boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

had a composites lab and played with carbon fibre tonight, that was pretty cool. Prepreg stuff it was, all sticky :nuts:

gotta write a report on it too, i'll try to get some pics up of it soon.

Used my japan-english photo translator 8)

Eew! :gag: I think your photo translator is a little off cos that's not close. At all. In a galactic sense.

But I suppose it would only add fuel to the fire to mention that the gift has a dual vibrate function? :?

I see I may have to post a spoiler pic just to stop those with imaginative minds from self-combusting! :lol:

Just putting up the brake lane renewal pics to keep my thread (and my motivation!) alive.

tpiecelinefrontmostofmabp9.jpg

Disconnecting dead lines from brake master cyl.

imgp0514nz5.jpg

The ream of copper-nickel. Massively more stiff than the copper stuff which pretty much all snapped when we took it off. Dead front to rear lines lying on the floor too.

imgp0510kl9.jpg

flaring the ends of the lines in the flaring tool in the vice!

imgp0512lj8.jpg

new front to rears on. They look good! put the rear beam bracket back on temporarily to make sure the lines could screw into the bias valve which they did. Ace.

imgp0509vh1.jpg

imgp0507rd7.jpg

One of the main lines and how it attaches in the engine bay. Need to get a new union: it's supposed to join to the other free ended line next to it, although I will probably replace that one too when I have the time.

imgp0513ok7.jpg

Me bending one of the shorter rear beam lines. This one goes from the valve to the little hose bracket on the beam bracket itself, fair amount of twisting and manipulating needed! Managed to fit it in the end though.

good work! glad to see your using copper nickel, in my last job i was working for a piping company and we used to supply copper nickel pipe to several navies around the world to pipe seawater around warships! its the best material for the job by far, much better than stainless for corrosion resistance against salt water spray.

Cheers matt,

it was Pete who did all the work really! I was feeling really lazy that day and just a bit down so was cool to have him there being all enthusiastic!

**Project Plum / Me now on sabbastical until further notice.**

Not for too long i hope - i really do enjoy reading this thread, the 'Plum' developments and of course the superb pics you provide.

God Im glad Im not a student anymore, the drinking and fornicating was great but the doing the work bit sucked :D

Keep up the good work with the car and the assignments!

I'm not really here, but:

image011pc8.jpg

Started off by making sure the spring compressors were lubed up.

image012eh3.jpg

Weapons of choice

image014gx4.jpg

Odd rear bumpstops! Didn't think they went this way up but they fit into the shroud so I guess it's right.

image015oq3.jpg

Starting to take shape.

image016sk1.jpg

Hmm, running out of threadage to put the last bits on the top (yes, they'll need slight disassembling to go on the car)

image017ah6.jpg

Debating whether to strip these down and waxoyl the top plates etc. We all know how they like to crumble!

image019ti7.jpg

Spring hardly needs any compressing. Even the Bentley says you can remove spring from strut without doing this part.

image020qx5.jpg

Tada, pretty much all done save the large washer and nut on the top underneath the bowler hat :lol:

image021mm3.jpg

Oh wait, what's this? Oh probs something for the rear beam in the wrong parts bag. No, deffo suspension related...

image022ej3.jpg

Oh right. So that little ring sits under the spring on the bottom plate....pants.

image023ys9.jpg

Ok.... from the top (or bottom)... good job these don't take long to sling together.

image024ib1.jpg

Hooray :clap: all assembled.

image028wh3.jpg

Other one took a lot less time! :nuts:

image029zl6.jpg

Think the residue on the rubber mounts is the coating which has cracked under compression.

*disappears without a trace*

image028wh3.jpg

Other one took a lot less time! :nuts:

image029zl6.jpg

Think the residue on the rubber mounts is the coating which has cracked under compression.

*disappears without a trace*

Not to self: put rubber mounts on the right way up :brickwall:

Hi Jon hows it going mate? I've just been browsing through your thread seeing how the old girl is getting on, looks like your doing a cracking job :clap: Looking at some of the problems you've had i feel kinda guilty for selling it to you :lol: but it seems as if your in your element. So is corrado ownership living up to expections? I must admit I've missed the rado but it was probably a little above my level of experties. Good work mate.

Hi Russ,

Yeah, it's doing alright! I have had some problems, but most of them I knew about so it's ok. Changing all the parts out is something I had planned to do seeing as the original price was so low, so I had allowed for it which was good.

