dinkus

The definitive VR6 cooling guide

My radiator fan comes on as soon as the ignition is on, would any one hazard a guess and say this is the yellow sensor playing up.

Edited by captainredeye

I had an issue where the fans would keep running with the ignition switched off and it was the sensor in the radiator, so worth checking both that one and the yellow one in the thermostat housing.

Mine seems to read over 100 at the gauge, but the fans haven't kicked in, I have had the rad fan switch out and heated it up and he fans came on, I replaced all the 3 sensors but have bought a febi 4 pin one for the ecu incase it was that, but after reading again it's the next one on to the left that runs the gauge? Is that right

Gauge is run by yellow temp sensor. Black is fan speed 3 and blue is ecu (2 pin normally, 4 if it's a/c).

Have you had vag com plugged in and seen what temp that says it is for comparison?

I have noticed that the fans in my VR come on but only run for 5 seconds at a time then cut off and within a minute they come back on again only for about 5 seconds and the process repeats over and over. I also noticed after a long journey they come on once the ignition is switched off but again it's only for a handful of seconds.

Where should I start to check?

Fraser

I have noticed that the fans in my VR come on but only run for 5 seconds at a time then cut off and within a minute they come back on again only for about 5 seconds and the process repeats over and over. I also noticed after a long journey they come on once the ignition is switched off but again it's only for a handful of seconds.

Fraser

Me too - just noticed this the other day - parked up after a drive in heavy traffic and temp was getting around 100 but on turning ignition of fan was on for a few seconds then went off - watching this thread for info

Fraser

that sounds about right fraser

the fans will only come on when required & for as long as required. the timings would be controlled by the temp sensors I believe & fans will only come on as & when necessary

what else makes you think you have an issue? are you seeing odd temps?

Me too - just noticed this the other day - parked up after a drive in heavy traffic and temp was getting around 100 but on turning ignition of fan was on for a few seconds then went off - watching this thread for info

relax david they are meant to do that :) lol

similar to the aux water pump - which is designed to run after engine switch off so as to circulate coolant round the system to aid cooling of the block if the temps sensors say it needs it.

the VR block has lots of very small water channels for the coolant to flow through to aid removing the heat - IIRC this is why you should never use a product like rad seal as it blocks the said water channels

if you read the definitive cooling guide on here I think that states at what temps each of the 3 stages of fans kick in - EDIT ha ha ha sorry guys only just realised this post was on the cooling guide thread lol

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

relax david they are meant to do that lol

similar to the aux water pump - it is designed to run after engine switch off so as to circulate coolant round the system to aid cooling of the block if the temps sensors say it needs it.

the VR block has lots of very small water channels for the coolant to flow through to aid removing the heat - IIRC this is why you should never use a product like rad seal as it blocks the said water channels

Thanks for that... I wasn't sure if it was a problem then saw the latest post on this thread and thought I would check.... Cheers again

Thanks for that... I wasn't sure if it was a problem then saw the latest post on this thread and thought I would check.... Cheers again

no probs m8 - happy to share the love of the info

there are quite a few quirky things with our VR's but they are there for a reason mostly

I really like the programmable intermittent wiper function for example & use it a lot :)

No problem, I will keep an eye on it. There's a slight leak at the top of the rad and I have noticed that the temps can hit 100-110c in traffic.

Fraser

No problem, I will keep an eye on it. There's a slight leak at the top of the rad and I have noticed that the temps can hit 100-110c in traffic.

Fraser

those temps are normal for a VR m8, I get the same. normally the fans will kick in before water temps reaches 110 & bring it down a little, as per what the sensors & 3 stages of fans are meant to do :)

also, FYI I had a new thermostat fitted about 10k ago when stealth did my engine work & new stats are engineered by VW to sit around 90 as standard on the dash gauge

pls bear in mind the part I wrote about rad seal products if your rad is leaking

Yeah, I'll not be adding rad seal to the engine. The car goes in to the body shop tomorrow and I'll be switching the bumper over once it's back. I'm tempted to replace the rad with an aluminium one. Anyone got any experiences with them?

Fraser

Going to replace the radiator in the VR, the current one has a slight leak that the top. Thinking about an aluminium one. Has anyone fitted one or could recommend any particular one to fit? I see there are millions on eBay. I would also consider fitting one that comes with fans. Any help appreciated.

Fraser

That's about how long mine run for. Seems ok with mine as it keeps the temperature down when needed.

Going to replace the radiator in the VR, the current one has a slight leak that the top. Thinking about an aluminium one. Has anyone fitted one or could recommend any particular one to fit? I see there are millions on eBay. I would also consider fitting one that comes with fans. Any help appreciated.

Fraser

Ahh the joys of owning a fettled car and trying to determine what's been done etc. Fraser if you do decide to fit a radiator and run the spal fans I have the spal mounting brackets which ChrisL done a small batch of I won't be needing them so if you do let me know hope you are enjoying the car👍

Hi James, yeah the cars been good. Useless in the wet weather though. It's just back from the body shop getting all the rust cut away and fixed. So it's in the garage ready to go back together, but I'm wanting to address any issues while I'm putting everything back on it. If I change the radiator, I will go for and aluminium one, will these brackets fit or would it only fit the standard VW rad? I noticed Vaghag had to get a special bracket from Chrisl for his radiator.

Fraser

I believe that's the one I have though maybe one or both of the Chris's can confirm.I'll be in touch regarding Door cards if you are still interested in time

There's a good chance I will take these brackets off you anyway. Could you pm me a price? God don't tempt me with door cards please!!

Fraser