and into my new student place, but as the MOT runs out tonight I have left it over there on the drive.

Car ran really well, oil temp peaked at 106 on the way over there this morning but on the way back barely passed 102 so it's all back to normal I think :grin: will have a look at the head gasket another time I think.

Also got the alignment place to push my cross-member bushes in which they included in the labour for the alignment! Top job :clap:

Hopefully be over in my new place properly this weekend, and work will recommence on the plum in between uni stuff :|

Just wanted to add how chuffed I was with my new found handling and steering. The replacement rack really is spot on and it's not even powered yet! Well happy with hoe the DIY refurb rack turned out :clap:

I had some reserved thoughts about the gas shocks; they seemed a lot softer initially, but the ride quality really is very good as Supercharged says. I notice a tiny bit of body roll but with stock springs and ARB this isn't surprising in the least.

Gutted the car's off the road now, I'm hankering for another drive :norty:

looking forward to seeing this rado, can still remember it from the day we meet up outside halfords

are you going to be attending this south coast meet on the 26th? ive got all those spare water hoses to give to you if you are.

I hear your having some large brakes for lunch tomorrow?

Why yes I am! I will have to send an update when they are delivered to me ;)

looking forward to seeing this rado, can still remember it from the day we meet up outside halfords

are you going to be attending this south coast meet on the 26th? ive got all those spare water hoses to give to you if you are.

Ah yeah chris, good times! Still got that bench, I should put it in sometime.

Not sure if i'll make the 26th as car is off the road now until the rear beam is assembled and swapped over. Then I got to do my windows and a couple of other little things for the new MOT :salute:

I'll see if Prod wants to come down though, maybe I can get a lift in the G60.

Last few pics:

image073cl0.jpg

Forgot how hard UJs are to line up! Much thanks to ProdigalSon for helping at the column end.

image077st5.jpg

Finally got it on and bolted up both ends. YES!

image088bj0.jpg

Rad support panel brush hammerited. Not pretty but it'll do.

image089hs6.jpg

Could do with some waxoyl in the cavity really, i'll have to pick up another can before I put it on.

image082iz1.jpg

Cross member with bushes pushed in.

image083ya5.jpg

Garage did this at the same time as my alignment and charged me 1 hours labour for everything. Even did Prod's one too! :clap:

image084xt6.jpg

Wax mechanical.

image087mr1.jpg

That should last a while hopefully.

image095ec2.jpg

Someone dropped these off a minute ago :grin: Unfortunately I'm just holding them for a special friend :camp:

Ah yeah chris, good times! Still got that bench, I should put it in sometime.

Not sure if i'll make the 26th as car is off the road now until the rear beam is assembled and swapped over. Then I got to do my windows and a couple of other little things for the new MOT :salute:

I'll see if Prod wants to come down though, maybe I can get a lift in the G60.[/quote:2qs0ane2]

you still havent put it in yet! :D i guess i can let you off, youve been busy rebuilding and writting up :salute:

pester him into coming, looks like theres gonna be quite the turn out.

those brembo calipers look awesome! maybe a stupid question but whats the smallest size wheel you can run with them?

yeah i'll harass him for sure :D

no idea on the wheel size mate, not up on that kind of thing i'm afraid :pale:

good good :)

not a prob about the brake thing, im just curious, thinking about buying new front calipers if i decide to go turbo, dont wanna lose the rm's though :?

We had a guest lecture by Geoff Goddard last night, he was the chief engineer at Cosworth when the legendary YB engine was being made, and is full of fascinating stories!

Did you know the force on cylinder head bolts when fuel combusts is around 12 tons?

And that pistons in racing engines can accelerate up the bore faster than a bullet?

very cool stuff.

We had a guest lecture by Geoff Goddard last night, he was the chief engineer at Cosworth when the legendary YB engine was being made, and is full of fascinating stories!

Did you know the force on cylinder head bolts when fuel combusts is around 12 tons?

And that pistons in racing engines can accelerate up the bore faster than a bullet?

very cool stuff.

sounds very cool mate.

Would of loved to sit in on that tone.

:)

Pico update here, not much doing apart from pic hosting at the mo! Getting ready to put the car up at my new place.

image006ra5.jpg

Car as it has been since last Friday when the car ran out of MOT: kinda slung on the drive at a jaunty angle! :oops:

image007wc5.jpg

Haven't got access to the garage yet, hence the makeshift Bike security :lol: :cuckoo:

image008ib4.jpg

Apparently it rained last night, little arty shot for you :wink:

image009iz6.jpg

Bodywork still holding up, gave it a quick glym wash yesterday just to remove the dirty marks post-subframe install.

image010ps2.jpg

Moved the car across the driveway, there's a triangular space in front of the bay window which is ideal to sling a C in whilst it's living on stilts.

image011dj1.jpg

Colour co-ordinated 8) :grin:

image013nr9.jpg

Pic through the mottled glass on the front door! :nuts:

Been to get the tools from ProdigalSon's house :salute: and cracked on with the help of a uni mate.

image014cs3.jpg

Car up and wheels off.

image015nw5.jpg

Calipers came off really easily, and even the join from hard-soft brake line was simple! Plusgas is my friend :luvlove:

image016eg4.jpg

Carrier bolts of doom. Why are they round on the outside and why do they have female allen heads? :confused4:

image017rx1.jpg

#Erwin Erwin you're the man, if you can't do it no-one can!#

image018pi1.jpg

Looks like Erwin's still got it.

image019dj6.jpg

Disc and bearing very easy to come off, rear plate and stub axle definitely seen better days.

image020ap5.jpg

Erwin had those too :grin: Erwin+Plusgas = unbeatable.

image021hw4.jpg

Breaking for lunch now, but after it's the Erwin on the carriers, then disc and bearing off, then Erwin the stub axle bolts and both sides are done :salute:

image022nr3.jpg

OS hard brake line got a bit twisted in the caliper removal - usable or replace it? :shrug:

More updates after lunch, might even get the whole beam off today :clap:

Got the OS stripped back to just the beam, but all the brake lines are being annoying: most of the other hard:soft connections are corroded and looks like I may have to junk all the hard lines and get some more made up :/

Managed to remove the large bushing bolts but without removing the brake lines it won't drop down easily, plus the lower suspension bolts are giving even the Erwin a run for it's money :sad:

one good thing i've found is that the brake pressure regulator has been renewed recently: I'll see if it's keepable when I get those brakes lines disconnected from it.

yeah cheers guys :salute: deffo gonna replace them both.

the lines aren't too willing to come out of the BP Reg either so i might be making up some of the long ones too :pale:

ho hum.

Cracked on with the rear beam again today, knew I had to cut the old brake lines out which were the main issue, so felt quietly confident that I could get it all off today :salute: As always, a torrent of pictures await...

image005lx8.jpg

Brake lines still reluctant to move from the BPR :bad-words:

image012um3.jpg

Only way this one would come out. Oh well.

image024yv0.jpg

When it rains, it pours... :pale:

image026xv1.jpg

Erwin to the rescue :grin:

image027yi2.jpg

Who's your daddy?

image067ta5.jpg

image068gi3.jpg

BPR shots. Looks ok doesn't it! Threads still clean, possibly reusable.

image032qu2.jpg

Loosened the beam bush bolts last week, but these brake hoses are covering the heads of them so you can't get them out. Took out a nice chunk of frustration on both of them with help from some wire cutters.. GRRNRRRRNNNGGH.

image035in6.jpg

End of the hose I snipped in half, managed to pull the dead end through and off the beam which allowed me to get the big bolts out.

image028cd6.jpg

Lower suspension to beam bolt - VERY stubborn.

image029xh2.jpg

Hmm, that would be why then. Where's the PlusGas...?

image033an1.jpg

Nut started to spin so I prised the plate off the back of them to get a spanner over the top of it and stop this nonsense.

image034bs3.jpg

Double teamed. There's zero room to beef those bolts off, took me ages and my arms hurt after even though I had a 2ft bar which barely stuck out the back of the car for some proper leverage! :/

image036lw6.jpg

He lost.

image037ps1.jpg

So did he.

image038dt5.jpg

More losers. Do not test my 2ft breaker with Torque-o-matic attachment (me) :robot:

image001oq2.jpg

Started in the boot, loosening suspension top mounts.

image002pn8.jpg

Got the speaker plates off after I found that pesky little screw hiding behind the rear seat upright! :p

image003sc0.jpg

That's right.

image004py8.jpg

Look in good condition, although the interior is dry and they have rubber hats so as expected really. Left them both to soak in PlusGas.

image039ir6.jpg

bolts came off very easily after a nice soak.

image047ex0.jpg

Slightly more corroded bolt hidden under the top washer on the suspension.

image048jz4.jpg

Ohh yes! You'd think this would just turn and turn as I'm not holding the flat faces at the top. Do not underestimate the Plusgas-Erwin combo :nono:

image057em4.jpg

Wonder how long those rubber mounts had been there, a little ring of rust around the inner edge.

image050fw2.jpg

...and stay down! Absolutely foobed suspension.

image051kt3.jpg

Those bump stops used to be in one piece...about infinity years ago.

image052fg1.jpg

First top plate I've seen with a hole! looking forward to handling when I get the Sachs Gas shocks on :clap:

image053ut3.jpg

More destruction...I do kinda need to use those springs, but it's not looking promising is it!

image054en2.jpg

Bye bye twin turbos.

image069qy6.jpg

Note to self: don't get "big air" on old suspension.

image055dn0.jpg

image056nj4.jpg

Arches. You KNOW I'm gonna scrub these to a DBP finish! 8)

image040lc9.jpg

Beam off the car. Doesn't look too bad really, some obvious rust but 80% of Wax coating is still present.

image041bo4.jpg

image042km9.jpg

image043nc8.jpg

image044bm7.jpg

Ah.... those would explain my little wiggle in the wet a few months back.

image059kw5.jpg

image060da4.jpg

image061hn0.jpg

Not too bad for what could quite possibly be the original 17-year old rear beam. Hopefully will still see some service yet.

image045xz9.jpg

Not looking forward to prying those apart!

image046ub7.jpg

Wasn't it nice that the person who swapped the BPR kindly replaced the bracket too? Oh wait, he didn't. Or the spring. :bonk:

image062hx5.jpg

Artsy :camp:

image063cu4.jpg

image064mx9.jpg

Brackets from beam to chassis. Can't remember if I have any new ones of these... I'll have to look through my parts warehouse :lol:

image065cy2.jpg

Personalised back box....by my finger :lol:

image066hc9.jpg

Random underside shot. That zorst bracket could do with changing! Nice to know Powerflow put stainless fittings on too :bonk:

Another good few hours work! New beam still needs to have bushes pressed in, but I can get all the other stuff ready to go on. One of the calipers is being reused so that'll need prepping and new seals, and I need to make up about 79 hard brake lines but it's all part of the fun I guess! :wink:

Just realised I didn't need to attack the BPR as it bolts to the car and not the beam. Oh well :nuts: Braking system is a good place to swap out parts for new anyways.