Well, the last 2 months it's been sitting up on stands with the rear axle stripped off, so I think I'm a genuine Corrado owner now! :lol: Just about to do a mini update :grin:

So... here I am, back again, in 2009. Still fighting!! :clap: I did my classic search for Project Plum to find this thread again and it wasn't coming up :pale: I thought it had been "pruned" due to inactivity :eek: so I'm glad it's still here - maybe the search is a bit wonky (or maybe I'm a tard master).

Anyways, it was quite mild in Oxford yesterday so I jumped under the back of stella (the minx). I'm still wrestling with had brake line which goes from the BPR to the offside beam bracket (where it connects to the first rubber hose, then to the solid which runs along the beam, and THEN to the hose which connects to caliper). I pulled the rear box off the exhaust (it needs new hangers and a new clamp anyways) and to my annoyance traced the hard line from the BPR area (i.e. just in front of OSR wheel arch) along the floorpan, behind the box on the centre pipe, and then UNDERNEATH the heatshielding. Damn, this is gonna be harder than I thought.

Dropping off the mid pipe isn't a major issue really, but the heatshielding has these kinda spigot ring washers which clamp the shielding to the floorpan, and the hard line goes underneath this (I guess shielding brake fluid from heat isn't a bad idea!) so I guess I will be dropping this off too.

I'm really concerned about my fuel pump too. I think Pete_Griff has seen it in person: the back plate is pretty rotten and a lot of stuff is loose, some of it (accumulator IIRC) is hanging purely by its hoses which obviously isn't good! I'm gonna try and get a whole new unit although I might get an uprated one which will cover future upgrades etc, Facet Red Top springs to mind but I think that might just be a buzz word from reading too many other project threads! :brickwall: I also want some silicone hoses too (my header tank has emptied in 2 months, more on that later) so the costs are adding up...

Uni wise, things are hectic. I have a couple of killer assignments to do. Luckily they're group projects but one of the guys has decided he doesn't understand it so I'm doing a fair chunk of the stuff with the other guy, which is a little shíte to be honest but not much I can do about it now, he'll just get less marks than Tom and I. the First project is a Four Bar linkage system that needs to be analysed kinetically and kinematically and is a ball breaker. It's 15% of the module mark and has taken us easily over 100 hours so far, and is just plain hard. The other is a 3D design project to take an old water pump design and modify it to be more efficient, simpler and cheaper to produce, and then we cost it up and put forth a product brief. That's pretty interesting, but get this, this project is 50% of the module mark and is way easier than the other stuff. I swear Dynamics comes from Hell... <_>

So yeah, that's the update so far. I still owe a couple of people money on here for parts, so I've messaged you guys (sorry!) to sort it all out.

Here's the revised PP To Do list:

Engine Crane Hydraulic Oil - £Check (the piston took a dump of its contents so I need to go about pricing up a refill)

New front G60 calipers exchange - £ask Prod/VAG (the pistons seized in the bodies of the others I picked up, but no biggy really)

3/16” brake line fasteners and unions - £Check (to finish hard brake lines - one of my fronts literally snapped under it's own weight! V SCARY)

3 x Bolts for rear beam /BRV - £VAG (those three little bolts for the new beam/BPR bracket I am putting on)

New rear caliper exchange (possible) - £VAG (getting a bit bored of tidying up calipers, so I might see what the exchange price is on a rear)

Lapse Insurance and Renew March 09 - ~£500 (Using this loan's money to finish the car all being well(!) and then March's to reinsure/tax :grin: )

SORN Tax (expires Jan 09) and Renew March 09 - ~£100 (as above)

MOT Car when finished - £50+ (hopefully it won't need much, the fuel pump will prob fail in it's current state and I need to check over the drivetrain too)

Silicone Coolant Hoses - £150 (yeah, the header tank's emptied itself so must still have a leak somewhere. I need to pull the radiator to put the fresh new crossmember / rad support panel on anyways but it's still a worry :/)

So yeah, plenty to get on with! Glad to be playing with the spanners again :salute:

Hi matey!

No I wasn't planning on being to be honest, I have deadlines for next week :/

but if you fancy making your way over to Cowley, no doubt ProdigalSon and I could have a mini-meet!! ha ha. PM me if you like.

I haven't been on DCO in about 3 months which is really bad seeing as I was one of the first mods appointed there :cuckoo:

so are you doing all the hard brake lines then. I didn't do that one that runs above the exhaust section as mine seemed in pretty good condition compared to the to others. Looked a bit of a git to get to as well (main reason) :lol: